Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by uyeahu View Post
    Do you have a source confirming that's the case? A link perhaps?
    This will have to do, given my personal time constraints:

http://interstatedeposition.com/comp...atewitness.htm

A subpoena issued by a state court is valid only within its geographic boundaries. Consequently, a subpoena issued in a state within which an action is pending cannot be used or served in another state to compel a non‑party witness who resides or works in the foreign state to give testimony or produce records.
    And look at the definition of "unavailable as a witness" under California Evidence Code section 240.

The principle is equally applicable to sovreign countries as it is to different states within the United States. If you want to know more, you might do your own research or go down to your country law library and ask the librarian there.

According to the Wall Street Journal they tried to have the documents unsealed and were unable.

In a statement, the Swiss Justice Ministry said it had asked for records of closed-door 1977 court hearings to determine whether Polanski had effectively served his full sentence, but a Los Angeles Superior Court judge decided in May that the records had to remain secret, according to WSJ. As a result, the Swiss said, they couldn’t determine whether Polanski had already served his full term. So, “the proceedings on which the U.S. extradition request is founded…would have no foundation,” said the Swiss Justice Ministry.
    So this was not a matter of they could have done it if they really wanted to. And the Swiss decided to take the word of Polanski and his attorney over that of the California and US Attorney General's that he has not served his term.
    You shouldn't believe everything you read in a blog, even when it's on the website of a leading newspaper, in this case The Wall Street Journal.

From an article published on May 6, 2010:

Prosecutors are asking a Los Angeles judge to reject a request by Roman Polanski’s attorneys to unseal transcripts of closed-door testimony in the case.

Polanski’s attorneys want a judge to unseal testimony earlier this year by the original prosecutor handling the case, Roger Gunson. They say it will help their efforts to fight Polanksi’s extradition from Switzerland, where he remains on house arrest.

Prosecutors on Thursday argued in a court filing that Polanski’s motion should be rejected because he remains a fugitive.
    So there you have it. The hearing was this year, not in 1977, the prosecutors actively opposed unsealing the transcript, and the blogger you quoted didn't check his facts very well.
    Last edited by Squibble; 07-13-2010 at 10:54 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MOIJTO View Post
    I believe it has to do with drugging the 16 year old and having sex without her consent. Of course that is not rape...
    Actually she was 13, not 16. Her grand jury testimony is available online for any who'd care to read it. I'm sure the prosecutors were concerned about how a trial would go since it was a 13 year old girl testifying against a sympathetic celebrity director with powerful friends. Geimer has never recanted her testimony, nor to my knowledge said she wouldn't testify against him if subpoenaed.

vCash
    Of course that is not rape...
    Or, as expert Whoopi Goldberg tells us, it wasn't rape-rape. So good to know.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    So the prosecution scuttled the extradition.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Actually she was 13, not 16. Her grand jury testimony is available online for any who'd care to read it. I'm sure the prosecutors were concerned about how a trial would go since it was a 13 year old girl testifying against a sympathetic celebrity director with powerful friends. Geimer has never recanted her testimony, nor to my knowledge said she wouldn't testify against him if subpoenaed.
    Thanks, Yup, protecting their own, disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    Or, as expert Whoopi Goldberg tells us, it wasn't rape-rape. So good to know.
    Hmm, I guess when I was 17 I was raped raped, glad Whoopi cleared that up for me! (she is disgusting too)
    Without fear you cannot find courage

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Sorry, how's this - kiss my simple ass Jackie. Better?
    How about you two take your niceties to PM?

vCash
    Johann Hair being furious about Polanski being let free:
    http://johannhari.com/2010/07/13/con...lks-unpunished

vCash
    Hmm, I guess when I was 17 I was raped raped, glad Whoopi cleared that up for me! (she is disgusting too)
    I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sorry you went through that. I know a few people on this board have been through something similar, and I know a surprisingly large number of people in real life who have been raped or sexually assaulted, including myself (not raped, thank God), and it really disgusts me that people are trying to mitigate what Polanski did. There is no justification.

However, I honestly do not believe there was any Swiss conspiracy to free him. Anyone who has been on the wrong side of Swiss administrative procedures ()knows that they stick to the rules, whatever they may be, no matter how stupid they seem etc.

It is really unfortunate and I hope that there is another chance in future to make Polanski face justice.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Those who are very angry with the system need to remember that it works both ways.

If such procedures weren't in place, there would be nothing to stop innocent people being convicted for various personal or political reasons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Who is Johann Hari?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Sparrow View Post
    Who is Johann Hari?
    He's a journalist working for The Independent.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sorry you went through that. I know a few people on this board have been through something similar, and I know a surprisingly large number of people in real life who have been raped or sexually assaulted, including myself (not raped, thank God), and it really disgusts me that people are trying to mitigate what Polanski did. There is no justification.

However, I honestly do not believe there was any Swiss conspiracy to free him. Anyone who has been on the wrong side of Swiss administrative procedures ()knows that they stick to the rules, whatever they may be, no matter how stupid they seem etc.

It is really unfortunate and I hope that there is another chance in future to make Polanski face justice.

But as long as there is power and money to keep Mr. Polanski on the lamb, oh well.
    Without fear you cannot find courage

vCash

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    But as long as there is power and money to keep Mr. Polanski on the lamb, oh well.
    Is he made of mint jelly?
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Is he made of mint jelly?
    No, I think rosemary is more likely.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    No, I think rosemary is more likely.
    That joke was

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Thanks for the link. Interesting Polanski quote:

"But... ****ing, you see, and the young girls. Judges want to **** young girls. Juries want to **** young girls. Everyone wants to **** young girls!"

I guess you learn something everyday.

vCash
    I fail to understand people who are defending Polanski. You can not talk about this and see him only as an amazing director (matter of opinion if you ask me) and pull the line that he is a grown man, as he was back in 1977 and not taking responsibilities for his actions that he already confessed to is immoral and should be condemned by everybody.

The fact that his victim moved on is not an issue her. The fact that she has forgiven him - is not an issue. Would this case have more merit if his actions completely ruined her life? Would that be all to take for Polanski to be taken to the court and tried in front of the jury?

I love when people who are defending him say how it was " a mistake from 30 years ago". Rapists make "mistakes".
    Mistakes for being caught.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    Thanks for the link. Interesting Polanski quote:

"But... ****ing, you see, and the young girls. Judges want to **** young girls. Juries want to **** young girls. Everyone wants to **** young girls!"

I guess you learn something everyday.
    Yeah I love that one.

And it's a lie too, I mean I want to f*** grown men.

vCash
    Shocking the pedophile won't get extradited...
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345