vCash

Car rentals and suchq

I just got back from a vacation that I (we) could not afford. I wont go into detail but I have a question about car rentals.

I rented a car for the day through the hotel lobby. It was supposed to be $50 a day. I used the car for half a day but the minimum you could rent it was a day. So that was fine. I actually had the car for about 6 hours and returned the car to valet at the hotel as I was asked. I didn't sign up for any insurance extras as I already had auto insurance. When they brought me the car, there were two little noticeable dings on the driver's as well as the passenger's doors. I pointed that out to valet, and he said I might want to write it down on the rental agreement (I guess because I was concerned about it.) I also said I would refuel the car when I returned it. It was way past the full mark and when I returned it, it was just a little past the full marks because there was no gas station in sight close to the hotel, plus I got lost a little, otherwise Id on't think the gas gauge would have moved at all.

Will I be raped for the additional refuel charge and will they try to go after me for the obvious dents? I didn;t write it on the receipt because I didn;t want them to mistaken it for my damages.

I ended up paying $15 for garage parking, plus the $50, and now maybe even more for the gas refueling. I should have just called a friggin taxi.

It hasn't been billed to my charge card yet. What can I expect?

vCash
    If the fuel gage was at full, you shouldn't be charged for the refueling. In fact, what does your receipt say? Does it say anything about fuel level upon return? If so, it should say you returned it full. But I don't remember if my last rental car receipt showed the fuel level or not.

The dings - so long as you wrote those down on your rental agreement, you're good. You don't write the dings on your receipt; you mark them on the rental agreement - in other words, you make note of them on the paperwork when you received the car, and that's what you did, and that's correct.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

Banned Member
    vCash
    First rule of car rental:

Walk the car and document ALL and any dents, scratches etc. Second READ the contract more than once if you need to.

Also most rentals require you return the car with the same amount of gas that was in the car when you rented it. You most likely will be charged for the refueling as it was in the contract most likely.

The only benefit I have come to learn is that you don't need to buy the extra insurance but...make sure you check with your car insurance to make sure a rental is covered, if not buy the insurance.
    Without fear you cannot find courage

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupid View Post
    Will I be raped for the additional refuel charge and will they try to go after me for the obvious dents? I didn;t write it on the receipt because I didn;t want them to mistaken it for my damages.
    First of all, I think you should be OK with the gas part. They know you have to drive from the gas station. That being said, raped is probably a good term for it. The last time I had anything to do with rental cars (March) they were charging $8-9 per gallon if you forgot to refuel. My boss dropped me off at the airport and left the rental car there. We were talking in the car on the way over and we both forgot about the gas. Even though he told me a story how he had forgot one time before (and it cost him $80).

As for the dents, as other said, you should have written them down on the rental agreement. Hopefully they know about them already and are not going to claim you made those. It depends on the place, I guess. But next time inspect the car and put everything you find in that form. You're protecting yourself that way.

Good luck!

vCash

Update

Strange. My credit card has not been billed yet for the car. I searched for the rental agency invoice by my driver license number and found that I had only been billed about $5 for gas - nothing else - nothing for the two dents that were there when I got it, thank goodness!

However, the credit card number on their bill, the last four digits is all you could see, were NOT mine, not even close. So I don't know if that's just a special code or something, but my card has not yet been billed, even though it said transaction was charged to the card on July 12.

They must have just filled the tank to the fill line and called it a day. The card was past the full line when I got it and when it was returned it was just slightly below that line.

Does it normally take this long for the transaction to be posted when it comes to rental cars? Wondering if someone else got charged for it.