Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash

Switzerland Won't Extradite Polanski to the US

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/07/12/...ex.html?hpt=T2

CNN) -- Switzerland will not send Oscar-winning filmmaker Roman Polanski to the United States to face child sex charges, the Ministry of Justice announced Monday.He is now free, the ministry said.
    Switzerland was not making a decision about the severity of the charge or whether Polanski was guilty, Justice Minister Eveline Widmer-Schlumpf said.
    "It's not about qualifying the crime. That is not our job. It's also not about deciding over guilt or innocence," she said.

Banned Member
    vCash
    No surprise there!
    Without fear you cannot find courage

vCash
    An article from the month of May where Polanski tells his side of the story. The original (which I don't know if it's online) was in French. I don't know if it is anywhere in English. Sorry.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    This seems like a dumb move by Switzerland. This is such a highly publicized case and now many people are aware that Switzerland wont extradite. Will they see an influx of criminals running to their country? If they extradite everyone else then it looks like favoritism because of who Polanski is.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    The Swiss rejected the American request because the United States did not supply all the legal records Switzerland requested, and because Polanski had a reasonable right to think he would not be arrested if he visited the country, she said.
    I don't know much about international law so can't comment on on the "reasonable right" but it sounds like the American justice bureaucracy is partially at fault here.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    This seems like a dumb move by Switzerland. This is such a highly publicized case and now many people are aware that Switzerland wont extradite. Will they see an influx of criminals running to their country? If they extradite everyone else then it looks like favoritism because of who Polanski is.
    The Swiss will extradite. They have in the past and they will in the future. They're just not extraditing this particular man because there seem to be some serious questions over the actual procedure on the US side, not because he's famous.

It's not favouritism, they won't see an influx of criminals (having one of the strictest immigration policies in the world) but reading between the lines, the US has failed to follow the correct procedure and the failure to follow due process is one of the main reasons that decisions are overturned in any case.

The Swiss wouldn't have arrested him in the first place if they had no intention to extradite.

Didn't the girl in question not want anything to do with this case, anyway? Didn't she beg for the charges to be dropped?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    It's rather ridiculous how he was able to freely travel all these years and then somebody decided they are going to further their career or reach some other political end by going tough on his case.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    Didn't the girl in question not want anything to do with this case, anyway? Didn't she beg for the charges to be dropped?
    Yes. She's a grown woman now and doesn't have any ill-will towards Polanski.

vCash
    I don't really care what the reasons are that someone decided to get tough on this case. I hate, hate, hate that he is a child rapist yet gets a whole lot of sympathy, including a standing ovation at the Oscas. And is excused because he's an arteeeeeste.

Seriously, is this a man who really deserves freedom:

The girl testified that Polanski gave her both champagne and Quaalude, a sedative drug, and despite repeated protests and being asked to stop, he performed oral sex, intercourse and sodomy upon her.[57][58][59][60] A grand jury charged him with rape by use of drugs, perversion, sodomy, lewd and lascivious act upon a child under fourteen, and furnishing a controlled substance to a minor
    I really don't care if the girl in question now wants it dropped to protect her privacy--that anonomity is gone anyway. It's a bigger issue than that. It really pisses me off. But then, I'd have arrested Jack Nicholson and Anjelica Houston too for aiding Polanski. They were present and offered the girl no help or assistance and were well aware of what was going on.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    But then, I'd have arrested Jack Nicholson and Anjelica Houston too for aiding Polanski. They were present and offered the girl no help or assistance and were well aware of what was going on.
    Really? I never heard that before. That's disgusting.

vCash
    ITA, Matryesha.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    And this is a dumb post. Jen pretty much said everything I wanted to say, so please refer to her post

vCash
    Also, in most countries, he would not be liable for prosecution any more because of the statute of limitations.

And no, that doesn't mean I have any sympathy for him. I just have no sympathy for the tabloidisation of the legal system either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Also, in most countries, he would not be liable for prosecution any more because of the statute of limitations.
    I believe he was already prosecuted, and found guilty. Wasn't he? I thought (and it was a while ago) he fled after sentencing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    I really don't care if the girl in question now wants it dropped to protect her privacy--that anonomity is gone anyway. It's a bigger issue than that. It really pisses me off. But then, I'd have arrested Jack Nicholson and Anjelica Houston too for aiding Polanski. They were present and offered the girl no help or assistance and were well aware of what was going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahclear View Post
    Really? I never heard that before. That's disgusting.
    Anjelica Huston was at the house. Jack Nicholson was not. In the police interviews, Huston said she thought the girl was older. (I know there is the one photo of Geimler from the time where she looks young, but even the police or probation report said that the girl looked like she could be 18.) Also, from what I've read, Huston only actually saw the girl after the sexual encounter. They spoke briefly, but Geimler never said anything about what had happened.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post
    I believe he was already prosecuted, and found guilty. Wasn't he? I thought (and it was a while ago) he fled after sentencing.
    He pled guilty under an agreement with the prosecutor that he would serve no further jail time. When the judge indicated that he would not accept that agreement -- and told others that he would come down harshly on Polanski --Polanski fled. There was no trial and no actual sentence was actually imposed.

vCash
    I imagine he'll be able to finish his latest movie project: "Close Encounters With The Third Grade". Understand his birthday is now a statutory holiday in Polnad. Oh, there's a million of them......

vCash
    I got the impression that the US wanted to go forward with the case because he had made a mockery of the justice system?

Isn't POlanski the former husband of Sharon Tate who was murdered several years ago? That must have really adversely affected him.

vCash
    In 1969 the 8 1/2 months pregnant Sharon Tate was one of the victims of Charles Manson and his followers. This was one of the most horrific murder spree cases in US history.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnipeg View Post
    I got the impression that the US wanted to go forward with the case because he had made a mockery of the justice system?

Isn't POlanski the former husband of Sharon Tate who was murdered several years ago? That must have really adversely affected him.
    My wife was murdered so I'll go rape a 13 year old? Had he gone after Manson with an uzi, I'd understand his reaction. There's just no excuse for this.

I seriously doubt Anjelica Houston did not know the girl's actual age, and even if she didn't, and even if she was 18, how could she condone the drinking and the drugs? It would still be rape. What, she just invited Roman Polanski over and left him and the girl alone and had no idea what actually happened, or what was going to happen? I call BS big time on that one.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast