Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Richard Callahan always get the short end of the stick when it comes to Shizuka's World title. IMO, he deserves way more credit than TT for this.
    Very true. A very bad oversight on my part.

vCash
    It's being reported that Mingzhu Li is going back to China, and all of her students need to find another coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    It's being reported that Mingzhu Li is going back to China, and all of her students need to find another coach.

Will she quit coaching?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post

Will she quit coaching?
    Apparently, she accepted a position with the Chinese federation. I'm not sure if she will actually be coaching.

vCash
    Apparently, she accepted a position with the Chinese federation. I'm not sure if she will actually be coaching.
    I don't want to veer OT, but now I'm intrigued about who will coach CZ if this is indeed true...And if true, this may be a blessing in disguise for CZ: Being forced to another coach who may not put up with any B.S. from pupil or mom.

vCash
    The reports are that Caroline is now being coached by Tammy Gambill.

EDIT : bad spelling

vCash
    The reports are that Caroline is now being coached by Tammt Gambill.
    HMMM. never heard of her. Can anyone surmise if this is a good thing/bad thing/wait and see?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I don't want to veer OT, but now I'm intrigued about who will coach CZ if this is indeed true...
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    HMMM. never heard of her. Can anyone surmise if this is a good thing/bad thing/wait and see?
    Here's the source thread for the Caroline Zhang / Tammy Gambill / Mingzhu Li hearsay info where discussion is ongoing: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=72595&page=24

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    ^ TARASOVA. It would have been expensive for Johnny, but it would also not have been a cheap substitute.

The only way Johnny could had gone to Tarasova is if she moved to the United States. Johnny had said he wanted to train with someone in Russia and the usfs objected.

vCash
    Not quite a change, since he was still with Lee, but I found that when Jeff Buttle added Rafael Aratunian to his coaching team his speed and triple axel improved, so that was an improvement in his coaching.

Nobu leaving Lee Barkell for Nikolai Morozov = bad move. Nobu leaving Morozov to go back to Barkell for the upcoming season makes me

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    The only way Johnny could had gone to Tarasova is if she moved to the United States. Johnny had said he wanted to train with someone in Russia and the usfs objected.
    In his blog, he said it was about money.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    Not quite a change, since he was still with Lee, but I found that when Jeff Buttle added Rafael Aratunian to his coaching team his speed and triple axel improved, so that was an improvement in his coaching.

Nobu leaving Lee Barkell for Nikolai Morozov = bad move. Nobu leaving Morozov to go back to Barkell for the upcoming season makes me
    I totally agree. Sometimes skaters need to seek opinions of other coaches, and make things a team approach - if that is what is best for them, they will know quickly. This is why so many clubs (Mariposa being a prime example) pride themselves on their team approach to coaching. A lot of skaters need to be told something by multiple people before they will trust the words.

However, sometimes a total coach change is what you need. (ie. when Barkell had Buttle, Russell, Langlois/Hayes, Jamie Forsythe, the Dolemans and Moscovitches all under his coaching, it was too much and some had to leave because Buttle and Langlois/Hayes were getting all the attention).

vCash
    Abott going to Sato and Takahashi leaving Morozov were the best latest I can think of!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallcolor View Post
    Thought he had his best programs with Morozov. Even though his work isn't everyone's taste, i think a skater as talented as Takahashi would have been able to inspire more original ideas from Morozov...
    Really? When he was with Morosov, I always felt he deserved better choreography. Lots of flash with not much in between. I much preferred his programs from Camerlengo and Miyamoto.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by senorita View Post
    Abott going to Sato and Takahashi leaving Morozov were the best latest I can think of!
    I don't consider Abbott's coaching change as among the best or worst. I thought he traded one coach with one set of strengths for another with a different set of strengths.

Living on his own was a smart decision though

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    In his blog, he said it was about money.

In an interview right after Johnny switched to Galina, he said he made a list of possible coaches but his mom and the federation both said no to him moving to Russia to be coached.

Searching for Sergei Verbillo's lost stache
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzie Bear View Post
    Really? When he was with Morosov, I always felt he deserved better choreography. Lots of flash with not much in between. I much preferred his programs from Camerlengo and Miyamoto.
    Miyamoto and Camerlengo are just as amazing choreographers; their personalities are a great match. His SP by Miyamoto was my favourite men's SP last year, ... I loved his LP by Camerlengo too even if it was not as good the short.

With Morozov, i felt maybe, he was already breaking through after 2008, and thought his partnership with Morozov reminded me of Yagudin's progression under TAT/Morozov. Cyber Swan was legendary, and loved his EX to Bachelorette! Can't think of any other 2 programs that displayed such the beauty of his skating! Loved the original choreography. which is why i wonder what Morozov would have given him the following season had they not split. And i don't think Morozov is a cookie cutter choreographer at all. He knows which skaters are talented, and caters to their abilities. (most of them time!) Again, he reminded so much of Yagudin so i must wonder what would have happened if they continued.

But thank god, after he left Morozov, he decided on getting 2 of the more exciting choreographers to make his Olympic programs! He definitely has good taste
    Last edited by Fallcolor; 07-16-2010 at 02:43 AM.

vCash
    I think Miyamoto was the one who choreographed the Bachelorette exhibition (which I agree was freakin' awesome.) I liked the Cyber Swan SP that Morosov gave him, but I felt he didn't really know what to do with Daisuke in the LPs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallcolor
    But thank god, after he left Morozov, he decided on getting 2 of the more exciting choreographers to make his Olympic programs! He definitely has good taste.
    Yes! I love the Amelie program; can't wait to see the new SP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I don't consider Abbott's coaching change as among the best or worst. I thought he traded one coach with one set of strengths for another with a different set of strengths.

Living on his own was a smart decision though
    I meant he changed for better, not that previous coaching was bad. After 2008 season he needed only forward to go. I think that Sato put Abott in another level, this year he looked more matured and his programs had strong personality, he stood out great! Except for the couple of meltdowns..

Takahashi techno swan was really a great idea of Morozov, this was a hit. Morozov is better in sps, maybe Oda's chaplin is an exception, In Morozov era was also romeo and juliet of Takahashi?? But still since he left him, he looks more confident and with control of his own skate

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by senorita View Post
    I meant he changed for better, not that previous coaching was bad. After 2008 season he needed only forward to go. I think that Sato put Abott in another level, this year he looked more matured and his programs had strong personality, he stood out great! Except for the couple of meltdowns..
    But that's exactly my point. His old coach has experience Sato doesn't have, but she may be a better match for Jeremy in some ways. I think it's just like with all teachers we've had in life isn't it? Some teachers are good at something; others at other things, it's hard to say who's better for Jeremy. Besides, no one knows for sure how a skater would have progressed if the change had not been made, nor do we know Jeremy's progress is due to change of scene or change of coach or even change of heart.

Given how the discussion goes, I think the jury is still out on Sato.

Jeremy has all the tech. goods to win, so I suspect it's really up to him at this point, so I don't think Tom Z. vs. Sato is the ultimate difference in his skating. That said, living on his own and all that perhaps will make a difference.
    Last edited by jlai; 07-16-2010 at 05:12 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast