Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    But it doesn't have to be that way.

I think in general, it is that way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    Under California law, Penal Code section 632, it is illegal to tape a private phone call without every person's consent. A violation is a misdemeanor, subject to a possible $1,000 fine and, iirc, a short jail sentence. The recording also cannot be used in any judicial proceeding, except for a prosecution under that law. I believe a victim of a recording may also sue for $1,000. (I've had the law come up in a few cases, but it's been awhile, so I'm going on memory.)

Given this law, the Gibson recording cannot be used in court and Oksana could get in legal trouble for the recording. As a practical matter, the PR impact will probably mean nothing happens to her.
    There is a California case, People v. Crow (1994) 28 Cal. App. 4th 440, that allows the recording to be used for impeachment. So, depending upon Gibson's testimony (if any) at any custody or support hearing, the tape may still be used.

vCash
    I wonder if her attorney is more at risk that Oksana. The penalties for secretly recording your jerk of a baby's daddy are so mild compared to what can be gained by releasing them publically.

But advising your client to break the law is a whole other kettle of fish.

We don't know that her attorney did that, but if I was his attorney, I'd be interested to know who helped her.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    off the topic of recording conversations, and I was half alseep when I thought I heard this, but on the view this morning, Whoopie said that when people drink they say all sorts of things they don't mean.

That she knew Mel, he has been over to her house, that she never heard this type of language from him and that alcohol does a lot of stuff to people. And Joy Behar was screaming that he was a bigot. The producers were desperately trying to get them to go to commercial break.

Anyone else hear or see that? I was in that "I don't feel good took some cold medication in and out of sleeping mode"

vCash
    Whoopie irrates me sometimes with her excuses. During the whole Chris Brown - Rhianne domestic abuse issue, Whoopie issued this warning on The View (I'm paraphrasing here...) "Ladies, if you hit a man, there's a good chance he's going to hit back... " I was like WTF? It's almost like she was giving Chris Brown an excuse to hit Rhianne if she hit him first.

I don't buy the excuse that being drunk make things come out of your mouth that you've never thought about. Of course Mel is not going to show his ugly side when he's among friends or the public. His image is/was that of an all around good guy, and he had to wear that mask all the time.

vCash
    In Vino Veritas. When you're drunk, the filter between your brain and your mouth goes away. Those thoughts were in Mel's head, and wine took away his inhibitions toward saying them. It's not that he turns into a racist/misogynist/antisemite because he's drunk.....instead, when he gets drunk he forgets to hide the fact that he IS all of those things.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Whoopie irrates me sometimes with her excuses. During the whole Chris Brown - Rhianne domestic abuse issue, Whoopie issued this warning on The View (I'm paraphrasing here...) "Ladies, if you hit a man, there's a good chance he's going to hit back... " I was like WTF? It's almost like she was giving Chris Brown an excuse to hit Rhianne if she hit him first.

I don't buy the excuse that being drunk make things come out of your mouth that you've never thought about. Of course Mel is not going to show his ugly side when he's among friends or the public. His image is/was that of an all around good guy, and he had to wear that mask all the time.
    She also defended Michael Vick saying things like "They're dogs not people". Cruelty to animals is usually the first step towards cruely to people. As for Gibson ,he basically admitted to assaulting Oksana on and could end up in jail.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by susan6 View Post
    In Vino Veritas. When you're drunk, the filter between your brain and your mouth goes away. Those thoughts were in Mel's head, and wine took away his inhibitions toward saying them. It's not that he turns into a racist/misogynist/antisemite because he's drunk.....instead, when he gets drunk he forgets to hide the fact that he IS all of those things.
    A drunken man speaks a sober mind.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I agree with you. But, on some level Whoopie is right. Chris Brown had no right to hit Rhianne, regardless of her hitting him first. But, she had no right to hit him either. And any woman who doesn't appreciate that by hitting some guy, you run the risk of escalating the abuse to physical, is foolish. She doesn't deserve it, but it's not the best idea.

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    That is an old wives tale. It doesn't work like that.

Watch me move
    vCash
    And any woman who doesn't appreciate that by hitting some guy, you run the risk of escalating the abuse to physical, is foolish.
    Please tell me you didn't just say that.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Please tell me you didn't just say that.
    Why? Please tell me you don't understand what I meant. Do you think hitting someone is ever a good idea? Do you think that if you hit someone, there is a good possibility that they will hit you back? Do you think it's okay for a woman to hit a man? Do you think it is foolish to not consider they might hit you back?

I didn't say that a woman who hits a man is asking for it. I said, essentially, that before you hit someone, you had better consider that they might hit you back. And that it might be a good idea to control yourself.

vCash
    I agree with Cruisin. No one should hit anyone else.
    Hey, you guys keep talking about all Mel's money, his wife took at least half of it and he is still paying child support for several of their children.
    He can't keep on financing pictures that bomb for long.
    I haven't been able to stand the sight of him for years. I feel the same way about Tom Cruise.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Why? Please tell me you don't understand what I meant. Do you think hitting someone is ever a good idea? Do you think that if you hit someone, there is a good possibility that they will hit you back? Do you think it's okay for a woman to hit a man? Do you think it is foolish to not consider they might hit you back?

I didn't say that a woman who hits a man is asking for it. I said, essentially, that before you hit someone, you had better consider that they might hit you back. And that it might be a good idea to control yourself.
    I did not say anything about the woman asking for it. What I can't believe is that you would essentially say a woman who's being hit by a man should just let him do it and not resist.

Of course it's not right for anyone to hit anyone else. But if you're being hit first, to sit there and just let yourself be beaten up is not a sound strategy either.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    I did not say anything about the woman asking for it. What I can't believe is that you would essentially say a woman who's being hit by a man should just let him do it and not resist.
    Where did I say that? I said that a woman should not hit first because she is likely to be hit back and that can never be good.

If the man hits first, the woman should grab whatever heavy object is near her and cream him. Or she should run as far as she can immediately and get help. I never, ever said a woman should not defend herself, I said she shouldn't start it.

Obviously, you misunderstood my post.

vCash

Of course it's not right for anyone to hit anyone else. But if you're being hit first, to sit there and just let yourself be beaten up is not a sound strategy either.
    She admits she hit him first. And I think it was more than once.
    That doesn't make it right for him to beat her up, but, let's get the story straight.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    In Vino Veritas. When you're drunk, the filter between your brain and your mouth goes away. Those thoughts were in Mel's head, and wine took away his inhibitions toward saying them.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu View Post
    That is an old wives tale. It doesn't work like that.
    Well, in my case, I lost my best friend for drunken behavior that I don't remember and can't believe I behaved so meanly. I'm pretty sure that nothing in my sober mind had any desire to bang on her door and call her names like slut and whore (because she wouldn't get up out of bed and give me the pint of vodka she had). I still remember that shocked feeling I had when I was wondering why she was avoiding me and several others in my residence told me they wouldn't speak to me either, if I'd treated them that way. I haven't been drunk since.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    Well, in my case, I lost my best friend for drunken behavior that I don't remember and can't believe I behaved so meanly. I'm pretty sure that nothing in my sober mind had any desire to bang on her door and call her names like slut and whore (because she wouldn't get up out of bed and give me the pint of vodka she had). I still remember that shocked feeling I had when I was wondering why she was avoiding me and several others in my residence told me they wouldn't speak to me either, if I'd treated them that way. I haven't been drunk since.
    (((rjblue))) I'm so sorry that happened. I do believe that sometimes the awful things said while drunk are not necessarily things that are covered up in our personalities. I think that sometimes, when drunk, we can get angry and say whatever we can think of to be the most hurtful, to get what we want at the time. Things we know are not true and things we don't really think. And, more important things that we are horrified by in the morning. But, in Gibson's case, I do think there is some underlying problem.

Were you ever able to smooth it over?

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Were you ever able to smooth it over?
    No. It's one of my biggest regrets.

At least I never repeated the mistake. Mel hasn't learned anything from his, apparently.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    {{{rjblue, you maybe lost a friend, but at least you've learned from your bad experience}}}

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast