Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    Gibson belongs to an ugly holywood history.

He has enough money to make movies, all right, but I hope that the # of audience they will reach will be: 0.
    Amen!
    He has squandered himself, personally and professionally.
    His first wife is well rid of him; all others should be forwarned.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Gibson allegedly beat up Grigorieva in January, knocking out 2 of her teeth. She began recording calls because she was afraid of him (from the accompanying article in the original link).
    This reeks of control freak and bullying from him. I despise him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    This reeks of control freak and bullying from him. I despise him.
    Yup.

This is pretty minor compared to all the crap he's done and said, but he once made milkshakes for the cast in one of his movies, including one for Joaquin Phoenix, who's a strict vegan. Mel went ahead and put an egg in Joaquin's milkshake as a "joke". Hardy har har.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    Take this with a grain of salt, because it's from IMDb, but he's reportedly bipolar. That + alcohol = very, very bad. Some of my relatives have bipolar disorder, and on occasion (before the right medication was found for the person in question) things have come very close to violence.

I'm not excusing Mel. I only wonder what would happen if he got proper treatment, took his meds, and swore off the booze. He might be able to pull himself together and clean up his act -- if he's willing to try.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Honestly, though, I know plenty of bipolar people - unfortunately - who don't EVER utter racial epithets.

HE IS A RACIST who happens to have bi-polar disorder, apparently. The two things are NOT always found together.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Understood. But if he could get some help and his head on straight, then maybe -- maybe, I'm not saying definitely -- he could realize that he has a problem there and needs to work on it.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Yup.

This is pretty minor compared to all the crap he's done and said, but he once made milkshakes for the cast in one of his movies, including one for Joaquin Phoenix, who's a strict vegan. Mel went ahead and put an egg in Joaquin's milkshake as a "joke". Hardy har har.
    Now if that isn't a red flag.....on the surface it seems humorous, but that was cruel and sadistic.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    If Roman Polanski could continue to make movies despite being a wanted man for child sex crimes then I think Gibson can continue to make movies as well, but ONLY as director. I don't think we will see him acting again for a very very long time.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    The William Morris agency just dumped him as a client. So his career definitely will take a hit. But I agree with BigB08822; given the example of Polanski's career, Mel could probably continue as a director.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by susan6 View Post
    The William Morris agency just dumped him as a client. So his career definitely will take a hit. But I agree with BigB08822; given the example of Polanski's career, Mel could probably continue as a director.
    Not trying to defend what Polanski did, but he has a much longer and better track record as a director than Gibson does.
    Plus, Polanski was only involved in the one criminal incident (although IIRC an actress in one of his later films recently came forward to make allegations of a similar incident). He certainly doesn't have the history of multiple incidents that Gibson does.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    As I said earlier, the comparison isn't about the abhorrent behavior, because obviously there is no comparison. But what I was getting at was many critics, pundits etc. said Cruise's career was over after his rantings, much like they are saying the same things about Mel. And clearly Tom is still working. I suspect Mel will too.
    Tom is working but his movies haven't been doing so well in the box-office since the various incidents in 2005. The only film that I can remember that Cruise appeared in and was received well critically and financially was Tropic Thunder. Of course, RDJ stole the show and rumors floated around whether Tom was really like Len Grossman behind stage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    If Roman Polanski could continue to make movies despite being a wanted man for child sex crimes then I think Gibson can continue to make movies as well, but ONLY as director. I don't think we will see him acting again for a very very long time.
    Yeah, for some reason, Polanski has been forgiven by Hollywood. But I don't know if I could even watch a movie Gibson directed anymore.

vCash
    I certainly can't watch Polanski's. There are some I would have liked to watch, including The Pianist and Oliver Twist. But drugging and raping a young girl is a dealbreaker for me.

vCash
    I did see The Pianist, but honestly, I didn't realize that Polanski directed it until the Oscars . I can't say I won't watch it again; I watch Woody Allen movies too, despite his fall from grace (and his concurrent cluelessness). And when The Year of Living Dangerously comes on, I feel compelled to watch it - not because of Mel, he's a cipher to me now, but mainly because of Linda Hunt's amazing performance as Billy Kwan. She made that movie - NOT Mel.

vCash
    As far as Woody Allen and Roman Polanski's movies: while they both lost their charm as people, it still didn't make me to ignore their movies.
    With Gibson the situation is totally diferent, he had too many incidents in which his true colors came up uglier time after time, and I have to admit that I lost any respect for him after his The Passion of the Christ.
    It is after this movie's release that he said 'my father never lied to me', when he was asked to respond to his father's Holocaust denial.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Jodie Foster has always come across as a smart, savvy and no-nonsense woman to me. I can't imagine that she would want to work with a man who is racist and misogynist.
    She knew of his neanderthal views on women when she worked with him on "Maverick" and went on and on about what a great guy he was.

I think she'll stand by her bud.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    It is after this movie's release that he said 'my father never lied to me', when he was asked to respond to his father's Holocaust denial.
    Which was telling. And disappointing. His dad is an absolute moron.

vCash
    With Gibson the situation is totally diferent, he had too many incidents in which his true colors came up uglier time after time, and I have to admit that I lost any respect for him after his The Passion of the Christ.
    He SAID that?!?

I think Christians latched onto that movie because it was (and is) very rare for Christian-themed movies to make it to the mainstream; nobody wanted to believe that the guy behind this "great" movie had bad intentions.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Indra486 View Post
    Tom is working but his movies haven't been doing so well in the box-office since the various incidents in 2005. The only film that I can remember that Cruise appeared in and was received well critically and financially was Tropic Thunder. Of course, RDJ stole the show and rumors floated around whether Tom was really like Len Grossman behind stage.
    You are correct, Tropic Thunder is about the only good movie Cruise has been in lately. Valkyrie was bad, Knight and Day was kinda ridiculous, but if you look at his imdb page, he's got a lot of things coming up...

Mel's next film is already in the can, "The Beaver" about a guy who communicates only through a beaver hand puppet. Gotta feeling Jodie Foster is sorry she cast him...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Mel's next film is already in the can, "The Beaver" about a guy who communicates only through a beaver hand puppet. Gotta feeling Jodie Foster is sorry she cast him...
    Wow. It sounds like his career was already on the decline before the latest outburst, if this is the sort of work he was getting.....
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast