Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Gibson belongs to an ugly holywood history.

He has enough money to make movies, all right, but I hope that the # of audience they will reach will be: 0.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post

If I stop seeing the movies and buying the CDs of asshats, I will need a lot more books.
    Not to mention some asshats who write pretty good books.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Not that Tom Cruise hasn't said some really stupid things and then got all defensive about being called on them, but I think Mel's idiotic behaviour is a lot more idiotic than Cruise's. At least Tom Cruise hasn't dumped his wife and run off with someone who he then assaults and threatens.
    All of that is true, my point was many people were saying Cruise's career was finished and he's still putting out films. None of them are any good, but he's working.

Mel's antics clearly are far worse, but if there's money to be made, he'll work. The question is, does anyone think he can open a film now? I bet Mel will take a role or two at scale just to get in front of a camera, but even that might not be good enough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Racist, anti-semitist, misogynist, drunk, abusive, asshole? I sure hope as hell it is.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post

He has enough money to make movies, all right, but I hope that the # of audience they will reach will be: 0.
    That too!
    Last edited by Cheylana; 07-10-2010 at 05:58 AM.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Mental issues not withstanding - he is an asshole.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Mel's antics clearly are far worse, but if there's money to be made, he'll work. The question is, does anyone think he can open a film now? I bet Mel will take a role or two at scale just to get in front of a camera, but even that might not be good enough.
    Taking a role or two at scale would be an admission that Mel is no longer at the star level he used to be. I can't see Mel conceding that. I think he will use whatever $$$ he has to make self-centred self-financed films, and then will complain about being crucified by Hollywood for his views when those films tank.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Jodie Foster has always come across as a smart, savvy and no-nonsense woman to me. I can't imagine that she would want to work with a man who is racist and misogynist.

vCash
    He comes off as a control freak with a violent streak which makes one wonder how abusive his relationship with his wife Robyn was.

Is there any segment of society Mel hasn't managed to alienate recently? Also his hypocrisy is just mind boggling since he seems to think his religion's rules apply to everyone except himself.

I think the violence has always been there if most of his movies are any indication. Maybe it's just that with the alcohol issues all that darkness he used to be able to hide from the general public is now out in the open for everyone to see.

It's all about the money and greed in the movie business so if he is unable to generate money, and seen as a liability, he'll be dropped.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Taking a role or two at scale would be an admission that Mel is no longer at the star level he used to be. I can't see Mel conceding that. I think he will use whatever $$$ he has to make self-centred self-financed films, and then will complain about being crucified by Hollywood for his views when those films tank.
    He'd work scale if they gave him a piece of the gross is what I should have said. That way he can bleat on about how much he believes in that particular project that he'll work on commission so to speak.

My guess is that he'll direct and not go in front of the camera much, as that will be easier to get around his...issues

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Tom Cruise is still working after his idiotic behavior, so will Mel.
    You can't compare Cruise's jumping on Oprah's couch to Mel's racist angry rant.

vCash
    I gave this guy the benefit of the doubt during the last incident but not now. Mel is done. I think that no one in his/her right mind will put him in any of their movies.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    I've never forgiven him for his bastardization of history in Braveheart and The Patriot. He deserves severe rebuke for those two pictures, no matter how entertaining they were or how lovely the cinematography. Horrible, horrible history, and Braveheart quite anti-homosexuality as well. To say he is anti-British is an understatement. Why, I have always wondered. Seriously, he's a jerk for more than making 2 historically incorrect movies, and I could've hated him just for that. But wait-there's more!
    I have never seen these movies, Mel Gibson has never had my attention, its that "intuition" thing I have for slimy men.

Knowing your knowledge of history, I will never see them!!!
    Without fear you cannot find courage

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny12 View Post
    I think with Tom Cruise, his behavior was more weird and goofy while Mel Gibson's was offensive and violent. Yeah, jumping on the coach and claiming he understands the history of psychology is wacky, but I think overall it's something people can laugh at, while Mel Gibson's is something to be disgusted over.
    Tom Cruise's behavior was more than weird and goofy. He insulted women (the existence of post partum depression) and any person who has ever taken a medication for any psych disorder.

However, he was not violent of racist.

If this tape was recorded by Grigorieva, one has to wonder why. Women do not plan and set up to record the men in their lives, unless there has been some sort of on going abuse.

When Gibson was in the "Lethal Weapon" movies, I was always amazed at his ability to look crazed, in certain scenes, it seemed so real. Not so amazed anymore, it was real.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post

Amen!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Racist, anti-semitist, misogynist, drunk, abusive, asshole? I sure hope as hell it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    I've never forgiven him for his bastardization of history in Braveheart and The Patriot. He deserves severe rebuke for those two pictures, no matter how entertaining they were or how lovely the cinematography. Horrible, horrible history, and Braveheart quite anti-homosexuality as well. To say he is anti-British is an understatement. Why, I have always wondered. Seriously, he's a jerk for more than making 2 historically incorrect movies, and I could've hated him just for that. But wait-there's more!
    He got in trouble for making homophobic comments when he was promoting "Bird on a Wire" with Goldie Hawn. Some unsavory comments about anal sex.

From Wikipedia (in red for obvious reasons):
    The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) accused Gibson of homophobia after a December 1991 interview in the Spanish newspaper El País. Asked what he thought of gay people, he said, "They take it up the ass." Gibson then proceeded to point at his posterior and said: "This is only for taking a shit." When reminded that he had worked closely with gay people at drama school, Gibson said, "They were good people, kind, I like them. But their thing is not my thing." When the interviewer asked if Gibson was afraid that people would think he is gay because he's an actor, Gibson replied, "Do I sound like a homosexual? Do I talk like them? Do I move like them? What happens is when you're an actor, they stick that label on you."[91][95] Gibson later defended his comments on Good Morning America, saying, "[Those remarks were a response] to a direct question. If someone wants my opinion, I'll give it. What, am I supposed to lie to them?"[95] In his 1995 Playboy interview, he responded to GLAAD's protests over his comment with "I'll apologize when hell freezes over. They can **** off".[88] Eventually, however, Gibson joined GLAAD in hosting 10 lesbian and gay filmmakers for an on-location seminar on the set of the movie Conspiracy Theory in January 1997.[96] In 1999 when asked about the comments to El País, Gibson said, "I shouldn't have said it, but I was tickling a bit of vodka during that interview, and the quote came back to bite me on the ass."[89]

Gibson has been criticized for homophobia over his films Braveheart[97] and The Passion of the Christ.[98]

vCash
    Remember that Simpsons episode about how Gibson couldn't get any good criticism for his movies because everybody just loved him so much? I bet we don't see that one popping up in reruns any time soon.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    He got in trouble for making homophobic comments when he was promoting "Bird on a Wire" with Goldie Hawn. Some unsavory comments about anal sex.

From Wikipedia (in red for obvious reasons):
    It's sad that he is this way. It's sad that he thinks this way, and sad that he does not have enough sense to keep his ugly thoughts to himself.

As far as his career. I suppose that it will be hurt, as those of us who are offended by what he says will boycott. But, let's not forget that there are other racist, misogynistic, homophobic asshats out there who will still think he's great.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    It's sad that he is this way. It's sad that he thinks this way, and sad that he does not have enough sense to keep his ugly thoughts to himself.
    When you had too much to drink and/or get extremely angry, your true feelings tend to come out. I think it's good that racist people don't have the sense to keep their true feelings to themselves, otherwise how else would you identity them.

As far as his career. I suppose that it will be hurt, as those of us who are offended by what he says will boycott.
    Mel is so rich now that financially it won't hurt him if he never appear on camera again.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    If this tape was recorded by Grigorieva, one has to wonder why. Women do not plan and set up to record the men in their lives, unless there has been some sort of on going abuse.
    Gibson allegedly beat up Grigorieva in January, knocking out 2 of her teeth. She began recording calls because she was afraid of him (from the accompanying article in the original link).
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    You can't compare Cruise's jumping on Oprah's couch to Mel's racist angry rant.
    As I said earlier, the comparison isn't about the abhorrent behavior, because obviously there is no comparison. But what I was getting at was many critics, pundits etc. said Cruise's career was over after his rantings, much like they are saying the same things about Mel. And clearly Tom is still working. I suspect Mel will too.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast