Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

Mel Gibson: Is his career over?

Haven't seen a thread of this yet.

For those not in the loop: Click here

Now news of this today: Click here

I can't imagine he'll be able to recover from this. I think he's done.

Thoughts?

vCash
    Although in Hollywood, celebrities have recovered from scandals, Gibson's behavior collectively, IMO, is probably too much for a comeback, at least any time soon. If a comeback is possible, it would be many, many years down the road.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    And that would be Ari Emanuel of the Entourage Ari Gold/Rahm Emanuel fame. I don't see him ever representing Gibson. Ever.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Stick a fork in him, he's done.
    Honestly, from the behavior he has exibited the last few years, I think he may have mental issues.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    He definitely seems to have addiction issues, with at least alcohol.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I think so he prob announce rehab within 24 hours

vCash
    That is even more severe than Alec Baldwin's phone call to his daughter...

vCash
    The thing is, Mel has been financing some of his movies on his own, so in a sense he's his own boss. He can make a picture and all he would need is a distributor, which despite Mel's troubles, he'll probably find. Don't forget, he's one of the richest guys in Hollywood(The Passion was a huge cash cow), so money isn't a problem for him.

So no, his career isn't over, but one wonders how successful he will be. And he's been directing more than acting lately, which works to his advantage. But if he puts out something akin to Lethal Weapon, somehow I think he'll be forgiven.

Tom Cruise is still working after his idiotic behavior, so will Mel.

vCash
    One would hope it would be, but Gibson's like the proverbial bad penny. He keeps coming back, and coming back, and coming back. He should have been done a long time ago.

I, however, will continue to boycott his movies, whether he's starring in them or producing them. I kinda just lost some respect for Jodie Foster for being in a movie with him.

While he definitely has alcohol abuse problems, it's not an excuse for what he said, and I'm tired of the "it's the alcohol talking" excuse. Alcohol does not make you think things like that; it just lowers inhibitions so that you say what's actually going on in your head.

I read about this on popeater I think a few days ago, and the comments excusing his behavior were just
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    He disgusts me.

But all he needs to do is come up with a project Hollywood considers bankable and they'll fall all over him. And there is enough movie goers (and movie makers, hello Jodie, ) in the world who don't give a shit about anyone's politics and/or beliefs if the movie is what they want to see.

vCash
    Racist, anti-semitist, misogynist, drunk, abusive, asshole? I sure hope as hell it is.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    Done, now go away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post

Tom Cruise is still working after his idiotic behavior, so will Mel.
    Not that Tom Cruise hasn't said some really stupid things and then got all defensive about being called on them, but I think Mel's idiotic behaviour is a lot more idiotic than Cruise's. At least Tom Cruise hasn't dumped his wife and run off with someone who he then assaults and threatens.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Dear Melbie,
    When you seem to hate almost everyone, karma will catch up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by piano18 View Post
    That is even more severe than Alec Baldwin's phone call to his daughter...
    Uh, well especially since Alec Baldwin hasn't also said horrible things about gays & Latinos; denied the Holocaust existed. Etc. Etc. Etc.

vCash
    I listened to the tape. It is ugly and horrible. But has anyone confirmed that it actually is Gibson? It sounds odd, like it's staged. Or maybe, I just can't imagine talking to someone like that, or saying horrible things like that. How reliable is the source?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I listened to the tape. It is ugly and horrible. But has anyone confirmed that it actually is Gibson? It sounds odd, like it's staged. Or maybe, I just can't imagine talking to someone like that, or saying horrible things like that. How reliable is the source?
    Grigorieva was the one who taped it and took it to the authorities. Allegedly.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Was the incident in January? When was the tape given to the authorities?

If I stop seeing the movies and buying the CDs of asshats, I will need a lot more books.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    I've never forgiven him for his bastardization of history in Braveheart and The Patriot. He deserves severe rebuke for those two pictures, no matter how entertaining they were or how lovely the cinematography. Horrible, horrible history, and Braveheart quite anti-homosexuality as well. To say he is anti-British is an understatement. Why, I have always wondered. Seriously, he's a jerk for more than making 2 historically incorrect movies, and I could've hated him just for that. But wait-there's more!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    One would hope it would be, but Gibson's like the proverbial bad penny. He keeps coming back, and coming back, and coming back. He should have been done a long time ago.

I, however, will continue to boycott his movies, whether he's starring in them or producing them.
    If the movie going public would boycott his movies, whether he acts in them or produces them, he would loose his income source and hopefully disappear forever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Not that Tom Cruise hasn't said some really stupid things and then got all defensive about being called on them, but I think Mel's idiotic behaviour is a lot more idiotic than Cruise's. At least Tom Cruise hasn't dumped his wife and run off with someone who he then assaults and threatens.
    I think with Tom Cruise, his behavior was more weird and goofy while Mel Gibson's was offensive and violent. Yeah, jumping on the coach and claiming he understands the history of psychology is wacky, but I think overall it's something people can laugh at, while Mel Gibson's is something to be disgusted over.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast