Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash

Fellow FSU Knitters I Need Your Help Please!!

Okay...I'm still in that not really Intermediate, but also not past the Beginner stage when knitting in the round w/multiple needles, but I'm getting there. Here's my problem though. When I'm going from one needle to another, such as the last stitch being a purl on the one needle and then to a knit stitch on the next needle, it's not a problem and looks fine.

*But*...When I'm going from a knit stitch on the one over to a purl on the next, that's different. I'm getting laddering and it looks *awful.* I have tried every single way of wrapping the yarn, putting the needle into the stitch and also tension of the yarn and...Nada!! It still happens.

Anyone got any idea of what I'm doing wrong? Not only is it driving me nuts, but anything I make that calls for this (usually a three needle project for the needles making up the round) looks not so great. Considering I do knitting and crochet for Charity, I understandably don't want to send in socks or mitts w/ribbing looking like garbage.

Just because someone's in a Shelter or gets one of my items because they're Homeless and has been given something I've made through the ER, doesn't mean they can't have *one* nice looking thing for their own.

Not to mention future Christmas presents for family and friends.

So...Anyone? Thanks in advance for the help!!

vCash
    I've been told that tightening the 2nd stitch of the needle will help even out laddering- but tightening that 1st stitch can actually make it worse.

My solution is everytime I get to the end of a needle, I knit 2 stitches off the next needle. That way the space for the ladder moves every round. I can see the stitches are a bit wonky while I'm knitting, but as soon as I'm done and wash it or block it, they even out perfectly. If there is no constant gap, there can't be a constant ladder!

Are you on Ravelry? If you knit, you need to be.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Always pull your first 3 stitches on your next row tight. It takes a bit of getting use to.

Are you knitting with DPN or a circular in the round? Even with a circular you need to make sure you are snugging those first 3 stitches.

I have been knitting for 30+ years and I still have problems. Sometimes its the type of needle you are using that makes snugging those stitches easier.

I use wood, metal and plastic on a sample to see which needle "feels" right with the yarn I am using.

Try that too! Good Luck!
    Without fear you cannot find courage

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    You can also add more DPNs. With 3 needles, there's a lot of stress on the joined areas. With 4 or even 5, there's much less stress and you don't have to tug so hard on the first stitch.

Since DPNs usually come in packs of 6, using more than 3 needles shouldn't be an issue of inventory.

If you want, you could even pass the "first" stitch onto a different needle every so often, depending on if the pattern allows it. That way there won't be a distinct gap going up your work. That's usually my trick when making thumb gussets.

Nobody will be able to tell how you knit your work, so anything that gets it done is fair game.

Good luck!

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    2 hours since the original post and I'm disappointed to see there aren't more knitters, particularly Canadian ones, actively giving advice here like self-respecting figure skating fans ought to.

Maybe they're too busy knitting away while leaving the TV on in the background to old skating tapes

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MOIJTO View Post
    Always pull your first 3 stitches on your next row tight. It takes a bit of getting use to.

Are you knitting with DPN or a circular in the round? Even with a circular you need to make sure you are snugging those first 3 stitches.

I have been knitting for 30+ years and I still have problems. Sometimes its the type of needle you are using that makes snugging those stitches easier.

I use wood, metal and plastic on a sample to see which needle "feels" right with the yarn I am using.

Try that too! Good Luck!
    I actually snug tight the first four stitches I do after going from one needle to the next. Still doesn't seem to work. I'm using DPN's and they're metal, which I prefer after giving plastic ones a try. I didn't like how the plastic ones felt in my hands and I feel I have better control of my tension w/metal needles. Crochet hooks too.

Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    You can also add more DPNs. With 3 needles, there's a lot of stress on the joined areas. With 4 or even 5, there's much less stress and you don't have to tug so hard on the first stitch.

Since DPNs usually come in packs of 6, using more than 3 needles shouldn't be an issue of inventory.
    My Mom suggested that one too and I'll give it a try w/this pattern after I finish this pair. I've got one sock done, but you can see where I went from a K to a P in the joinings of it. Might as well use this pair as a project to try and figure things out on. Especially since I'm keeping them. I always do w/an adult pattern I'm giving a whirl for the first time.

Nobody will be able to tell how you knit your work, so anything that gets it done is fair game.

Good luck!
    I had that discussion w/a very old family friend last summer. She kept trying to tell me I was holding the yarn wrong when watching me Crochet. I finally told her that so long as my tension's right and the thing looks like it should in the end, who cares how you hold your yarn!!

She and my Mom were not impressed. I really didn't care.

I hate that though. As you said, so long as it all works out in the end, who cares!?!

Thanks Everyone for the tips!! I really do apprieciate it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    I actually snug tight the first four stitches I do after going from one needle to the next. Still doesn't seem to work. I'm using DPN's and they're metal, which I prefer after giving plastic ones a try. I didn't like how the plastic ones felt in my hands and I feel I have better control of my tension w/metal needles. Crochet hooks too.
    Ughhh metal needles. I hate the way they feel. I got wooden ones and I'll never go back! They give a little more and they're warmer, so they're more comfortable to hold. They slip less too! You might find that your gap problem is less of an issue in wooden ones because they don't slip.

I got a giant pack of wooden DPNs, all sizes under the sun, from Amazon.

I actually like the Susan Bates acrylic crochet hooks as opposed to the metal ones. Just the way they're shaped, they slide into the loops easier.

Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    I had that discussion w/a very old family friend last summer. She kept trying to tell me I was holding the yarn wrong when watching me Crochet. I finally told her that so long as my tension's right and the thing looks like it should in the end, who cares how you hold your yarn!!

She and my Mom were not impressed. I really didn't care.

I hate that though. As you said, so long as it all works out in the end, who cares!?!

Thanks Everyone for the tips!! I really do apprieciate it.
    Some people are such purists.

I'm all for trying out new holds to see if one works better for me, but I don't consider the other ones "wrong."

vCash
    I HATE using DPN's, I always get laddering. I'm sorry, I don't know any way to fix it. The only way I've stopped my laddering was investing in super tiny circulars such as the 16" and 12" ones. Magic looping also helped me...

vCash
    From Anita18......"Ughhh metal needles. I hate the way they feel. I got wooden ones and I'll never go back!"

I agree. Besides which, you can't use metal needles on an airplane, but you can use wooden ones. Or plastic, but they are often too flimsy.

One suggestion I have seen for snugging up a stitch is to knit into the back of the stitch. There is just enough difference in tension to make the stitch tighter. You could also try knitting the first 3 stitches onto a smaller sized needle, then passing them back onto the proper needle. Again, this will make the stitches a bit tighter. I don't think you would even have to do that every row.

I am a Canadian knitter, but have never taken my knitting to the arena. Why? Because I hold the yarn and needles "wrong" and don't want to see the scornful looks on the faces of those who can produce a fuzzy scarf per day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperBoy View Post
    I agree. Besides which, you can't use metal needles on an airplane, but you can use wooden ones. Or plastic, but they are often too flimsy.
    I've taken metal needles on planes for the past couple of years, and never had any problems doing so.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I've taken metal needles on planes for the past couple of years, and never had any problems doing so.
    Really? Wow!! You're the first I've heard of who hasn't gotten in trouble for that on a plane. Greyhound's even banned them. A friend of mine took out her knitting as she was getting settled before they left Toronto, the bus driver saw it when getting the tickets and actually took it from her. Told her the needles were a safety risk and she'd get them back at the end of the trip.

JasperBoy...I'm a Canadian knitter too and I've taken my crochet to two Cdns and my knitting to one Skate Canada and I've never gotten any nasty looks. In fact, a couple of older ladies came up to me at the one Cdns to tell me they were so thrilled to see someone of my Generation crocheting and keeping the craft alive.

So don't be afraid to bring it along w/you to a skating competition/event. So what if you get scornful looks. At least you're doing it and that's what matters.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for wooden dpn needles. I'm always willing to try something new when it comes to one of the many crafts I practice. Especially if it will help me become better.

vCash
    I took my metal needles with me on airplanes as well, no problem. Even from Norway to New York and back again, no one asked any questions That was Continental Airlines...

anyway, I wish I could help you AragornEllesar, but I'm not that advanced myself, and especially not with english knitting terms. Best of luck!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    2 hours since the original post and I'm disappointed to see there aren't more knitters, particularly Canadian ones, actively giving advice here like self-respecting figure skating fans ought to.
    I'm a bad Canuck -- I learned how to cast on, purl one, knit two, but never learned how to finish it off (I was 7 at the time).

Shall I bring crocheting to Portland just so your delusions of Canuckistani fans are not ruined?
    Last edited by Really; 07-10-2010 at 06:03 PM.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post

Maybe they're too busy knitting away while leaving the TV on in the background to old skating tapes
    No there are not many of us!

Have you joined www.ravelry.com yet? You need to be invited and it takes about 48 hrs but its a very useful site.

Also invest in the little book The Knitting Answer Book by Margaret Radcliffe its very helpful.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    You no longer need an invitation to join Ravelry. Just go here and enter your information.

Knitting in the round is going to be my next challenge.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HisWeirness View Post
    You no longer need an invitation to join Ravelry. Just go here and enter your information.

I was actually pretty surprised at how easy it was. I started with a coaster, then went on to fingerless gloves. I've also knitted with circular needles but find it easier to knit fingerless gloves with DPNs. My wrists are tiny and Magic Loop requires some fanagling.

Picking your way between the multiple ends is kind of fun. It does look rather dangerous when you're in the middle of it.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HisWeirness View Post

Its so easy (you'll fall in love...sorry had to do it) that you most likely will not go back to traditional knitting. I avoid patterns that are not done in the round and I LOVE top/down sweaters. I also love socks on a single circular, I have yet to try 2 socks on one circular, but then again I am a lazy knitter and usually have about 5-10 projects started but never finished!

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Thanks for the tips. Next on my shopping list are some DPNs.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Another note to the novice knitters here:

Find a knitting group or a good LYS (local yarn store) they can be tremendous help for new knitters.

I learned (actually re-learned) from a local sit-n-knit group, plus its a nice evening out.

vCash
    Once again...Thanks to one and all for the help and advice. I really do appreciate it.

It is a wee bit tricky getting started knitting in the round, but now that I'm in that inbetween stage going from Beginner to Intermediate and have done a couple of socks in the round, it's getting easier. In fact, the completed sock of the pair I'm knitting, is the first time I've done a knitted in the round project where I didn't have to start it over again due to a screw up.

Yay me!!

I really do need to check out Ravelry. Since I'm at my sister's tonight, I might just do that. She has High Speed and I'm still stuck on Dial Up, so...

Yeah. Got to love being stuck in Rural Canada...

I have fallen head over heels in love w/Paton's Kroy yarn for socks, but I've made Crocheted in the Round Gloves and Mittens w/it too. That's Paton's version of that yarn that turns into stripes as you work. You wouldn't think it would be warm due to the light weight of the yarn, but I wore a pair of tube socks I made last year w/it (my very first knitted in the round project) to CSOI in Toronto this year, had first row off the ice and even then, my feet will tend to end up being blocks of ice at the end of the show.

Not this year!!

The gloves I make w/it are so interesting looking due to the different stripes you end up getting from having to do the ribbing, then the hand/palm and then the fingers and thumb. I made seven pairs of them for our Church's Christmas Bazaar fund raiser last year and they were all gone w/in five minutes of us opening the doors.

I've been making Preemie and Full Term items for my local NICU since 1996, and I get an awful lot of fullfillment doing it too, but a Cousin of mine has been after me the last few years to start making Adult things for the ER in Sudbury or even for our local Rural Fire Dept to have on hand in the Chief's official vehicle. I'm giving it some serious thought. As I can only make so many socks, gloves and mitts for Christmas gifts, you know?

Anyway...If any one here who also crochets is interested in the pattern, I'll be more than happy to share the link. I found it through the Bev's Country Cottage web site. That one's a must have book marked site if you do any kind of knitting or crocheting. Bev's got just about every freebie pattern link listed by category over there. As well as a few other things.

Anyway...I'm on my sister's computer *and* I've got an early Dr's Appt tomorrow, so I need to boot scoot. Just wanted to say Thank You to one and all again for all of the suggestions, advice and good wishes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast