Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    If I were her coach I would probably take the Arutunian method on Asada's 3axel and have Kostner do transitions into her harder triples so that, instead of stalking them and allowing for time for negative thoughts to creep into her head, she could focus on doing whatever turns she needed to do before takeoff.
    Totally. That's how Valentin Nikolayev works too.

Makes his skaters do jumps from a lot of transitions or do a number of jumps within a very limited space and time frame.

The logic being that if you are able to perform the jump under such restrictions, you are definitely going to be able to perform it "normally." It also mimics the added mental difficulty of competing under competition stress in a way.

I agree that's the kind of training Carolina could really benefit from.

And she needs to work on not telegraphing her jumps so massively in any case.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fan123 View Post
    Kostner is perhaps the most inconsistent skater among the top ladies. At this point, I don't think any changes would yield better results. Her inconsistency and speed has been a trademark of hers, so ingrained in her 10 years of skating, it would be tough to see any drastic changes.
    I tend to agree with you.
    I say..."it is in the hard drive."
    Like Emanuel Sandhu's 3A

vCash
    As a side note, I never said I thought her denial of doing full run-throughs was *the* reason her and Frank didn't work out and/or she left L.A., I just said it was probably a major factor...it's not even really about whether full run-throughs are needed or not, it's about the simple fact that if you are a student and you refuse to do as your coach tells you, because you think you know better than he does, then obviously you do not respect his expertise and working together is a waste of time.

Frank especially is not the type of coach who would allow his student to refuse his training conditions. Someone like Nicks might be more willing to let someone do that, as was shown with Sasha (and it didn't work for Sasha, either).

vCash
    Kostner attempted the flip out of connecting three turns at 09 worlds.

She popped it into a single of course, but I was so shocked to see a Flip attempt out of her that came from turns and right towards the judges. It looked like her loop entrance.

She never did the flip that way before, or ever again after, so I always wondered if that was a brain fart and she got lost somewhere in between the loop and the flip.

Searching for Sergei Verbillo's lost stache
    vCash
    She usually does 3-turns into a loop (like Slutskaya), so i was also surprised when she did it into a 3flip. But maybe it was planned because she was already doing that in the beginning of the GP season at the time even though, iirc, didn't have much success with it.

vCash
    Carolina officially confirmed in front of the journalists yesterday the rumor about her comeback to Oberstdorf, in fact she will be trained by her long time coach Micheal Huth for the new season.

She said that the experience in the US was useful to understand that Oberstdorf is the place where she feels more comfortable.

She also said that the disappointment after Vancouver was big and that she seriously considered retiring but eventually chose to come back to skate the way she likes - and not the way others like - in order to feel free and happy as she used to be.

http://www.wintersport-news.it/it_IT/2178,News.html (Italian)
    Video Interview (Italian)
    http://video.gazzetta.it/ghiaccio-ca...d-00144f02aabc

She also confirmed her music choices:

SP Galicia Flamenco
    FP Aprés-midi d'un Faune - Debussy
    CaroFan™

vCash
    Thanks, eleonorad!

Wheee, Carolina skating to flamenco!

vCash
    Thanks for your information, eleonorad~

vCash

Thumbs up

Afternoon of a Faun, that's fantastic! I've been wanting someone to use that piece of music for the longest time.

Gooooo Caro!!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    Afternoon of a Faun, that's fantastic! I've been wanting someone to use that piece of music for the longest time.

Gooooo Caro!!
    For someone who's long been referred to as looking like a deer on ice, what an interesting choice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    For someone who's long been referred to as looking like a deer on ice, what an interesting choice.
    That's Afternoon of a Faun, not Afternoon of a Fawn!

vCash
    NO offense but , for some reason she reminds me of an ostrich.

vCash
    Cheer up, Caro!!!
    You will fly high again.

vCash
    And let's hope her knee stops bothering her!

vCash
    She said that the experience in the US was useful to understand that Oberstdorf is the place where she feels more comfortable.

Sometimes one has to experience discomfort---frequently, a lot of it----to advance and improve. She is likely to return with little or no improvement over what we have seen in recent times imo. She might as well have followed her instinct and retired imo.
    Last edited by Iceman; 10-10-2010 at 01:03 AM.

living every minute
    vCash
    Hope her costume is properly tailored this year - they have so often looked ill-fitting.
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mevrouw View Post
    Hope her costume is properly tailored this year - they have so often looked ill-fitting.
    She also announced that her costumes this year will be made by Iceberg and not Cavalli anymore. So I'm expecting a drastic change in terms of dresses.
    CaroFan™

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
    As a side note, I never said I thought her denial of doing full run-throughs was *the* reason her and Frank didn't work out and/or she left L.A., I just said it was probably a major factor...it's not even really about whether full run-throughs are needed or not, it's about the simple fact that if you are a student and you refuse to do as your coach tells you, because you think you know better than he does, then obviously you do not respect his expertise and working together is a waste of time.

Frank especially is not the type of coach who would allow his student to refuse his training conditions. Someone like Nicks might be more willing to let someone do that, as was shown with Sasha (and it didn't work for Sasha, either).
    I doubt that disrespect was part of their story.
    Has any non US skater skated under Frank? I think he used to work briefly with Silvia Fontana. My point is that Carolina was a student that needed the most adjustment to work with Frank in USA.
    It just surprised me that this was such a huge problem. One would think they would be aware of this adjustment in training and that it would have been be talked about before agreeing to work together.
    I doubt there is the same formula to work with each person. And I find Frank to be too old and to wise not to know that.

So, probably there were many reasons this did not work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kosjenka View Post
    Has any non US skater skated under Frank? ....
    Surya Bonaly worked with Carroll for a while. Denis Ten is working with him now, I believe.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Afternoon of a faun is a very interesting piece of music. Hopefully she will do something with it and not stick again with her usual etheral style that looks like more like a little girl refusing to grow up. She has to show a mature interpretation this year.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast