Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Searching for Sergei Verbillo's lost stache
    vCash
    Some of her issues remind me of Alissa Czisny's...re: timing of jumps, leading to popping and underrotation. The 3-turn entrance into the flip and toe are much better than the long, forward entry she had before. Fixing this kind of technique in an Olympic season is risky tho.

i'm also starting to wonder if she has major stamina problems too. Even when she starts out gangbusters in a LP, i can't remember if she's ever ended strong, or at least landing a series of clean triples at the back half of a program. Like Sasha

And her going back to Huth is What makes her think he can sort out her nerves now, when it kept getting worse and worse, each year during the past quad? The Verner's current state, makes me worry

vCash
    I wish she would not go back to Huth. And I think that even if she hates it, she should do complete run-throughs of her programmes every day. That is the only way to get her confident with her programmes and it is also good for stamina. Besides muscle memory is an excellent help as one suffers from nerves, I would imagine.

Let It Snow
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallcolor View Post
    I think she and Fassi would have been a good match. Worlds 2010 LP was the first time in a LONG time i've seen that killer drive from her! She fought so hard for everything.
    I think at worlds 2010, for the first time ever, Kostner was risking a lot. She fought hard because she wasn't given another choice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post
    Agree. ...Oh, Thomas
    At least he is training in a variety of other places this summer to try and figure out what training environment is best for him! I don't know what it is with Huth, but it seems like a lot of his students are very very talented, but then they just can't show it in competition on a regular basis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ballettmaus View Post
    Here's a translation of the article.

Leaving to train with Christa Fassi and Frank Caroll hasn’t brought her any closer to her ultimate goal. On contrary: she placed sixth at the World Championships and fell down to 16th place at the Olympic Games. Kostner was devastated – and soon contacted her former coach Huth. “The door has never been closed. I think we can offer her more than day in, day out, doing run-throughs of her programs,” the married father said and who is practically like family to Kostner. If the cousin of retired skier Isolde Kostner will be able to reach her dream, needs to be seen.
    I think this quote backs up what TangerineDream has said about Kostner. My impression from this quote is that doing endless run-throughs probably was a major factor in Kostner leaving Frank Carroll.

living every minute
    vCash
    Too bad, especially if it resulted in the improvement. It's all in what you believe is helping.
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Why is she going back to Papa Huth? She skated so well at Worlds! I thought she and Fassi were a good team! Most of Huth's skaters are very inconsistent.
    It might be just a coincidence but Kostner, Verner, Kovalevski and Smalun as well as Dytrt last season all are/were headcases.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I also have a source that I trust and respect and according to it, Kostner and Carroll simply were not a good match.

I'll try finding out more. If it's true that she has work ethic issues, those would be apparent under Huth as well (or does he not require his skaters to do full-runthroughs: looking at their competetive form, it wouldn't be that surprising ).
    Could it be that they weren't a good match *because* Frank wants full run-throughs and Caroline doesn't think they are useful? When I think of a good match for Frank, I think of someone like Evan who actually has to be asked to train LESS, because he would keep going until the lights turned off at the rink if he was left to his own devices.

I'm not sure they split because of the run-through situation, I just know she doesn't seem to do them. I've actually heard that on the board for nearly the whole season before hearing it from a source, so it seems like a strong possibility that it is at least part of the issue, but I don't know- I didn't see the situation with my own eyes.

With that said, it *could* be that Carolina truly doesn't think full run-throughs are effective training (they are..) rather than her being lazy. I could see her simply not trusting a new coach's advice especially if she's been taught differently for a long time, rather than saying "I won't bother". She seems like someone who is rather headstrong.

Either way I think if she's been with the same coach for ages and the results are not improving, she should continue to consider a change in training styles, but that's for her to decide.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    I saw Carolina Kostner just the day before yesterday in Oberstdorf. She said she hasn't made a final decision yet regarding her coaching situation and training location. She attended the Ice Dome summer camp in Oberstdorf and now will attend Alexei Urmanov's summer camp in Aosta.
    This is the most accurate post I've read in this thread... thanks Eislauffan
    When Carolina will take her final decision that will be surely announced on her official website.
    The fact that things didn't work with Carroll but DID work (and very well, I'd say) with Christa Fassi combine to the fact that Caro decided not to go back to L.A. is a clear sign that there are more than just skating-related reasons for her decision not to stay in the U.S. To state that it didn't work with Carroll because she refused to do full run-throughs is simply ridiculous.
    All that said I just hope she'll be happy with any decision she will take... personally I don't know what would be best for her... if she wants to compete and do well next season though I don't think she has much time left to decide where to settle in...

vCash
    You could just as well interpret that quote to lay blame at Frank's feet, as if he never bothered to put any thought into coaching her on specific moves or details but just had her do run-throughs all the time. For whatever reasons, it didn't work out, and I certainly wish her well if she's continuing.

vCash
    I am sure that speed control and composure have something to do with Caro's inconsistency in jumps. But, reducing speed may not be the solution because she needs lots of speed to do triples in the way she does them.

Vast majority of ladies do their jumps with excessive prerotation off either the skating leg and/or toe-pick (a misnomer really for many skaters). Caro does toe-pick in the textbook way so that there is little prerotation off toe-pick (no toe Axel). In other words, she has to rotate more in the air than those doing prerotation off toe-pick, for instance, in order to execute same triples, which forces Caro on speed. At the same time, her weight demands more speed. So, it is hard to conceive that she may be able to do triples at "normal" speed.

If she wants to reduce speed, Caro may have to lose a few pounds -- though she looks so fit already. Or, she needs to start learning to prerotate excessively -- well, this probably is not quite feasible at her stage of career.

On the other point, working hard is really task specific and individual. Bigger jumps are far less forgiving on any flaw and mistake than smaller ones even if they are the same jump in name, say 3Lz. You just cannot save a flawed big jump as well as you can tiny ones. So, skaters with bigger jumps need to be more precise technically, and girls like Caro and Yuna with so called correct technique have to work much harder to jump in the way they do.

Frank is old school. Caro might not have appreciated his approach and solution to her issues. I don't think either is necessarily wrong though in no way, am I in position to say anything insightful about Caor's problems. But, I doubt that her issue is all psychological or that there is a simple mechanical adjustment to boost her consistency.

At any rate, doing jumps with correct techniques comes at the expense of consistency as their jumps are necessarily bigger (with everything being equal). With only a few lady skaters with correct techniques, I cannot help caring about them. My best for Caro.

vCash
    Coaching changes early in a skater's career do sometimes prove helpful, but, while there might be a few exceptions, I see little evidence they are that helpful when someone has been on the scene as long as Kostner. Think about the changes skaters have made over the years. How many really resulted in a significant change in the skater's
    achievements? Each season the fans get their hopes up that some change is going to turn things around for a particualr skater, but that rarely happens. Kostner has imo achieved her best and is being left behind. She even lost her nationals last year.
    Last edited by Iceman; 07-11-2010 at 10:06 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    But hasn't she been approaching the jumps the same way since she began doing them? Why would the speed suddenly give her issues ?
    With time, her jumping technique has gotten worse, with a big problem of hip.

For sure, speed doesn't allow any skater to make a little mistake in the jump. I remember Laetitia Hubert talking about that in 1994. A little mistake creates a big fall, that's why she prefered to pop !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerine_dream View Post
    No, what she needs is to do full run-throughs. If she's going to be lazy about training then no amount of talent in the world will get her to the top. She could have gone far with Frank but her refusal to do run-throughs and commit herslef 100% to training harder than she had in the past screwed her over, and now she's going back to her previous coach where she can continue to rest on her talent- which is simply not enough.

If what she has done up until now hasn't given her the results she was seeking, she should realize that she should make a change. Changing coaches without changing her training habits won't do squat.
    ITA, seems like she would have figured this out by now. I wonder what she has against complete run-throughs? I think she is very talented & a joy to watch, but geez 'get with the program' if you want to be #1.

vCash
    I like Carolina a lot, but find that Obersdorf/ Huth article most unfair. It is ridiculous to blame Carolina's confidence problems on her one year in the US and act now that Huth is going to fix what had been " undone" by Frank. Frank has nothing to prove- with Michelle, Evan and now Mirai doing so well. I wish Carolina gave LA and a different training style more of a chance. Teacher/ student relationship is so complex, so many things go into it. Wishing Carolina all the best, but I have no trust in Huth, in lieu of all Carolina's and Tomas' issues.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Well, I will look on the bright side. Perhaps she can outdo her incredible performances from 2009 Worlds and Vancouver Olympics. Pure skating comedy.

Seriously though, I hope she finds some CONSISTENCY! She has good skating skills and speed, she just needs something to bring it all together more than once a season. I doubt she continues to be over scored any more, not after such disasters.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    She probably disagreed with Carroll on doing run-throughs because she felt that had nothing to do with getting rid of the negative thoughts in her head. In hindsight, Carroll was probably not the best match because his recent successful students are/ were all somewhat tough competitors to begin with (Kwan, Lysacek, Nagasu).

If I were her coach I would probably take the Arutunian method on Asada's 3axel and have Kostner do transitions into her harder triples so that, instead of stalking them and allowing for time for negative thoughts to creep into her head, she could focus on doing whatever turns she needed to do before takeoff.

Brezina's Nemesis
    Collecting papers to obtain status of a Goddess for Asli
    vCash
    Caro is the only reason why the ladies event is even remotely watchable.
    Forza Caro!
    In Soviet Russia, the skaters lobbychick YOU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

If I were her coach I would probably take the Arutunian method on Asada's 3axel and have Kostner do transitions into her harder triples so that, instead of stalking them and allowing for time for negative thoughts to creep into her head, she could focus on doing whatever turns she needed to do before takeoff.
    And it would cut into the speed as well, giving her time to make corrections.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Kostner is perhaps the most inconsistent skater among the top ladies. At this point, I don't think any changes would yield better results. Her inconsistency and speed has been a trademark of hers, so ingrained in her 10 years of skating, it would be tough to see any drastic changes.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast