Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by igniculus View Post
    Are you kidding? He has the deepest and hardest sit spin positions of the current field, also a beautiful layback too. Weak is the word I'd never use in the same sentence with Takahashi.
    Though they got better as the season progressed, I'd say Takahashi's spins are definitely his weakness. While they improved after the GP series, they were still pretty slow and not that well centered. I'm sure he's aware of this, though.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Oh dear, I think I may have to go lie down for a while, because I actually agree with pretty much everything in this Hersh column....
    Yes me too. Can't believe I'm reading a Hersh article and not getting

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HisWeirness View Post
    Really? I had no idea. No one has ever mentioned this before.

I also thought that I read those words from her before, I just had no idea that Jaana mentioned it that frequently.

I wish Johnny all the best on his future endeavours! I hope he finds what he seems to be looking for.

vCash
    For an eligible skater continuing on at this stage (after the oly judges made it completely clear they don't like what you're doing and you're not capable of doing what they do like) you need

a) to be really rich (which Weir isnt')

b) to find someone else to pay the bills (which I'm not sure if he can do)

c) to be desparate (which I don't think he is).

I imagine he'll do some show skating where he has a following and trying to find some other field with a better (and surer) return on investment.

vCash
    Yep, I agree Hersh is fairly on target with most of his assessments in this article.

Particularly the last part:
    "Every time I hear the melancholy of Saint-Saens' piano-and-cello favorite, I will see the Johnny Weir who could create an exquisite balance between entertainment and sport, between excess and subtlety, between artistry and athleticism -- all in less than three minutes. That picture was a masterwork."

Except I don't personally feel Johnny exhibited excess in his skating performances (except perhaps for his original Bad Romance costume), tho' I know others feel many of his costumes were in excess, they were actually creative and inspiring to many in the skating world. Poker Face routine was pure entertainment with exceptional athleticism and artistry, while most of his exhibitions were generally more lyrical and mesmerizing. My Way, Ave Maria, and Fallen Angel Trio, are absolute masterworks IMO.

Regarding other up-and-coming guys being fabulous and exciting. Yes, there is definitely a lot to look forward to still in watching the men's field, but it was Johnny who "made figure skating exciting" especially circa 2004-2006, and 2007-2008. Whoever agrees or disagrees, there's no doubt the men's field would not be exactly the same today, without Johnny's mold-breaking arc within it.

igniculus, Daisuke has definitely improved his spins, but no kidding, they have been his weakness (especially the position on his camel spin). The thing about Dai is his ability to soak up learning like a sponge, and to take artistic risks. His hard work at dance training and his eagerness to soak up knowledge and move out of his comfort zone have made him the most dynamic and entertaining skater in the men's field. So great to see Dai come back from injury like a supernova in flight.

The deepness of Dai's sit spin is definitely an improvement for him. But talk about deep sit spins with difficult positions, see the below, esp. at 2:06-2:14; 3:02... (actually 3 gorgeous spin passes, and just re the entire performance).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf5t-4HFPOo

Ahhhh... and see how Johnny shrugs his shoulders at the end, seemingly unaware of what he had wrought.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 07-08-2010 at 11:06 PM.

vCash
    Thank god for that.

I am sure he's not going to return to competitive skating. He's going to focus on his Z-list celebrity career now and is most likely going to be able to make a living out of that.

Haribobo - yes Lindemann has retired and is coaching in Germany.

vCash
    Thank you Johnny for making me fall in love with skating all over again. Thank you for being so nice to me whenever I met you at shows.

I hope to see Johnny skate again but most important, I hope he's happy in whatever he does.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    igniculus, Daisuke has definitely improved his spins, but no kidding, they have been his weakness (especially the position on his camel spin).
    What's up with his camel spin? Just because he has shorter limbs and his stretch and posture is not as clearly visible as that of the other guys who are much taller (and have longer legs), he has no particular problems with his camel position.

Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    The deepness of Dai's sit spin is definitely an improvement for him.
    Improvement from what? He's been skating like that before his knee injury/operation too.

vCash
    I would be very surprised if we see either Weir or Lysacek ever again in amateur competition. Evan has moved on to a better life are achieving his goals, and Weir I doubt has the incentive or motivation to do it any longer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by igniculus View Post
    What's up with his camel spin? Just because he has shorter limbs and his stretch and posture is not as clearly visible as that of the other guys who are much taller (and have longer legs), he has no particular problems with his camel position.

Improvement from what? He's been skating like that before his knee injury/operation too.
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    Though they got better as the season progressed, I'd say Takahashi's spins are definitely his weakness. While they improved after the GP series, they were still pretty slow and not that well centered. I'm sure he's aware of this, though.

Dai works hard at improving every aspect of his skating -- that's what makes him so great. Position, speed and centering on his camel spin is not horrible, but not the best. It is a weakness he has worked hard on improving. All skaters have to work hard on improving their elements, and like chipso1 said, Dai is surely aware of what he needs to work on. I saw a cute video recently of Dai meeting with a famous Japanese male ballet dancer who gave him tips on spinning (even tho' dancers do it without skates).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    Looks like he's working on that with Lambiel.

vCash
    Well, little Johnny at JGP 2000 seems quite a while ago ! I still remember his 3Lz-3Lp combo back then and, if memory is not failing me, his Axel-Lp combo as well, possibly on 3A ? that was in practice though. I'm way more sure of his 4T in Torino practice.
    And I can't forget his flamboyance at TEB.

we're getting old...

vCash
    In my mind, Johnny's greatest achievement as a senior is his 2008 Worlds bronze. It was the only U.S. medal of any color at that event.

I wish Johnny the best of luck. And if he does return, I hope it's because he really wants to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    If Sasha could come back, anything is possible. Or at least I'll hope so.
    Sasha's comeback was a total flop though, lets be honest. I mean she said a bunch of stuff how it was all personal, she didnt regret it, who knows maybe she is telling the truth, but I have a hard time believing that was what she had in mind. In fact most comebacks dont pan out well at all, especialy those after a period of time of. Some would suggest Plushenko's comeback was a success, but I think for him coming back and losing the Olympic gold to someone like Lysacek is pretty embarassing for a champion of his status with all due respect to Evan.

Of course these are comebacks of people who were away 3 years or more. 1 year really isnt too hard to come back if a skater wants to. Who knows, in Johnny's case he might take a year off to see how how in demand he is as a show skater, see how much he enjoys being that life exclusively and other things away from competition, surveys how both the international and U.S field fare in his season away, and then maybe makes a decision.

vCash
    Johnny, we barely got to see the best of you on the ice these last years, but the beauty we have seen in your every performance will never be forgotten. Thanks for the journey and thanks for showing us your heart. Namaste!

Follow your heart, and whatever you do, we'll still be watching your every move.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Some would suggest Plushenko's comeback was a success, but I think for him coming back and losing the Olympic gold to someone like Lysacek is pretty embarassing for a champion of his status with all due respect to Evan.
    LOL and ITA minus the due respect to Evan part. (I don't think you really respect him either. )

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Some would suggest Plushenko's comeback was a success, but I think for him coming back and losing the Olympic gold to someone like Lysacek is pretty embarrassing** (I corrected your spelling error ) for a champion of his status with all due respect to Evan.
    OK...not cool. First of all, Plushenko's comeback was totally successful! Maybe not to him, but what he was capable of is impressive. Frankly, this is a deep insult to Evgeni. He wanted to win and was clearly disappointed he did not, but an Olympic silver medal is nothing to shake a stick at. Second, Evan is an amazing athlete and was the reigning world champion coming into Vancouver. He is very consistent and it is quite clear that he worked very hard his entire life to be in top shape for Vancouver. I really do not understand why you consider it embarrassing or a major failure for Evgeni to have lost to Evan. The fact of the matter is, Evan won on technical merit, and he and Plushenko had the exact same PCS score (what a joke!).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I really do not understand why you consider it embarrassing or a major failure for Evgeni to have lost to Evan.
    Consider the poster. 'Nuff said.

Now, can we get back to Johnny?

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Evan is an amazing athlete and was the reigning world champion coming into Vancouver. He is very consistent and it is quite clear that he worked very hard his entire life to be in top shape for Vancouver.
    Working very hard and being consistent doesn't make someone a great or interesting skater. It just means you're dedicated to and determined at your craft and that you're a strong competitor.

vCash
    OK...not cool. First of all, Plushenko's comeback was totally successful! Maybe not to him, but what he was capable of is impressive. Frankly, this is a deep insult to Evgeni. He wanted to win and was clearly disappointed he did not, but an Olympic silver medal is nothing to shake a stick at. Second, Evan is an amazing athlete and was the reigning world champion coming into Vancouver. He is very consistent and it is quite clear that he worked very hard his entire life to be in top shape for Vancouver. I really do not understand why you consider it embarrassing or a major failure for Evgeni to have lost to Evan. The fact of the matter is, Evan won on technical merit, and he and Plushenko had the exact same PCS score (what a joke!).
    Plushenko's skating was a complete shadow of what he had been in 1999-2006 even if he had won everything (which he nearly did due to the lack of any true greats amongst todays field), and Plushenko in his prime would dust guys like Lysacek by 25-30 point margins. Anymore questions?

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast