Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by igniculus View Post
    Indeed you haven't. That is why I was asking. You know. Because I'm a foreigner, and whenever I hear about the NYT, it only concernes major/important news, not some partying.
    I'm sorry. I thought you were being snide. So miscommunication, and all is well. There's alot of that going on around here. I think I'm getting paranoid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    Probably because Matt was there to skate and didn't make every effort to call attention to himself.
    Get over it. Matt is a sweet sweet boy but he's not a personality. He's shy and self effacing. Johnny was there to skate too. He just attracts attention. He's interesting and fun! There's a vid floating around of him signing autographs and posing for pix with fans in Vancouver and the paps are yelling at him like he's Shaun White. Another athlete with a fun personality! And before some person with a stick where it shouldn't be says, "but Shaun is a Gold medalist", He got press before he ever won his medals. He's not a run of the mill "I just want to do my best" bore.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Yep, I agree Hersh is fairly on target with most of his assessments in this article.

Particularly the last part:
    "Every time I hear the melancholy of Saint-Saens' piano-and-cello favorite, I will see the Johnny Weir who could create an exquisite balance between entertainment and sport, between excess and subtlety, between artistry and athleticism -- all in less than three minutes. That picture was a masterwork."
    ITA.
    And despite the ongoing "issues" between Phil and Johnny (or between Phil and some of JW's fans) etc.,
    this was one of Phil's best-written FS articles....Spot on, and worth reading. (Phil does seem to oscillate between angering FS fans and nailing it, depending on the FS fan and the article).

Oddly, JW's most inspiring/emotional performance for me was the 2010 Olympics SP...can't explain why.

Johhny Weir proves how fascinating it is that FS is still like golf, boxing, tennis, baseball, football, corporate management, and politics, etc. etc.
    ......like those other endeavors, in spite of all the complex algebraic formulas and judging panels and rules or whatever, if you are human at all, it's impossible to completely separate the performance from the performer!

Last edited by geod2; 07-21-2010 at 01:14 PM.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314