Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 122
  1. #61

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Age
    47
    Posts
    163
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    12

  2. #62
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    102
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nsima View Post
    The person who quitted a lot of number of times of the jump wins.
    day 1 noon
    Double toeloop jump combination
    Adam vs Takahiko, Adam win.(He landed about 16 jumps)
    Elene vs Kanako, Kanako win.
    Florent vs Kento, Florent win.

    day 1 night
    Double toeloop jump combination
    Joannie vs Akiko, Akiko win.
    Jeffrey vs Takahito, Jeffrey win.

    day 2 noon
    The semifinals. Double loop jump combination
    Adam vs Kanako, A tie score (8 to 8), a fresh start. Adam win.
    Florent vs Akiko, Akiko win.
    Jeffrey vs Akiko, Akiko Retirement, Jeffrey win.

    day 2 night
    The final. Double axel jump sequence
    Adam vs Jeffrey, Adam win.
    Oh, I want to see this!!!! I hope they'll broadcast this part too.

    Thank you so much for the reviews and all the info, guys!

  3. #63
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,463
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    This is an article in “Sankei Sports” in Japan.
    Translation into English.
    Mao participated to the coolish ice show.
    July 25th, 2010 JST

    Vancouver Olympics silver medalist, Mao Asada (19, Chukyo University) participated to the ice show which was held in Aichi prefecture in July 25th and she showed the exhibition program “Ballade No.1 in G minor by Chopin” etc. As for choice of a suitable person for undecided exclusive coach, it is having hard going and seems to drag on until the end of August.

    Hiroshi Nagakubo who coaches her jump from May is also the coach of Akiko Suzuki (Howa Sports Land) of her team mate and must take care of Suzuki all the time just before the season. So the person concerned feels also a crisis which Asada must decide a coach as soon as possible.
    Including to challenge the two consecutive triple jump combination, Mao is training jumps selectively now. She said, "There are a lot of points to correct. I would like to arrange those sufficiently using my head."

    The photo:
    Photography: by Mitsuo Abe
    Where is a heat wave? Mao participated to the coolish ice show, but as for the choice of an exclusive coach, it seems to have hard going.
    http://www.sanspo.com/sports/photos/...0504000-p1.htm

    The article:
    Mao participated to the coolish ice show.
    http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/10...0504000-n1.htm

  4. #64
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In an ideal world
    Posts
    2,940
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    It was a very hot weekend! (37C=98.6F )
    Here are some of my impressions adding to nsima's great report:


    Kozuka!! He finally starts using the whole body to dance. IMHO that is a major breakthrough for him.

    I am not fan of the music cut of the new SP though. BTW some of his moves in the program remind me of Jeremy Abbott.

    His new EX is awesome. When Kurt Browning choreographs for other skaters usually it just makes me miss Kurt, but with this program and Kozuka it does not. The choreography makes Kozuka look just better.


    Kanako and Florent's pair program in the finale was cool. They make a cute perfect couple on ice.


    Quote Originally Posted by nsima View Post
    Jeffrey vs Akiko, Akiko Retirement, Jeffrey win.
    Akiko did not withdraw, but Jeff had done 6 combo while Akiko's record (vs Florent) was 5, so he won.


    When Jeff lost to Adam at the final (2A sequences), because Jeff was the host of the competition, he was supposed to present the prize (a camera) to the winner. He grabbed it and ran away instead


    Then during his own program (Glenn Gould), Jeffrey singled an axel and made a face. After the performance when he was leaving the ice, near the curtains, suddenly he attempted a double axel and landed it beautifully


    Jeffrey, Adam, Takahiko, Takahito, Kento
    Adam Rippon continued spinning alone after other four skaters left it.
    They hurled waste of the ice at Adam Rippon.
    In the first three shows they threw ice chips to Adam when he does not stop spinning. Then in the last show, somehow water bottles were ready at the curtains and the four threw the water over spinning Adam Apparently it was a real surprise for him. Poor Adam

    Anyway they look having a lot of fun each other!
    Last edited by midori; 07-25-2010 at 06:31 PM.

  5. #65

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,930
    vCash
    1600
    Rep Power
    4720
    Hiroshi Nagakubo who coaches her jump from May is also the coach of Akiko Suzuki (Howa Sports Land) of her team mate and must take care of Suzuki all the time just before the season. So the person concerned feels also a crisis which Asada must decide a coach as soon as possible.
    Including to challenge the two consecutive triple jump combination, Mao is training jumps selectively now. She said, "There are a lot of points to correct. I would like to arrange those sufficiently using my head."
    I'm truly not liking the sound of this, and it makes me wonder if Mao has truly learned from her Vancover loss. People can blame Tarasova all the time, but I'm convinced that a huge part of the issue was the fact that Yu-na had good people coaching her full time and helping her improve, while Mao not so much...I don't think Yu-na was really more talented than Mao.

    The issue here is short term Yu-na is probably the only one who can challenge Mao. But there are some big talents coming up.

  6. #66
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    805
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I'm truly not liking the sound of this, and it makes me wonder if Mao has truly learned from her Vancover loss. People can blame Tarasova all the time, but I'm convinced that a huge part of the issue was the fact that Yu-na had good people coaching her full time and helping her improve, while Mao not so much...I don't think Yu-na was really more talented than Mao.

    The issue here is short term Yu-na is probably the only one who can challenge Mao. But there are some big talents coming up.
    It's not like Mao doesn't want a full-time coach asap or else there wouldn't be a feeling of crisis. She is obviously experiencing difficulties in finding the right coach.

  7. #67

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,930
    vCash
    1600
    Rep Power
    4720
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    It's not like Mao doesn't want a full-time coach asap or else there wouldn't be a feeling of crisis. She is obviously experiencing difficulties in finding the right coach.
    I have a hard time thinking its impossible to find a full time coach ASAP if you really want one. Isn't a huge part of the problem that she wants to train in her rink that frankly gives her a lot less coaching options.
    Last edited by bek; 07-25-2010 at 11:55 PM.

  8. #68

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Quadland
    Posts
    6,163
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1604
    So she wants to turn around the common thing of going where the coach is? You have to move where Mao is? Coaches would be like "hello-I am in charge you come to me!!!!"

  9. #69

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,930
    vCash
    1600
    Rep Power
    4720
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    So she wants to turn around the common thing of going where the coach is? You have to move where Mao is? Coaches would be like "hello-I am in charge you come to me!!!!"
    I don't know if what I said for sure there was talk she was somewhat interested in Orser, but I know there's been talk about it. I can understand her not wanting to be away from home, but sometimes sacrifices need to be made if you truly want to improve. And the thing is she can always go to coach try it out for awhile and move on if it doesn't work.

  10. #70
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    In weirdo land...
    Posts
    383
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Mao was never interested with working with Orser - someone started the rumor, but Mao denied it.

    Quote Originally Posted by bek
    I can understand her not wanting to be away from home, but sometimes sacrifices need to be made if you truly want to improve.
    This is not only the question of Mao not wanting to leave Japan. There also other issues, as the fact that Mao is studying at Chukyo and being sponsored by them. And I remember the school's officials being quite unhappy when both Mao and Miki left for America. And the fact that Chukyo rink has a really state-of-art rink. And the coaches might not be so eager to start to work with Mao now, when she's starting to re-work her jumping technique from the start and it might result in a shaky season or two.

    The topic of Mao's potential new coach is being discussed at Ballerina on Ice and the main problem was that there were really VERY few coaches who had some experience coaching elite skaters AND don't have an elite senior lady under their wings already. So far the final round up looks like this:

    Takeshi Honda (big question mark)
    Lee Barkell (big question mark)
    Shanetta (unlikely?)
    Mie Hamada (unlikely)
    Yutaka Higuchi (unlikely)
    Some skater turns coach (not very likely)

    Out of known Japanese coaches only Takeshi is free-ish (but maybe JSF isn't very willing to burden him with pressure of training two potential gold medalists), Higuchi and Hamada train mostly juniors.

    My personal preference is Lee Barkell, who has coached Nobunari while Nobunari stayed in Japan and Nobunari had good results back then. Lee also helped Nobunari with his jump issues (no 3A, heavy flutz, dislike of edge jumps) in a very short time. And he has experience co-operating well with other coaches (Jeff had Rafael Arutunian, Nobunari - Noriko), so I think he could co-operate well with Nagakubo. And Mao visits Canada anyway to work with Lori... But that's just my personal preference. No idea if it's possible - depends on how busy Lee is working with Canadian skaters.

    Some fans also speculated that Nagakubo might eventually turn Mao's full time coach.

    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards
    So she wants to turn around the common thing of going where the coach is? You have to move where Mao is?
    Mao never said this, she just said she wanted to find a Japanese coach if it's possible. She never said anything about a foreign coach having to move to Japan.

  11. #71

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,930
    vCash
    1600
    Rep Power
    4720

    This is not only the question of Mao not wanting to leave Japan. There also other issues, as the fact that Mao is studying at Chukyo and being sponsored by them. And I remember the school's officials being quite unhappy when both Mao and Miki left for America. And the fact that Chukyo rink has a really state-of-art rink. And the coaches might not be so eager to start to work with Mao now, when she's starting to re-work her jumping technique from the start and it might result in a shaky season or two.
    Yes but once again it may not be possible to train at Chukyo full time without a coach. I mean you can't just have a state of the art rink, you also have to have coaches that go with it. And I can't imagine why a top coach would mind helping Mao fix her technique, heck that's something I"d be looking for.

    What about Sato? It seems like he doesn't really have a top lady. Barkell or Sato would be the best choices as far as I can see. She could train with either Nobu or Kozuka. Whose training Daisuke?

    I want to clarify that I love Mao and want her to do well. My criticism isn't meant to be the criticism of a Mao hater. Just frankly a concerned fan. (and yes I'm a fan of both her and Yu-na)

  12. #72
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    In weirdo land...
    Posts
    383
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    And I can't imagine why a top coach would mind helping Mao fix her technique, heck that's something I"d be looking for.
    I think it depends on the coach. Some coaches like to work with skaters who have issues because it's more challenging, but some want results (for Tarasova, Mao's silver medal at Olympic was a loss). Rafael was also not to eager to fix Mao's flutz, he said the rules were crazy as it was too late to fix the skater's technique so late.
    I think some coaches might be afraid to take on a skater who is known to have all the potential to win everything, but faces the necessity to rework their jumping technique. It's inenvitable that the skater will struggle with their jumps for a while, but some fans/media/the skater's federation might blame the coach for the skater's poor results.

    What about Sato? It seems like he doesn't really have a top lady. Barkell or Sato would be the best choices as far as I can see. She could train with either Nobu or Kozuka. Whose training Daisuke?
    I was going to say Takeshi Honda and Utako Nagamitsu, but suddenly Daisuke's ISU bio and Wiki lists just Utako. What happened to Takeshi..?

    I forgot about Sato. He also coaches Shoko Ishikawa and some lower level skaters... He might not have enough time to take on yet another student.

    I thought Sato and Honda would be the most obvious options, but considering that Mao said earlier that ahe wanted to find a coach ASAP and none of them was chosen yet, I think there might be some factors that make this difficult or impossible.

    I agree that Barkell or Sato would be good... Let's see what JSF and Team Mao decides.

  13. #73
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    134
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I don't know if what I said for sure there was talk she was somewhat interested in Orser, but I know there's been talk about it. I can understand her not wanting to be away from home, but sometimes sacrifices need to be made if you truly want to improve. And the thing is she can always go to coach try it out for awhile and move on if it doesn't work.
    Mao addressed that rumor and was quoted as stating that it was completley false. Further elaborating that she didn't understand why such a rumor surfaced even in the first place during her visit to Korea for the Hyundai show.

    Sure she can go train abroad, but school seems to be important to Mao. If she doesn't want to make skating her only priority then that's her choice. I guess from your perspective that's not of enough of a sacrifice, but if she plans to go to the next Olympics it's important to maintain a sense of balance both mentally and physically or else there's a greater risk to suffer from burnout.

    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Yes but once again it may not be possible to train at Chukyo full time without a coach. I mean you can't just have a state of the art rink, you also have to have coaches that go with it. And I can't imagine why a top coach would mind helping Mao fix her technique, heck that's something I"d be looking for.

    What about Sato? It seems like he doesn't really have a top lady. Barkell or Sato would be the best choices as far as I can see. She could train with either Nobu or Kozuka. Whose training Daisuke?

    I want to clarify that I love Mao and want her to do well. My criticism isn't meant to be the criticism of a Mao hater. Just frankly a concerned fan. (and yes I'm a fan of both her and Yu-na)
    Wasn't Akiko's coach hired for the purpose of working with Mao on jumps?
    From my understanding, Mao went to train with Artunian because she lacked a training facility in Japan with the overcrowding and she went back to train at her university not because it was a state of the art rink, but rather she was stressed from living at Lake Arrowhead. It's not a bad idea to be coached abroad if she can't find a coach in Japan, but I think it has to be at a location that is atleast in the suburbs or some place with a Japanese community so she can have a life outside of skating to fend off being homesick. But I'm getting the feeling Mao is really taking her time picking a coach because she wants to feel comfortable enough to be able to communicate her ideas and get some feedback. This may or may not be true, but someone told me that one Mao & TAT didn't agree on the amount of training that was needed before a competition, yet Mao listened to TAT anyway because she didn't want TAT to think she was disrespecting her. In that sense, I've only really felt Mao was comfortable with Midori's coach. With the other coaches, there always seemed to be a barrier of some sort & that may be in fact be due to language barriers. But I really believe for a coaching situation to work, you have to get past being cordial acquaintants & be able to fight and disagree about things.

  14. #74
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    102
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia View Post
    I saw the show tonight!
    Jeffrey Buttle's skating skill was superb, as was Mao's. The sound of their edges was just sublime to listen to.
    I'll bet. I can feel it even from these tiny photos.
    http://loda.jp/siofigure2/?id=7698.jpg
    Mao and Jeff at the opening number

    Quote Originally Posted by midori View Post
    In the first three shows they threw ice chips to Adam when he does not stop spinning. Then in the last show, somehow water bottles were ready at the curtains and the four threw the water over spinning Adam Apparently it was a real surprise for him. Poor Adam
    Last edited by Lombardia412; 07-26-2010 at 03:07 AM.

  15. #75
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    805
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    There's speculation that Sato was JSF's first choice but for some reason, he refused. I think another reason why Mao wants a Japanese coach is that she probably wants someone whom she could better communicate. Her partnership with Rafael seemed to work well on the surface but they didn't end on a good note and I think that could be attributed to miscommunication. Besides, all the top foreign coaches I can think of have their hands full at the moment. Another possibility is that she go back to her first coach, Machiko Yamada. They still have a close relationship and Yamada seems to understand Mao the best. I don't think Yamada is the best coach for jumping techniques but since Nakagubo is in charge of that, it's not a big deal. However, in terms of mental support and daily guidance, I think Yamada is an ideal choice. The only problem is that Yamada has Kanako and other junior skaters, but it's still possible to work something out. I am worried as anyone about her coaching situation. Hopefully, things get settled before the season starts.

  16. #76

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,930
    vCash
    1600
    Rep Power
    4720
    Sure she can go train abroad, but school seems to be important to Mao. If she doesn't want to make skating her only priority then that's her choice. I guess from your perspective that's not of enough of a sacrifice, but if she plans to go to the next Olympics it's important to maintain a sense of balance both mentally and physically or else there's a greater risk to suffer from burnout.
    Its not about skaters having to have "enough of a sacrifice". I don't think your seeing my point. I'm not against Mao taking classes or living in Japan etc. If she could find a coach in Japan that would be obviously the ideal situation. But what I don't think is working is the current training situation. I think Mao needs a fulltime coach, and Mao hasn't had a fulltime coach in a while. Its not just about the jumps, but other things. I remember the Eurosport commentators at the Olympics saying Mao's speed isn't what it once was. Mao running her own training situation, hasn't I feel improved her skating.

    And this is the thing Mao short term can get away with these things maybe, especially if Yu-na doesn't come back. But there are some extremely talented skaters coming up, skaters like Mishin's young Elizaveta who is doing the 3axel in practice, 3/3s and has all the other triples and yes skates with a lot of speed and power already. If Elizaveta makes it past puberty and keeps those skills she will be scary, very scary in Sochi. There are others coming up too.

    The thing is my suscipian as well is that its probably very difficult to succeed at both high level skating and high level education at the same time. Sure it totally happens, I'm not saying it doesnt. Look at Arakawa whose skating improved tremendously after she graduated. Look at Yu-na's issues at Korea University. Sure some skaters have done both but its just darn hard. While its totally possible that Mao can take classes and skate, I think that's a very difficult thing. And I'd point out that maybe the smarter path is to do what Michelle Kwan did. Michelle focused primarily on skating until she was done with skating. And then she went to school, where she could really focus on doing well at school. And Michelle did great ended up in a top graduate program, holding off didn't mean Kwan didn't take her education seriously (she clearly did!) There is of course no reason why Mao couldn't take some correspondence classes etc. Please don't get me wrong, I am not saying that Mao should automatically go abroad etc. But what I am saying is I don't think she can afford to have the training situation she's had for the last two years, and expect that she'll be able to hold of all her challengers in Sochi.
    Last edited by bek; 07-26-2010 at 03:16 AM.

  17. #77

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    427
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    There's speculation that Sato was JSF's first choice but for some reason, he refused.
    I thought Sato was the best choice, too. He has Kozuka, and he is a training mate of Mao on the same rink and they are very close friends.

    Wasn't it some of Sato's health problem that made him refuse it? I heard him saying on TV a few months ago " If only I were healthier, I could do more jobs." Of course, he didn't mention anything about Mao though.

  18. #78

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    427
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia View Post
    Jeffrey Buttle's skating skill was superb, as was Mao's. The sound of their edges was just sublime to listen to.

    Awww. You make me wish I had been there! It must have been a blessed time to listen to the sound of their edges!

  19. #79
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,463
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

  20. #80
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    134
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Its not about skaters having to have "enough of a sacrifice". I don't think your seeing my point. I'm not against Mao taking classes or living in Japan etc. If she could find a coach in Japan that would be obviously the ideal situation. But what I don't think is working is the current training situation. I think Mao needs a fulltime coach, and Mao hasn't had a fulltime coach in a while. Its not just about the jumps, but other things. I remember the Eurosport commentators at the Olympics saying Mao's speed isn't what it once was. Mao running her own training situation, hasn't I feel improved her skating.

    And this is the thing Mao short term can get away with these things maybe, especially if Yu-na doesn't come back. But there are some extremely talented skaters coming up, skaters like Mishin's young Elizaveta who is doing the 3axel in practice, 3/3s and has all the other triples and yes skates with a lot of speed and power already. If Elizaveta makes it past puberty and keeps those skills she will be scary, very scary in Sochi. There are others coming up too.

    The thing is my suscipian as well is that its probably very difficult to succeed at both high level skating and high level education at the same time. Sure it totally happens, I'm not saying it doesnt. Look at Arakawa whose skating improved tremendously after she graduated. Look at Yu-na's issues at Korea University. Sure some skaters have done both but its just darn hard. While its totally possible that Mao can take classes and skate, I think that's a very difficult thing. And I'd point out that maybe the smarter path is to do what Michelle Kwan did. Michelle focused primarily on skating until she was done with skating. And then she went to school, where she could really focus on doing well at school. And Michelle did great ended up in a top graduate program, holding off didn't mean Kwan didn't take her education seriously (she clearly did!) There is of course no reason why Mao couldn't take some correspondence classes etc. Please don't get me wrong, I am not saying that Mao should automatically go abroad etc. But what I am saying is I don't think she can afford to have the training situation she's had for the last two years, and expect that she'll be able to hold of all her challengers in Sochi.
    I actually meant that Mao probably wants to attend university for socializing purposes, not necessarily for academic ones. Which I think may be beneficial for her in terms of having longevity in competitive skating if it can give her some peace of mind. I've seen the headlines of Kim's situation at her university & it's none of people's business of how she does in a class. It sucks the college would even resort to crap like that after (I'm assuming) they probably took advantage of advertising the hell out that she was attending there. I'm just saying for Mao to look for a coach there has to be some type of support system outside of skating so she's not preoccupied with just competing in order to stay motivated.

    Quote Originally Posted by Akira Andrea View Post
    Thanks. Those pictures look very nice. I really want to watch the show already...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •