Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    David Coverdale for amazing love songs

vCash
    Simon Schama? Pfft! David Starkey FTW! Great historians...

I don't know I admire, to be honest.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    William Shakespeare
    William Blake
    Albert Camus
    Aung San Suu Kyi
    Bertrand Russell
    Bruce Kent
    All the Greenham Common women
    Caroline Lucas
    Martin W
    Geoffrey Chaucer
    Neil Young
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Franz Schubert
    David Attenborough
    Richard Fortey
    Galileo Galilei
    Nicolaus Copernicus
    Midori Ito
    Ralph Nader
    Martin Luther King
    Steve Biko
    Andre Brink
    BlueRidge
    My mum
    Last edited by orientalplane; 07-08-2010 at 11:40 AM.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    Miki Ando, Joannie Rochette, Hikaru Utada, Martin Luther King, Jr., José Saramago, my family.

Banned Member
    vCash
    This may sound corny but here goes:

My mother---who has survived cancer (36 yrs) blindness (11yrs) and an abusive husband to make her life on her own and raise me during the 60's when it was taboo for a women to be single with a child. She has been divorced for 49 yrs.

My husband---who has become one of the strongest most patient men I have ever met and is willing to fight for what he wants. He has saved our company 3x since 1995.

There are many people I have great respect for who believe in them selves and persevere no matter what is put in front of them. Its mostly everyday people as they are the ones than can teach you the best!
    Without fear you cannot find courage

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    The first person who came to mind was Roger Ebert. Reading this article from Esquire brought tears to my eyes. He's been through so much, yet continues to live life to the fullest and refuses to feel sorry for himself
    Thanks for posting the article link. Very moving. I love movies, and I feel that I learned in the classroom of Siskel & Ebert. I learned so much, besides being entertained from their reviews and banter. I still to this day miss their show. Ebert & Roeper were great, but always second place. I always thought highly of both of them, but after this article, wow.

Jackie Joyner Kersee is someone that I have admired. During the 88 Olys, I was watching with my Mom, who was dying of cancer, and Jackie talked about her Mom that has passed, and it was so real and true.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Artist: George Ballanchine
    Spirtiual/Philosophical/Political: Karol Wotyla/Pope John Paul II
    Military/Motivational: George S. Patton.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Mojito, love it.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Nurses, and not just because my mom's one.

vCash
    Jane Goodall, Carl Sagan, My Mom, My Mom's Mom(Grandma), Michelle Kwan, Albert Einstein, Beethoven, Rachmaninov, anyone who does volunteer work. I'm sure there are others I'll remember later...but these are the ones that make the strongest impression on me and are easily remembered.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    I do, but Joni had such an influence on me growing up (I have been smitten with her since I was 13. All my friends were into Kiss, I was into Joni Mitchell... ). Lyrically nobody has come close in her nearly 4 decades of recording. Melodically she is a genius but her lyrics are sublime. As Elvis Costello once said, she can paint a vivid picture in 5 or 6 words.

Also, Joni is not a folk singer. She was when she did her first couple of albums but she developed. Laura to me was more just folk.
    I love Joni Mitchell! I must admit, I especially love her older music. The Circle Game and big Yellow Taxi are two of my all time favorite songs.

People I admire, pretty much any and all Renaissance artists. A friend of mine, who has lived and suffered with Lupus for many years now. She lives her life with dignity and compassion for others. I admire her courage.

vCash
    Frederick Grant Banting
    Charles Best
    Dr. Bertram Collip
    John J. R. MacLeod

There's sort of a trend there.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I admired Sinead O'Connor when she ripped up a picture of the Pope on stage at a concert - and found it interesting that the others on stage with her (supposedly also rebels against the status quo and including Bob Dylan) shied away from her, as if ashamed.

I have thought it would have been more effective is she had ripped up a picture of the cross, rather than the picture of a certain Pope - but her message was clear and I applaud her for doing it. It may have ruined her career for a bit - which makes me admire her even more.
    I also admire Sinead for all of the reasons stated above. Even if you don't agree w/her views, you can still admire her for having the guts to do it. Especially considering how it affected her career for awhile. I have great admiration for people who stand up for their beliefs on issues, even if how they do it isn't viewed favourably.

Others I admire...

HM Queen Rania of Jordan, HM Queen Elizabeth II of England and Canada, Princess Diana, Mother Teresa, Joannie Rochette and my cousin Nelson and Aunt Evelyn who have taught me so much about WWII by telling me their expereinces while in the Service.

Especially though...My Dad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I admired Sinead O'Connor when she ripped up a picture of the Pope on stage at a concert - and found it interesting that the others on stage with her (supposedly also rebels against the status quo and including Bob Dylan) shied away from her, as if ashamed.

I have thought it would have been more effective is she had ripped up a picture of the cross, rather than the picture of a certain Pope - but her message was clear and I applaud her for doing it. It may have ruined her career for a bit - which makes me admire her even more.
    What was her reason for doing that?

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    What was her reason for doing that?
    from this 2002 Salon.com article:

She tore up that picture of the pope to protest pedophilia in the Catholic Church and the complicity of the church hierarchy.

Not that O'Connor didn't try to make that clear. By singing the Bob Marley song "War" -- and changing the line "fight racial injustice" to "fight sexual abuse" -- she thought she would be bringng the issue of child sexual abuse to the national consciousness.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    Have to agree with the others above, RE Sinead O'Connor. I'd forgotten about that but mad to her

vCash
    T E A C H E R S ! ! !

They have to put up with know-it-all students, absentee parents, enabling parents, school boards, little pay, unions that don't really support them, etc, etc, etc.

vCash
    I had forgotten about that incident.

Japanfan, I don't think ripping up a picture of the cross would ha e been better. In ripping up a picture of the Pope, she was making a statement about the Catholic Church. If she had ripped up a picture of the cross, she would have been attacking Christianity. While I respect and agree with her feelings/outrage about child molestation, within the church, I don't know that I agree with her method of making the statement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    The first person who came to mind was Roger Ebert. Reading this article from Esquire brought tears to my eyes. He's been through so much, yet continues to live life to the fullest and refuses to feel sorry for himself.
    I admire Ebert tremendously as well. And enjoy his reviews immensely.

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    My sister Gloria.

She is not only my sister, but my best friend as well. I know that no matter what I can count on her having my back.
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast