Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    One of my litterature teacher !
    She knows everything, and obviously loves to teach. Fabulous !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    The first person who came to mind was Roger Ebert. Reading this article from Esquire brought tears to my eyes. He's been through so much, yet continues to live life to the fullest and refuses to feel sorry for himself.

On a working level, I really admire director Christopher Nolan's leadership skills. In 10 years he went from shooting a $6,000 film over a year of Saturdays with friends, to the $185-million studio behemoth that was The Dark Knight. The trajectory is stunning, and he doesn't seem to have lost his cool at any point along the way. I've heard from people who've worked with him, that he never raises his voice, but he puts high expectations on the crew and they all trust him because he's always at ease. I just can't help but admire that.
    Loved reading the Roger Ebert article, thanks

And I love Christopher Nolan's directing as well. Good choice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loopey View Post
    T E A C H E R S ! ! !

They have to put up with know-it-all students, absentee parents, enabling parents, school boards, little pay, unions that don't really support them, etc, etc, etc.
    Oh definitely agree, some even have to accept phone calls from the students if they have a question sometimes they are even allowed to call til 8pm. I don't think they should have to be on call all the time it's enough having to deal with the ones who are disrespectful.

vCash
    -joannie rochette -the epitome of grace under pressure - I still tear up whenever I see how she is just blossoming into such an incredible women
    -tessa and scott - so much talent and so many accomplishements and they still remain sweet and modest - and they are the most totally adorable things ever
    -my 17 year old daughter - sassy, smart, spunky, and fought her own way out of the totally scary addiction of cutting - now focussing on her own talents of singing and photography

out in a boat (out and about) in Nova Scotia b'ye!
    vCash
    Hugh Laurie.. actor, musician, writer... he is one of those people who is good at a lot of stuff
    The mind of the performer is a very strange thing.
    ~James Galway

vCash
    Abraham Lincoln
    Harry Truman
    Winston Churchill
    Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain
    Richard Winters (Band of Brothers)
    Willie Mays
    Bruce Springsteen
    Elizabeth I

And of course...BrokenAnkle

vCash
    Since were putting skaters in here I'll put elaine zayak for skating with part of her foot missing from a lawn mower accident. That's pretty impressive.

vCash
    Okay I put my skater in here too. Rena, for skating with John. I mean really, my hat's off to her.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

In Search of a Lost Chord
    The big space where the rest of your childhood forgets as a dream and the harshness of life dims the peaches and cream.
    vCash
    Herbert F. Hahn - My senior year HS English teacher.
    Happiness is being married to your best friend!

vCash
    C.S Lewis
    Dr. Suess
    F Scott Fitzgerald
    William Shakespeare
    Harper Lee
    Libba Bray
    Margaret Mitchell
    Beethoven
    Mozart
    Elvis Presley
    Loreena McKennitt
    Jamie Cullum
    Billy Joel
    The Andrews Sisters
    Josh Groban

Also, my older brother. He was born 3 months early with a lot of health problems, and had at least 4 heart surgeries by that same age, and has had 7 heart surgeries total in 22 years, 3 of them open heart I believe. The last one was right before my 14th birthday, and I just remember him standing up and squaring his shoulders as though he were a soldier off to war before going to be prepared for the surgery. That image has stuck with me.

Maven of Mumbletypeg
    vCash
    Dr. Jonas Salk
    Robert F. Kennedy

vCash
    Don't know why I didn't think of this before: America's Most Wanted host John Walsh. After the unimaginable trauma of having his son Adam missing for two weeks, only to find he was murdered, face considerable ineptitude on behalf of authorities in tracking down his killer, to finally get the Missing Children's Act passed, resulting in 60 missing children being returned to their families, and through AMW, getting over 500 fugitives brought to justice, he is one prime candidate. And that he did this without turning it into a lawless call for vigilatiism is a testimony of his character as well.

in my underground bunker plotting your downfall
    vCash
    The person I admire most is my mother. She was the oldest of nine children and grew up during the depression. She is extremely intelligent. She skipped two grades in school and graduated with honors not long after her 16th birthday. Her family was poor and couldn’t afford for her to go to college. She moved to Kansas City and got a job and sent much of her salary home to help out her family.

From an early age, my mother believed in equal rights for all. Her best friend in Kansas City was a coworker who happened to be African American. They ate lunch together nearly every day but, because her friend was not allowed to eat in the same places as my mother, they brought their lunches and ate in a park. During WWII, she worked in an Army ammunition plant. She rented a room in a house owned by a couple with a severely disabled child. My mother frequently offered to care for the child at night so the parents could go out for dinner and a movie.

She and my dad married at the end of the war and raised six kids. From as far back as I can remember, my mother has always volunteered for church functions, school functions, social functions, VFW functions; wherever help was needed, she was there. She worked full-time and had a part-time job, as well. She taught her children that discrimination of any type is wrong and that to stand by and do nothing when witnessing discrimination was wrong, too. By her example, we learned to work hard, strive for knowledge, be decent and kind, be involved, and give back to our community through volunteering.

At age 88 she is still active in her organizations. When I go home for visits, I am always impressed by how many people know her and speak highly of her. She is well respected and known for her wit, intelligence, kindness, and charm.
    When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed."
    Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jot the Dot Dot View Post
    Don't know why I didn't think of this before: America's Most Wanted host John Walsh. After the unimaginable trauma of having his son Adam missing for two weeks, only to find he was murdered, face considerable ineptitude on behalf of authorities in tracking down his killer, to finally get the Missing Children's Act passed, resulting in 60 missing children being returned to their families, and through AMW, getting over 500 fugitives brought to justice, he is one prime candidate. And that he did this without turning it into a lawless call for vigilatiism is a testimony of his character as well.
    Definitely a good choice. I so admire people who face incredible tragedy in life and turn that tragedy into something that makes the world a better place.

I have also long since admired people who face death with grace and courage. They have such a way of reminding all of us what is most important in our short time on this Earth. I would include Michael J. Fox, Christopher and Dana Reeve in this group. Thank you for sharing the article from Roger Ebert.

"I believe that if, at the end of it all, according to our abilities, we have done something to make others a little happier, and something to make ourselves a little happier, that is about the best we can do. To make others less happy is a crime. To make ourselves unhappy is where all crime starts. We must try to contribute joy to the world. That is true no matter what our problems, our health, our circumstances. We must try. I didn't always know this, and am happy I lived long enough to find it out."

vCash
    That's a beautiful post moto.

vCash
    Thought I'd add. I admire people who don't take the easy way out, who stand up for what they believe even when faced with a mass of people who disagree. I'd admire people who think for themselves and can be confident with something they might think of on their own, while also being humble enough to consider others thoughts into the equation as well.

More general than my other specific post, but really, I find myself getting so irritated with the masses of people regurgitating what is told to them, instead of using critical thinking.

I admire Critical Thinkers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    Oh definitely agree, some even have to accept phone calls from the students if they have a question sometimes they are even allowed to call til 8pm. I don't think they should have to be on call all the time it's enough having to deal with the ones who are disrespectful.
    8 p.m.??? Where is this shangri-la of teaching where the phone does not ring after 8 p.m.? The last principal I worked for demanded that we take calls at all hours. I had calls after 11 p.m. and before 7 a.m. in the morning on weekends and breaks. I had a parent leave me a message after midnight and call the principal at 7 a.m. wanting to know exactly what I was doing that I didn't call him back---uh, I don't know SLEEPING.

And I won't even tell the entire story of the parent who was a local police officer and STALKED me trying to get me and the other teachers in the department to pass his kid on his culminating assessment project for the department without the kid doing the work. The administrators decided to refer to that as a "misunderstanding" so they wouldn't have to do anything about it.

Teachers don't leave the profession because they are lazy or don't care about kids.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    There are too many people to name throughout my life that have brought me inspiration and here is a list of just a few.

My mother
    My dad
    My friend, Betty Lewis
    Terry Bradshaw
    John F. Kennedy
    Michelle W. Kwan
    Vida Blue
    B.B. King
    Denzel Washington
    Arron Neville
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123