Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    Alexei Yagudin 2002 all the way. Perfection in every detail. He was one of the very best things that have ever happened to figure skating.

Everything else is just far behind. 2010 is light years behind. System or no system, the pathetic level of the past Olympics is still a fact.
    Proof that we need a vomit emoticon.

vCash
    Yagudin 2002 Gold - Almost perfect (3 flip not far from a hand down)
    Kulik 1998 Gold - Perfect
    Lysacek 2010 Gold - Perfect
    Goebel 2002 Bronze - 3 quads, only one mistake, deserved to be higher than Plushenko IMO
    (Boitano 1988 Gold)
    (Orser 1988 Silver)
    Plushenko 2006 Gold - One big mistake
    Takahashi 2010 Bronze - Ahead of Plushenko, only one mistake, but the overall artistry is sooo much higher
    Plushenko 2010 Silver
    Plushenko 2002 Silver
    Stojko 1998 Silver
    Urmanov 1994 Gold - I would give deductions for the outfit
    Stojko 1994 Silver
    Lambiel 2006 Silver
    Buttle 2006 Bronze
    Candeloro 1998 Bronze
    Wylie 1992 Silver - Deserved the gold IMO
    (Petrenko 1988 Bronze)
    Candeloro 1994 Bronze
    Petrenko 1992 Gold
    Barna 1992 Bronze

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Diyoris View Post
    Lysacek 2010 Gold - Perfect

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    1998 Kulik. Gorgeous skating, and his edges were like buddah.

2002 Yagudin. Program was okay; he deserved better. Lovely skating and loose and fluid upper body, and great response to the pressure.

2006 Plushenko. The program was horrific, the spins impossible, but there was something so determined about it, like he was going out to slaughter anyone who got between him and the final pose. I had to admire that. It was like at the Cardiff Singer of the World Competition, when Dmitri Hvorostovsky grabbed the trophy from the presenter and held it overhead. (Only later did anyone find out that he had to borrow money for a rented tux from his KGB handler, and if he hadn't won, he didn't know how he'd pay it back.)

2010 Lysacek. Such energy and so solid from beginning to end, an all-around skater.

1992 Wylie. Such a surprise.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    This isn't based on personal preference. I'm trying to be objective, although I could let bias slip in somewhere..

1) Plushenko 2002 - Didn't want to do this, since he's one of my least favourite men, but the technical content was crazily difficult and he actually skated with passion and expression, unlike in his 06 and 10 performances.

2) Yagudin 2002 - it was near-perfect, but Plushenko's LP was slightly better, both technically and artistically, I would say. I'm glad Plushenko fell in the SP so Yagudin would still win the OGM though.

3) Plushenko 2006 - The technical content was very high, although a bit front-loaded. However, the program was skated with almost a complete lack of passion. He looked like he was just getting the job done. There was also a doubled jump, and did I miss something or was there no triple axel in combination with another triple?

4) Goebel 2002 - Artistically kind of boring, but I had to put him somewhere near the top of the list with that technical content he included. He wasn't awful enough artistically to shoot him down to the bottom of the list.

5) Kulik 1998 - Good technical content and pretty good artistry, although he skated young, like the commentator mentioned. His technical content was nowhere near what Plushenko, Yagudin or Goebel were doing, though, and his artistry wasn't leaps and bounds beyond Goebel's.

6) Lysacek 2010 - His program was skated with more passion than any of the others I've ranked so far, but I had to put him here because he did only triple jumps. If I was going by personal preference, this would probably top my list.

7) Plushenko 2010 - I didn't want to put this one this high, but I had to because it has to be admitted that he included a lot of difficult jumps, more difficult than most of the other men on this list, although it was a front-loaded program like his 06 one. I have to say his choreography was totally cheesy though!

8) Stojko 98 - I really wish I could have put this one higher. It was skated with a lot of heart, especially for someone who was in such great pain. However, with no quad and the lack of speed he had in comparison to Evan Lysacek, I had to rank it here.

9) Takahashi 2010 - I'm ranking this performance quite high up on the list, even though he fell on the quad. His artistry and skating skills were just so amazing and mind-blowing that it deserves to be here. Unlike the falls in some other skaters' performances, which I'll mention lower on the list, his fall didn't take away from his performance at all and he just kept cranking off the triple jumps accompanied by amazing choreography. I think he was lucky that the fall was at the beginning or it might have detracted more from the performance level.

10) Candeloro 1998 - I dislike this skater, and I disliked this program the first time I saw it. However, I can appreciate the theme and interpretation a lot more than I did years ago. It was excellently interpreted, plus it was technically strong, although it didn't include a quad and some of the landings on the triples were wonky.

11) Boitano 1988 - This was an amazing performance, but since it was done in 1988 it just lacked some of the technical content the guys were including in later years. Hence, its lower ranking.

12) Stojko 1994 - It was hard to decide which was better, Boitano 1988 or Stojko 1994. However, I decided to place this program below Boitano's because the singled 3A was like a sore thumb in the middle of goodness. Stojko's artistry also was not at the level that it grew to in 1998, and I found this program skated in a relatively passionless manner.

13) Wylie 1992 - I'd never seen this one before and was really impressed. He looked so young and cute, lol. What struck me first was his speed. The jumps were great too, for the most part, and this LP was better than the one of the OGM winner that year, Victor Petrenko, IMO.

14) Orser 1988 - This one's a little lower because of the lower technical content: there was only one triple axel, and it was only in combination with a double, not another triple. Most of the guys on this list were attempting two 3As a program with one in combination with another triple. I know Wylie didn't, but I think he was faster and cleaner in general than Orser. That almost-fall Orser had on one of his triples was pretty ugly, and unfortunately was right in the middle of the performance.

15) Urmanov 1994 - This program was a little cheesy but I think he accomplished what he was trying to do artistically. I'm just not sure what he was trying to do was that cool, lol. I put this one below Orser because of his bobble on a non-jump element, which caused him to almost run into the boards. For me, something like this severely takes away from the performance, especially when it's an OGM-winning performance.

16) Candeloro 1994 - This one was okay, but some jump landings were wonky. Artistically, it was pretty good but definitely nowhere near as good as his 1998 performance.

17) Petrenko 1988 - The technical content was not that high, a lot of doubles, but it was clean and he did do a 3A and a 3-3. His arms were a little awkward at that time, but he seemed to get rid of that problem by 1992, and he was very graceful even in 1988.

18) Lambiel 06 - I had a hard time ranking this one because I wasn't sure exactly what jumps he was doing. The commentator was speaking in another language. I think there was a quad, but he turned out of it in an odd manner. He also fell once, and almost fell another time on jumps. I know the jumps weren't easy ones, but that many mistakes in a program, especially an OM-winning one, means it has to be ranked low on the list. His artistry was superb, though; it's too bad he couldn't completely keep on top of the jumps.

19) Petrenko 1992 - I had never seen this complete routine before and my first thought afterward was THIS won an OGM?!!! That is the worst OGM-winning LP from 1988 through to 2010, and it might even be worse than those before 1988, but I haven't seen them so I can't say. So many mistakes - stumble on the 3F, 2L instead of 3L, almost falling on the 3A, and then a singled axel.. gahhh!! Like Lambiel, it's too bad he didn't do the jumps properly, because he IS a very good, graceful skater.

20) Buttle 2006 - I like Jeff, but there were way too many mistakes to put him any higher than this on the list. He was lucky to get the bronze medal with this performance.

21) Barna 1992 - I put him last, and lower than Buttle because, first of all, he is incredibly boring while Jeff's program was interesting. Secondly, Barna did do a quad, but no 3As, while Jeff managed to do two 3As, even though he put his hand down after the 2T in the 3A-2T combination. Barna also fell, as Jeff did once (I think it was only once), but Jeff fell on a quad while Barna's fall was on the easier 3F. Like Buttle, Barna was lucky to win a bronze with this particular performance.

Overall, it seems like 2002 was the best year for men's skating at the Olympics, with 2006 as a close second. Unfortunately, men's skating maybe suffered a bit in 2010. It looks like the worst year for Olympic men's skating was 1992.

vCash
    Oops, I posted this in the wrong place.. I meant to post this in the mens 1988 to present one..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post

vCash
    Double

It was perfect...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Double

It was perfect...

Don't worry. EL creates irrational reactions among a few posters

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Double

It was perfect...
    You mean flawless - perfect is not quite the same. I mean, unless your idea of perfection is only based on whoever had a little almost-error and who didn't. For me a perfect performance surely is error-free, but also incredible in the area of emotion, interpretation, power, energy. Also needs charisma and oh, a couple of difficult jumps wouldn't hurt either (yes, I mean the quads ). I mean, you should definitely reconsider your definition of perfection.

Now go and call it an irrational reaction

vCash
    Perfect doesnt neccessarily mean the best ever or even spectacularly outstanding. I would call Evan's performances at the Olympics perfect except that his 2nd triple axel in the LP wasnt and was lucky to be ratified IMHO.

vCash
    1 Plushenko 2002 (really think he deserved to win the LP that night)
    2 Yagudin 2002
    3 Kulik 1998
    4 Stojko 1994
    5 Urmanov 1994
    6 Lysacek 2010
    7 Plushenko 2006
    8 Plushenko 2010
    9 Takahashi 2010
    10 Goebel 2002
    11 Stojko 1998
    12 Candeloro 1994
    13 Candeloro 1998
    14 Buttle 2006
    15 Lambiel 2006

*haven't rewatched 92 in a long time so won't try to rank them. Feel like they'd be the bottom 3 though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123