Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    There is software out there that takes care of such problems in networked computers.
    In this case, it doesn't sound like even blocking software was needed - the computers didn't need to be connected to the internet from the sounds of it.

gold dust woman
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    It probably is more common than you think, AW. If I was the trainer, and this was happening, I'd just think that the person is an adult and their choice to pay attention or not. I wouldn't call them out on it. It's not junior high.
    You'd be surprised...a lot of adult students revert to their high school/junior high selves when they are in a classroom environment.

Though in my experience, it's the younger ones who tend to revert more quickly (fresher on the mind, perhaps?)

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    In this case, it doesn't sound like even blocking software was needed - the computers didn't need to be connected to the internet from the sounds of it.
    That's also true, unless they were doing some kind of networked application.

I can't focus on one task unless it's physical. I have to switch between things (multiple windows, a book, writing things down with a pen, etc) or I just get bored. Lectures were a horrible way to learn (fortunately very few of my professors really expected us to learn much in a lecture--tests were their way of catching who wasn't doing the assigned reading out of class, by and large.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Veronika View Post
    You'd be surprised...a lot of adult students revert to their high school/junior high selves when they are in a classroom environment.
    I've been known to revert to elementary high behaviour in train the trainer sessions, where I'm having to listen to my trainees give a portion of the training. The most boring trainee/trainer was a retired teacher - some of us started throwing a squishy ball around after making sure "teacher" wasn't looking! Of course, this was some time ago and I haven't done it lately, now when I'm bored in a training session I just doodle. If I start reading I'll still be sitting there with my nose in the book an hour after the training is finished.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    The entire point of having computers set up in a circle like that is to discourage people from surfing the internet when the trainer is talking. As a trainer, I would absolutely consider it rude, common or not, (not to mention the tapping of the keys can be a real distraction to others, whether users realize it or not), but it would be both unprofessional and counterproductive to treat a customer like a first grader and call them out on it.
    Thanks for this point. I agree it is up to the trainer to comment and say something for the reason you said. However we can still have an opinion on whether we consider the behaviour of the person doing it is rude or not. It is a difference between what someone thinks and how someone reacts in response to someone's behaviour.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    I agree. Unless someone is poking you in the ribs saying "look at this" or they're singing along to a music video I really don't see why you care.
    I only care when they mess with my training time by getting lost during the practical activites and holding up the rest of the class with their stupid questions. They were too busy texting/surfing and not paying attention while that portion of the class was being explained and now they don't understand what they are suppose to do. This is especially true with computer training.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12