Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Talking Useful technical videos

Hi All,

I just got hold of a copy of the ISU tech videos that Aussie Willy recommended a while back and absolutely loved them. Very well produced video clips explaining and demonstrating jumps and spins, by real skaters or 3D figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    If you can get hold of the ISU series of technical videos or DVDs on the individual jumps, they are great at explaining how the individual jumps work. They show good and bad examples of each and also what each jump is meant to look like as a single, double or triple. And also show skaters of different ages doing them.
    The videos supplement lessons very well. I only wish there is more emphasis on single jumps (lol) and possibly including technical drills (intermediate steps) working toward each element, beyond strengthening exercises.

What are your experiences with instructional videos as a skater?

vCash
    Glad you found them and found them useful. As a judge I found them very good. Helped pick out the things to look for with problems and what makes a good and bad jump.

But they are ISU stuff so they are not going to concentrate on singles.

As for other clips, there are some by skaters like Nancy Kerrigan on Youtube which explain jump technique quite well. She does a good job of explaining and presenting them.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Oh, good idea for a thread!

As I have no rink at the moment I wonder if there are any good videos for off-ice training? I would especially love some that would explain jump technique which can be done on the floor.

Where did you get the ISU videos, jjane? And do you think that they would help a beginner like me who can only do a waltz jump yet?

vCash
    Michael Weiss teaching the 6 jumps:
    http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Ice...umps-140619100

If you look under "related videos" you will also see a separate video for each jump.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    Oh, good idea for a thread!

As I have no rink at the moment I wonder if there are any good videos for off-ice training?
    Visit www.sk8strong.com for off-ice strength and conditioning DVDs that are endorsed by the PSA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    Where did you get the ISU videos, jjane? And do you think that they would help a beginner like me who can only do a waltz jump yet?
    Seemingly skatetape.com was the only place to carry them. I was entertained by the system requirements (Windows 95/98/2000/NT & XP, Pentium 700 Processor or higher, 64 MB RAM (128 MB or higher recommended), 16 Bit Colors, 800 x 600 monitor resolution, Video Card, CDROM, Speakers) but the overall production was great and worth every single penny I spent.

No off-ice jumps are mentioned. I do not think it's good for self-teaching, nor is it tailored for lower-level freestyle. That's exactly why I am still hoping to get other resources which break the elements down in more detail.

Thank you Doubletoe and Aussie Willy for the recommendations. I've seen the Michael Weiss videos before, but Nancy Kerrigan is new to me. I think they are better than most of the Expert Village videos on jumps, but things are still happening too fast IMO for beginners.

I am not hoping to replace actual lessons / coaching using videos, but I do like to see some slow-motion analysis of each stage and error corrections, just to provide other perspectives. ISU videos had some of it which I really enjoyed despite skating at a very low level

On the other hand, Georgie on youtube has a few really interesting instructional videos from basic skills up to double salchow.
    Last edited by jjane45; 06-18-2010 at 04:01 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rsk8d View Post
    Visit www.sk8strong.com for off-ice strength and conditioning DVDs that are endorsed by the PSA.
    Has anyone ever bought these DVDs who is not affiliated with the person who made these DVDs?
    I found a link to them before but everytime I read a comment about it (here or elsewhere) it always triggers my suspicion that this comes from someone who wants to sell them. (Like here where I was immediately send a code for a discount).

I would like to read a fair assessment of these but as I haven't found it anywhere on the net I thought I asked here where all the wise people of the Earth reside.

vCash
    I have the adult training DVD. This is not a follow-along workout. Think of it more as a library of exercises. They're very good, and Lauren's demonstrations and explanations are very clear. She presents a warmup, 3 different circuits, and a plyometric exercise. Equipment used includes a large fitness ball, therabands or resistance cords, hand weights, sliding discs, and a step, although there are many exercises that do not require equipment. The entire DVD runs around 20 minutes to watch. To use it, I need to write the exercises down on paper - what I will do, and how many sets. Then I can put music on, or TV or something, and do my workout. When I bought the DVD, I expected it to be a traditional follow-along workout video. That probably would have been a little easier to use, but I admit this allows for more customization. Since I don't necessarily need to see the demonstrations, I might have bought the book instead had I known - for me, the written format might have worked a little more easily as a reference. Lauren herself was very nice to work with, and is always willing to answer questions. I don't regret purchasing the DVD, even if it is a little different than I expected.

vCash
    thanks, Clarice!

Are there any off-ice jumps explained? I would love to do some off-ice jump training as I have no ice at the moment but just no idea how to do it.

vCash
    No, this is strictly a strength/conditioning type DVD. It's the kind of stuff you would do with a personal trainer, not a skating coach.

vCash
    thanks!!

vCash
    There are also free adult moves-in-the-field videos online at USFSA.org (in the Adults section)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarice View Post
    I have the adult training DVD. This is not a follow-along workout. Think of it more as a library of exercises. They're very good, and Lauren's demonstrations and explanations are very clear. She presents a warmup, 3 different circuits, and a plyometric exercise. Equipment used includes a large fitness ball, therabands or resistance cords, hand weights, sliding discs, and a step, although there are many exercises that do not require equipment. The entire DVD runs around 20 minutes to watch. To use it, I need to write the exercises down on paper - what I will do, and how many sets. Then I can put music on, or TV or something, and do my workout. When I bought the DVD, I expected it to be a traditional follow-along workout video.
    I'm glad you like it Clarice. We debated whether or not to make it a follow-along workout. We chose not to because every person progresses each exercise at their own pace. If we had everyone doing 2 sets of 10 of a certain exercise at a low progression level, then those at a higher fitness level would not benefit from the program. With Sk8strong's instructional format, a skater can progress each exercise at their own pace, avoiding injury and getting the maximum benefit from the exercise program. Each exercise progression is layed out on paper and described in the DVD. The idea is for a skater to learn the exercise program by watching the DVD as much as they need to, then be able to do it independently. We also created ipod-format videos for those who want to bring the workout to the gym.

I will change the wording slightly in the description so it is completely clear that the clips are instructional and not a follow-along workout. Thanks for the comments!

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    I have Gus Lussi's Systematic Figure Skating tapes. They are pretty good, and he goes through the delayed axel technique which is really neat to watch. You can tell his focus is on developing really strong skills. He also gives some tips about spinning like "The Light house" and "The Boxer" and "The Killer" sit spin. Paul Wylie is a demo skater in the tapes, as is Tracy Damigella who was moderately successful in the 80s. They are pretty expensive and I don't know if they are on DVD, but worth it if you can locate copies on ebay. I wish he could've been my coach

I also have the Magic of Style tapes by Ann Margreth Frei. Her tapes are cool because they focus on some artsy-type moves and unusual stuff. She goes through how to do a butterfly, illusion and Biellmann spin, and also does a workout stretching routine at the end of the tape. Oh and lots of choreography ideas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    I have Gus Lussi's Systematic Figure Skating tapes... They are pretty expensive and I don't know if they are on DVD, but worth it if you can locate copies on ebay... I also have the Magic of Style tapes by Ann Margreth Frei...
    Thank you, will put them on wishlist! Really hope all the great tapes could be redistributed in more recent formats, and yeah they are pricey!

Off topic, but Figure Skating: Championship Techniques (Sports Illustrated Winners Circle Books) is a great resource book to complement technical videos

vCash
    just got an email from PSA yesterday that the new MIF DVD is available. $40--not too bad.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jjane45 View Post
    Thank you, will put them on wishlist! Really hope all the great tapes could be redistributed in more recent formats, and yeah they are pricey!
    I got them from Rainbo Sports a few years ago, but it looks like they're slowly phasing out their stock and don't carry all three editions of each series. The ones I have are starting to get grainy too...

vCash
    The ones I should mention are the Dance DVDs that have the Dutch Waltz, Canasta Tango, etc on them. They are well produced but do explain the beginner dances very well. Plus they are performed by adult skaters which is good to see.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    There are some pricey, but excellent, instructional videos at icoachskating.com

The site is open to anyone, not just coaches, but the subscription fee is prohibitive.
    ($30-44 / MONTH)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Isk8NYC View Post
    There are some pricey, but excellent, instructional videos at icoachskating.com

The site is open to anyone, not just coaches, but the subscription fee is prohibitive.
    ($30-44 / MONTH)
    Just curious, what's stopping anyone from joining for a month and downloading all the videos and dropping their membership? I was easily able to download one of the trial videos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast