View Poll Results: Would Kristi have continued to 1994 had she not won in 1992?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, she would have definitely gone for 94 but retired after 94 win or lose

82 92.13%
  • no, she still retires after the 92 season at only 20, even without the Oly Gold

2 2.25%
  • if she were to lose the gold in 94 too she continues possibly to 98 as well

5 5.62%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Would Kristi have continued to 1994 had she not won in 1992.

If Kristi had lost the 1992 Olympic Gold medal to Midori Ito or someone else do you believe she would hae continued to 1994 or still retired after the 92 season. My personal feeling is she would have continued to 1994 for sure had she not won in 1992. She would have wanted another shot at the Olympic Gold.

vCash
    Of course she would have gone on to 94. It was only 2 years away, and she was still one of the more consistent competitors. She probably would have easily won 93 Worlds.

Considering she was still doing lutzes and flips in pro events and exhibitions around 98, she still could have been competitive at Nagano, but I doubt she would have stuck around that long.

vCash
    I'm not sure.

She has publicly stated that the stress of competition got to her and she was happy to retire.

OTOH - 1) the field was weaker and 2) it was only 2 years away.

A competent performance in Lillehamer would've given her the gold. I mean I was able to speculate in another thread that Jill Trenary's performance in '90 would've been competitive against Baiul's winning performance in '94

Other points to consider if Kristi continued to compete-

What would've Tonya Harding done? Given up in the face of 2 obstacles in her path instead of 1 [Nancy]? Or would her goon squad have gone after both?

Would Nancy's cred have dropped a little?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Would Nancy's cred have dropped a little?
    Nancy has never beaten Kristi, not even once. Not in novice, juniors, seniors, pros. If they were tennis players and played only head to head duels one would say Nancy was Kristi's pigeon or lapdog. The funny thing is Nancy has also beaten every skater who has beaten Kristi before at some point. Nancy would have to raise her level of skating to a level she never raised it to including the 93-94 season to compete with a normal Kristi.

I dont think Nancy ever enjoyed being the one to beat or even the top American though. She may have prefered Kristi to have been around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post

I dont think Nancy ever enjoyed being the one to beat or even the top American though. She may have prefered Kristi to have been around.
    This.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    This.
    It is a funny thing too as Nancy showed with her dissapointment at not winning the 94 Olympics she still did dream of winning the major Championships like others. And with Kristi around she not only was not the favorite but she couldnt even aspire to win a major event. She really had no chance to ever win a major title if Kristi was there. Atleast with Midori and Tonya she could hope they fell on some of their big jumps and then to beat them with higher artistic marks (even with her own usual mistake littered performance). With Kristi there was really no way for Nancy to even try to beat her since she was technically superior, artistically superior, more consistent, and had a better reputation with the judges. Yet it didnt seem to bother her all the same.

I actually think Nancy's best ever chance to beat Kristi might have been at the 1990 Goodwill Games if she had skated her best.

vCash
    She would have continued to 1994 if she lost in 92 in my view.

vCash
    I think that she definitely would have continued on to 1994. During 1992 Worlds one of the commentators talked about how she wasn't sure whether or not she would continue to compete because Kristi and her coach didn't expect her to win til 94.
    I'm going to twizzle into a triple axel and spiral out of it.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Given how she performed at Skate America in 1991, I'd hoped Harding would take gold in Albertville. Potentially, she had the most exciting free skate that season.

vCash
    Would Tonya have continued had she won in 1992. Would Nancy have if she had won in 92 (not that this was ever likely). The only one certain to retire was Midori.

vCash
    Nancy has never beaten Kristi, not even once. ... If they were tennis players and played only head to head duels one would say Nancy was Kristi's pigeon or lapdog.
    If they were in prison, Nancy would have been Kristi's b1tch...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    If they were in prison, Nancy would have been Kristi's b1tch...
    Thanks, you put it best.

vCash
    That's a shame she stopped after 1992 Worlds.
    She could have won 1993 and 1994 Worlds, and 1994 Olys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    That's a shame she stopped after 1992 Worlds.
    She could have won 1993 and 1994 Worlds, and 1994 Olys.
    And she most certainly would have gotten the US three olympic/world spots in 94 (and potentially 95) and who knows which of the three US skaters would have continued on to 94 worlds. Michelle and Nicole may have had to wait another year to compete. So many possible outcomes...

vCash
    It is interesting almost nobody chose the bottom option too. I guess the idea she could ever have lost the 94 gold to Baiul or Kerrigan is beyond anyones imagination.

vCash
    It is interesting almost nobody chose the bottom option too. I guess the idea she could ever have lost the 94 gold to Baiul or Kerrigan is beyond anyones imagination.
    Well, after, at least 2 World titles and an Olympic medal, I don't see her staying for another 4 years. By Nagano, she was 26 !
    At that time, 22 was already old in this sport !

vCash
    She has said that was her plan. She was competing in 1992, but the plan was supposedly to medal in 1992 and win gold in 1994.

However, I have to wonder if that is some sort of revisionist theory. It is easier to say once you already have your gold. Perhaps that was the "back up plan" in case she didn't do well in 1992. You know, "oh this was only practice for 1994."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    What would've Tonya Harding done? Given up in the face of 2 obstacles in her path instead of 1 [Nancy]?
    Well, 3 obstacles, if you count the massive bag of groceries she carried back there into the '93 season

vCash
    I remember her saying her and Kurt had conversations to this respect so yes.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    It looks like Kerrigan and Baiul and the entire 93-94 cast of contenders should both send flowers to Ito for falling in the SP at the 92 Games. It appears the consensus is Ito not beating Yamaguchi for the 92 Gold as many expected let the leaders of the next 2 years escape the wrath of Kristi, a skater who probably could have beaten the entire 93-94 cast in her sleep.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast