Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Duck Hunter
    vCash

We got a kitten!

His name is Tetley

If anyone has any tips or tricks or suggestions fire 'em at me. Neither of us have ever had a kitten before lol!

vCash
    Such gorgeous eyes!

We "have" a kitty who technically belongs to our neighbor but likes to visit us all the time, probably because it gets more spoiled over here than it does next door. We keep joking about how we want to steal it

vCash
    Start him on a nice scratching post or two right away, before he finds out about sharpening his claws on the furniture. Give him lots of love and handle him a lot, always gently. Tons of contact and socialization make a great cat.

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    We went out and bought a bunch of stuff the day before we got him. He has a nice cushy bed which he already loves, a scratch post, some toys and a couple of dishes for food and water. BF's sister (who's cat this kitten belongs to) gave us a litter box. Oh.. and food of course.

I was worried last night that he was gonna be crying all night, but he stayed in bed (as far as we know, we put a collar with a bell on him so we know where he is lol) and we didn't hear a peep from him. This morning he was curled up in a ball in the corner of his bed lol. We have been handling him a lot.. he fell asleep on both our laps last night and snuggled up right beside me on the couch. He's definitely a lover and a cuddler. We hold him and pet him and he snuggles right in and starts purring away.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    very cute! congrats
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    How cute! How did he get the name 'Tetley'?
    Last edited by soxxy; 06-23-2010 at 07:02 PM.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    adorable! congrats.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I have a soft spot for grey cats. Congrats!
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Start him on a nice scratching post or two right away, before he finds out about sharpening his claws on the furniture. Give him lots of love and handle him a lot, always gently. Tons of contact and socialization make a great cat.
    Scratching posts are all-important. Put them near whatever he tries to scratch. When he goes to scratch the couch, for example, say "no" firmly, and redirect his scratching to the post. When he scratches the post instead, even for a second, he gets a "good kitty!"

If you're interested in clipping his nails to minimize scratch damage, if you do this from when he's young, it's not a big deal. The vet can show you how, if you need a lesson as I did.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    How cute! Congratulations!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Cats can't be stolen. The cat will adopt you (and the better deal) over your neighbor if s/he chooses. There is a difference (this is coming from someone who was adopted by her neighbor's cat - neighbor didn't want her anyway so she's all mine now!).

Tetley is so cute!
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Adorable. Tetley looks a lot like my old cat. I therefore would suggest a good brush because she is going to have a lot of hair -- and the hairballs that come with it.

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by soxxy View Post
    How cute! How did he get the name 'Tetley'?
    Well.. we thought about naming him Earl because usually if we go out for coffee I get an Earl Grey tea, and he is grey so it made sense.. but I didn't like it, so BF came up with Tetley cause I'm a huge tea drinker in general. I thought about it for a few days before we got him and it grew on me.. so Tetley it was

Allskate we were wondering about that so we definitely have plans to get a brush. Any suggestions on the best kind?

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bobalina77 View Post
    Well.. we thought about naming him Earl because usually if we go out for coffee I get an Earl Grey tea, and he is grey so it made sense.. but I didn't like it, so BF came up with Tetley cause I'm a huge tea drinker in general. I thought about it for a few days before we got him and it grew on me.. so Tetley it was

Allskate we were wondering about that so we definitely have plans to get a brush. Any suggestions on the best kind?
    I like Tetley better, too.

vCash
    How adorable!!!! He's got some Maine Coon in him? The M on his forehead reminds me of such.

And I love his name. Welcome, Tetley! KC sends a few chirps and purrs your way.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    Everything will become a toy! Be careful to pick up rubber bands and small packaging items so he doesn't swallow something he shouldn't. I had a kitty swallow a small piece of Starbucks Frap wrapping and it stuck in her throat. Had to be extracted by the vet.

Don't let him play/wrestle with your hands! It's not a habit you want him to have. Instead, hold on to a stuffy toy and let him play with that. Use fishing pole toys, too. If you use a laser pointer, never point it directly into his eyes.

A water bottle cap on linoleum flooring will keep him happy for hours.

I could go on for pages...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    We "have" a kitty who technically belongs to our neighbor but likes to visit us all the time, probably because it gets more spoiled over here than it does next door.
    We have a couple of those.

Your kitty is just beautiful, bobalina. Enjoy him!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bobalina77 View Post
    It's a matter of taste for the cat. Some like harder bristles and some like them softer. Given your cat, you might need a brush with harder and longer bristles, at least when the cat gets older. But, really, the trick is to get the cat to like it from the very beginning. My current cat likes being brushed, but my old cat would bite the brush (and get my hand) whenever I tried brushing anything besides the top of her head. You might want to look at reviews for various cat brushes at Amazon.

My cat's favorite toy is a wadded up piece of paper and a paper bag.

vCash
    what a beautiful little kitten. congrats to the new parents!

vCash
    So adorable!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast