vCash

Laptop on plane question

The airline website says my laptop has to be in a checkpoint friendly case with no pockets. I have a laptop case that can open flat but it has compartments and pockets in the main section, is that okay or do I have to buy another?

Watch me move
    vCash
    I haven't flown with my laptop that often, but I'm guessing that "checkpoint friendly" means your bag shouldn't have tons of straps, padding, etc. that make it difficult to take the laptop out quickly.

You could phone the airline to check, but one way around this might be to have the laptop out of its case before you actually get to the security lineup - just put the laptop on the X-ray conveyor belt on top of the case.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I'd think that means it has to be in one of those designated FAA "check point" cases. If you see them for sale on the website, they'll typically say they are approved to go through the checkpoint in the case (if they qualify).

If they weren't designed specifically to be "checkpoint safe", I think you're better off assuming it doesn't qualify.

Otherwise, can't you simply take it out of the case at the checkpoint?
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Let's go Anacode!!!
    vCash
    I always carry my laptop in my backpack when I travel. I just pull the laptop out, put it in one of the gray buckets, and then send my backpack through. But if you have one of those laptop sleeves that just zip up, you can just put that through the belt...leaving the laptop in the "approved" case. Maybe that's what they mean?
    Don't cry because its over...smile because it happened.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    The airline website says my laptop has to be in a checkpoint friendly case with no pockets. I have a laptop case that can open flat but it has compartments and pockets in the main section, is that okay or do I have to buy another?
    Unless the specific airline has its own requirements, and that would mean security checkpoints that only handle that airline, you don't have to get a new case. "Checkpoint friendly" just means you don't have to take it out of the bag for scanning. You can always use a laptop case that's not checkpoint friendly if you unload the laptop.

Meow. Mrow. Miao. Purrrr.
    vCash
    Of course, if you buy an iPad, you don't have to take it out. The FAA has declared it doesn't count like a regular laptop. 6 airports in June and FAA people were all cool with it.

For a real laptop, yes, they mean a checkpoint approved case that will open up flat with the laptop in its own section without pockets, or take it out (I do) or a sleeve without a metallic zipper.
    Sit vis nobiscum.
    Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slicekw View Post
    Of course, if you buy an iPad, you don't have to take it out. The FAA has declared it doesn't count like a regular laptop. 6 airports in June and FAA people were all cool with it.
    I've seen people get cleared and then be told as they're exiting security that they need to take them out next time. The same for Kindles.

vCash
    I never take my Mac out of its bag. I use this...http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CE4Q8gIwBQ#

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by asdf334 View Post
    I've seen people get cleared and then be told as they're exiting security that they need to take them out next time. The same for Kindles.
    When I went to San Francisco a couple of weeks ago, there was a guy calling out again and again for people to take out their iPads and Kindles. My experience traveling extensively from a couple of weeks after 9/11 is that even if the FAA or HSA makes a declaration, it doesn't necessarily mean that all security people will follow it.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    No, you don't need another bag. The "friendly" ones are designed so that no zippers or flaps block the view for the screener. If you have an un-friendly one, it just means that you have to take it out of the case before you put it on the belt.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    The last time I flew (March, I think) there was information by the checkpoints that laptops had to be removed from their cases, whatever they might have been. I had a simple sleeve with a zipper, I put the laptop on it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slicekw View Post
    I got yelled at for not taking mine out.