Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    There are a couple of those I'd like to see someone actually consume -- and stand to tell about it an hour later!
    Yeah, like this one.

4 oz rum
    1 can root beer
    4 oz vodka

3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    I'm totally ordering an Ass the next time I'm out.

That's Klassy.

vCash
    Suck, Bang & Blow!
    1 oz Jacquin's® orange flavored gin
    1 oz Rumple Minze® peppermint liqueur
    2 oz Goldschlager® cinnamon schnapps
    1 oz Jagermeister® herbal liqueur
    3 oz Jose Cuervo® Especial gold tequila
    1 oz Hpnotiq® liqueur
    1 oz Smirnoff® vodka
    1 oz Absolut® Citron vodka
    1 oz Aristocrat® triple sec
    1 peeled, whole lime
    5 oz strawberry daiquiri mix
    2 cups cranberry juice
    1 cup sugar
    I'm drunk just reading that

vCash
    my word, head ache inducing.......

vCash
    Some of those drinks sound like they were created by Sandra Lee.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lanalangfan View Post
    Does it seem too trashy ?
    Well, were you going to drink them all at once? Mix them together?

I missed the memo about a martini being girlie.

I agree that it is generational, as well as situational.

Depending on who is throwing the party, and what they are offering..........fine scotch? or something to put 7-up in?

I don't think one can go too wrong with Vodka/tonic. If it is good vodka....just straight works for me (but then I do get looks).
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    11 days ago I attended to a Finnish-Canadian wedding in Montreal. After the wedding ceremony, when we were waiting the newlyweds at the churchuard, one of my crazy Finnish friends started to tell everyone that it is the custom that every one takes a sip of vodka right after the wedding, and then started to give the drinks from his hip flask to all of the people, including the oldest ladies. I have to say that the Canadian and US guests vere a bit surprised, but followed the fake custom anyway. A least it was a good vodka, Finlandia from the plane.

It was not trashy... Only funny. Nobody got drunk. The grooms had good laughs when they heard the story.

vCash
    In the area where my husband's Polish family lived, the wedding tradition of passing a common cup of brandy or other liquor among the guests somehow through immigration and several generations got turned into passing out shots of blackberry brandy at the door of the reception. So everyone got a shot of blackberry brandy at the front door of out wedding reception and it really was a tradition. It was pretty funny watching my tea totaling Protestant relatives get that introduction to the noisy Polish Catholic world of my husband's family.

vCash
    I think drinking in general is trashy regardless of whether you are a man or woman.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lainerb View Post
    I think drinking in general is trashy regardless of whether you are a man or woman.
    You tell 'em hunter boy.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    I would not drink Scotch, Brandy or Whiskey in a party, because I don´t like any of them. I have always prefered something like Campari with orange juice, White Rum with Coca-Cola, Vodka with lingonberry juice.

vCash
    I don't think it matters what kind of party it is*, and I don't get the male/female rules for drinking. I don't think it's trashy for a woman to drink a shot and a beer and I don't think it's wrong for a guy to have a cosmopolitan. I think gender rules like that are silly. I agree with everyone who said drink what you want as long as you don't get trashed. If you can drink hard liquor and tolerate it, go for it. When I was in college, I only drank scotch & soda. I don't like beer, and wine sometimes gives me a headache. I drank s&s because I figured it had the least calories of anything else I could have. I don't drink that anymore, too strong for me now.

*The only "rule" for me would be - if you go to a party where only wine and beer are being served, don't ask for something else. If you know ahead of time and you prefer something other than wine or beer, bring your own. But I think it's rude to ask for something that the host/hostess is not serving.

vCash
    Drinking at all? Or to excess? Have you had a bad experience? Because, though you may not chose to drink yourself, I hardly think that drinking in moderation is trashy.

LordCirque - that's almost a 20oz drink! That is a lot of liquid! I'd be sick or out cold if I drank that

Prick Admin
    vCash
    But it's so much fun.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Once upon a time, there were cocktails that were perceived as "ladies drinks"; presented as sweeter, with less alcohol, etc.
    I learned about them when my father taught me to tend bar for myself.

Now, I think such ideas are passe'.
    The only thing that matters is to drink whatever you choose, in moderation.
    Oh, they're not passe, ask anyone who's tended bar (for money). They're still wimpy drinks, they're just now not limited by gender. Far too many people, really, order mixed cocktails that are more about masking the alcohol content than about enjoying a fine liquor. They ARE handy because they make it easier when you aren't quite ready to cut someone off but want to underpour, as the sweet mixers hide a reduced alcohol content.

My parents taught me if you're going to drink alcohol, drink it because you appreciate the flavor of the alcohol, not for the intoxicant factor with the taste masked by sweet mixers.

Other lessons: the Long Island Iced Tea is, at heart, a way to get people to pay a lot of money for what's basically a speed-rack cleaning drink (the speed rack usually holds, left to right, vodka-gin-rum-tequila in the first four, then you put in triple sec, bar mix, and a cola splash. It's basically for getting rid of stuff. (You'd have to be an idiot to order an LIIT with call brands.) A LOTof the sillier cocktails are for that.

Oh, and if you're in Boston, don't drinkt he Dirty Water Shot. Srsly.

A nice scotch whisky is never out of order.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lanalangfan View Post
    Does it seem too trashy ? What's a classy drink for a woman but not too girly like a Martini?
    Ditto on all those who say drink what you want. But if you want a lady's drink that won't get you soused and is rather elegant, try a Campari and soda.

Of course most of my friends claim it tastes like cough medicine but you can't have everything.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post

My parents taught me if you're going to drink alcohol, drink it because you appreciate the flavor of the alcohol, not for the intoxicant factor with the taste masked by sweet mixers.
    My father gave me the same advice.

I've never understood the current fad for specialty "martinis"; and other similar cocktails.
    I don't care for anything overly sweet; or for something where the purpose is to use/drink as much alcohol as possible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    Ditto on all those who say drink what you want. But if you want a lady's drink that won't get you soused and is rather elegant, try a Campari and soda.

Of course most of my friends claim it tastes like cough medicine but you can't have everything.
    This is nice too:

http://www.cocktailtimes.com/gin/negroni.shtml

If I'm going to sip something that is plain, it would usually be B&B or Drambuie. I don't much like fruit flavored aperitifs.

Vacant
    vCash
    Are certain drinks in the US not associated with a womans class? I have no idea and merely wondered but here in the UK where of course we all drink like fish there are still very clear distinctions about what a woman should be seen to drink which is very much class related, not so much in the teenage generation who seem to drink anything and everything but certainly at my age and above in some circles. For instance I know several women who would not be seen dead with a pint of lager but will drink half pints instead which was always the custom in pubs and bars. I know of men who wouldn't let their wives drink a pint in public as it is seen as common.

There are also quite specific gender-related drinks and it is still perceived as 'unfeminine' by some for a woman to drink lager or beer, likewise a man would raise eyebrows in many pubs just by drinking wine or - God forbid - a martini

For the record I love martini's

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    3539 and counting.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast