vCash

Grab your bat and hit the sweet spot. Tennis 2010 vol.3

Nadal v Berdych tomorrow.

So far:

Womens Champion: Serena Williams
    Mens doubles: Jurgen Melzer and Philipp Petzschner
    Womens doubles: Yaroslava Shvedova and Vania King

vCash
    I'm actually anticipating a good match betwixt Tommy B. and Rafa.....or least I'm hoping for one!

On a personal note, my usual "Wake up to Wimbledon" breakfast is cancelled for this year. Thank goodness, actually, my pre-Pride booze brunch last week wiped me out and we're 1/2 way thru having the living room repainted.

Looks like mimosas in bed tomorrow morning!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrunch
    Nice to see her pass BJK with 13 majors. She could conceivably catch Chris & Martina with 18 but I don't think she has any shot to catch Graf at 22.
    I personally don't think it's really possible to make accurate comparisons between players of different eras. IOW, even if Serena gets 18 majors, would that make her the equal of Chris and Martina? I don't think so. A lot of major players used to skip the Slams in the '70s to play team tennis, so the totals for Chris and Martina could have been a lot higher. Furthermore, Serena's competition has been so slight the past few years, whereas Chris and Martina always had the other (at the very least) to contend with. If Martina had faced such slim competition as she entered her late 20s, she could probably have won at least 10 more Slams than she did IMO.

Kudos to Zvonareva for making the finals. She certainly deserved to be there and beat a lot of good players to make the finals (Wickmayer, Jankovic, Clijsters). With that being said I wouldn't expect her to ever make another GS final. I think this was it for her.
    I think you're right. The sad part isn't that Vera didn't win but that she didn't give much of a fight. Too bad Sharapova or Clijsters or even Henin didn't make the final. They would have made things much closer IMO. It's also too bad Sharapova had two set points over Serena but couldn't convert. She's only 23, so hopefully she can get her form back. I also hope we see more of Kvitova--we need a new young phenom to help put some excitement back in tennis.

vCash
    Womens tennis is a mess at the moment. Venus fading well out of their prime, Henin horribly off form ever since her comeback started inspite of making the Australian final, Clijsters dissapointing in slams this year, and Sharapova still on the comeback trail. The other Russian contenders all remain as streaky an enigmatic as ever, Ivanovic and Safina look finished (not that they will be missed being near the top much), while Jankovic and Stosur continue to look for their maiden slam titles.

At this rate Serena could win a Calendar Slam in either 2011 or 2012. I would be happy for her if she could pull it off. She will definitely have to do it one of those years though IMO since even if the womens game remains this week she isnt going to ever win the French or be that dominant in a year she starts 31 or older as she would starting in 2013.

vCash
    Let's focus on what's important here.

Bepa's new coach is SMOKIN' (Probably NSFW)

His name is Sergey and he used to be a tennis pro/Abercrombie model.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    I have to go out tomorrow morning and am going to miss the men's final.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27
    Womens tennis is a mess at the moment. Venus fading well out of their prime, Henin horribly off form ever since her comeback started inspite of making the Australian final, Clijsters dissapointing in slams this year, and Sharapova still on the comeback trail. The other Russian contenders all remain as streaky an enigmatic as ever, Ivanovic and Safina look finished (not that they will be missed being near the top much), while Jankovic and Stosur continue to look for their maiden slam titles.
    Very true. I hope Kvitova is one of the next "big things." She seems to have a lot of promise. Definitely a tough chick.

At this rate Serena could win a Calendar Slam in either 2011 or 2012.
    If she hasn't been able to do that in the past 3 years, I don't see it ever happening.

She will definitely have to do it one of those years though IMO since even if the womens game remains this week she isnt going to ever win the French or be that dominant in a year she starts 31 or older as she would starting in 2013.
    I would be surprised if she wins the French again. Granted, unlike Venus, Serena actually could win it, but I doubt she will. She's past her prime too, but barring any serious injuries, I suspect she'll fade more gradually than Venus. I also think that, like last year, someone else may win the U.S. Open too. If she stays healthy, of course, Serena should have several Slams left in her, but I think things will slowly start winding down. OTOH, if she gets injured to the extent Graf and Seles did in their late 20s, then all bets are off.

vCash
    I personally don't think it's really possible to make accurate comparisons between players of different eras. IOW, even if Serena gets 18 majors, would that make her the equal of Chris and Martina? I don't think so. A lot of major players used to skip the Slams in the '70s to play team tennis, so the totals for Chris and Martina could have been a lot higher. Furthermore, Serena's competition has been so slight the past few years, whereas Chris and Martina always had the other (at the very least) to contend with. If Martina had faced such slim competition as she entered her late 20s, she could probably have won at least 10 more Slams than she did IMO.
    I like Serena but honestly she would need to win about 25 slams to even be at the level of Graf, Court, Navratilova, and Evert, at this point.

Evert as you said has probably the most deceiving slam count ever. Had everyone played the French and Australian in those days she would have won an addition 3 French Opens for sure (unbeatable on clay completely from 76-78) and probably another 2 or 3 Australians from 1975-1980. She really should have 23 or 24 slams.

Court's slam tally is inflated by the Aussie Open status then. She really should have only about 20 slams. Still the women retired for about a year on 3 different occasions while dominating the game to either have a baby and once to open a flower shop. She had 5 different 3 or 4 slam years including the Calendar Slam in 1970, two of those 11 years apart. And like Navratilova she has enormous records in doubles too.

Graf's tally of 22 slams is possibly inflated by the Seles stabbing but she is the most versatile singles performer ever. She was dominant and won huge amounts on each surface- 7 Wimbledons, 5 U.S Opens, 6 French Opens. She like Court had 5 different years winning 3 or 4 slams, including the Calendar Slam in 1988. She actually won all 3 slams she played in 95 and 96 too including the French-Wimbledon-U.S Open triple but injury forced her out of the Aussie Open both years.

Navratilova of course had such an amazing record in both singles and doubles back when doubles actually was a legitimate competitive field (these days it is a joke at the pro level). She won 9 Wimbledons at the Worlds most prestigious event. She has over 160 tour titles, breaking Evert's record. And she was reaching slam finals and winning tournaments at ages 36 and 37 when she retired.

Serena has won only 37 tournaments which is a pathetic total for a 13 slam winner. She has fewer than not only Henin and Venus, but even Clijsters and Davenport. Her "dont give a heck about anything but the slams" attitude she has had for years now will come back to bite her in the ass when people evauluate her career. People will also look back on the period since 2008 and consider it the worst womens field in history so many of her slam victories since that point, unless the field improves, wont impress as much either. Just winning 18 slams would definitely not put her in the same league as the above 4 players though all things considered. She would even have to go well beyond that.

vCash
    Upset special: Call me crazy but I'm picking Berdych to win today over Nadal. His game is huge on grass and it seems like its his time now. For sure Nadal is the better player but today I think Berdych will find a way to beat him. Berdych in 4 sets (with 3 of them going to tie-breakers).

Berdych is 24 and that was the age that the other 2 Czech major winners won their grand slam titles (Jan Kodes in 73, and Ivan Lendl at 84 French Open).

At +290 Berdych is a good bet IMO off-shore. (bet 100 on Berdych to win and you get 290). The odds on Nadal have gone from -300 to -380 (bet 380 to win 100).

And there you have today's betting lesson.

Go Berdych!

vCash
    Rafa jumping around before the warm-up, like a puppy at Christmas. I find it kinda ...comical.

Vacant
    vCash
    Can anyone else hear some random heavy breathing over the microphone watching this? Is it someone in the BBC broadcast booth? It's kind of distracting!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    Can anyone else hear some random heavy breathing over the microphone watching this? Is it someone in the BBC broadcast booth? It's kind of distracting!
    Yes! I thought it might be one of the players. Very worrying.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post

Whoa.

Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    John McEnroe commented on the breathing as well. He said it sounded as though one of the ball boys was standing very near a microphone.

vCash
    Bloody dull final so far...

vCash
    A woman after my own heart.....

Was there another Russian Revolution? 'Cause it looks like he's selling the family jewels!
    Last edited by Fergus; 07-04-2010 at 03:38 PM.

vCash

With coaches like him who needs titles?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    Bloody dull final so far...
    At least it won't be long (hopefully)

vCash
    PML. John McEnroe is wishing Berdych was wearing short shorts so that he could check out his muscular legs more easily.

vCash
    Berdych had been playing so well the whole second set to choke so badly when he served to stay in the set.

vCash
    Congrats Rafa!!

Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast