Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Really?

Ingredients: Reindeer fat, seal oil, salmonberries, blackberries

I love ice cream in almost all forms.....
    Hopefully she means the Nebraska eskimo pie!

vCash
    Ah, Rochester, my hometown. Yeah, the Garbage Plate is actually popular there, although I've never had one (thank goodness). It was really disturbing when I took a bunch of high schoolers out to a baseball game (I worked with city school kids, I'm not a creep), and a few of them ordered 2 and scarfed them down.

As for me, I do like Lobster rolls, clam chowder, veggie empanadas, and catfish (although not quite like they prepare it down south).

The huge burger stuff really grosses me out.

vCash
    I'm a New Englander. For many of the more traditional things like the chowdah and lobstah roll, they chose ones that are prepared by chains, rather than the ones that are served at the clam shacks. Really, cucumber and scallions in a lobster roll? The real recipe calls for lobster, celery, and as little mayonnaise as possible. We judge the quality by the ratio of lobster to celery and mayo. Too much of the minor ingredients and we won't go back. Some places may put too much butter/margerine on when grilling the roll, but that's usually not a problem at the places I go.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    he Grand Canyon State takes celebrating fatty foods to a whole new level at the Heart Attack Grill. Patrons weighing over 350 pounds eat for free.
    That people would actually eat something called a Quadruple Bypass Burger at all, let along at somewhere called Heart Attack Grill weirds me out (I think the same about Fat Burger which just opened here), and I think it's disgusting that they would encourage already obese people to eat more unhealthy food by letting them eat for free.

vCash
    MA is a chocolate chip cookie????? are you kidding me? That's it? that's like a mere blip on the Fat screen. Obviously they didn't check the restaurants by the Universities;they seem to specialize in fast n' fatty!

vCash
    Empanadas are goooood (the veggie ones at least) but most of that looks so revolting that I just have no words for it. Meatloaf wrapped in bacon?! I love me some bacon, but that just takes it somewhere it shouldn't go.

vCash
    I live near a boring state. The fattest thing in Washington is a salad?

That meatloaf looks fantastic.

vCash
    They did a version of that meatloaf once on Top Chef. And not only did they cover it in bacon, the chef deep fried it instead of putting it in the oven. I must confess, it looked kinda good, and the judges lurrrved it.

I can't believe the fattiest thing they found in South Louisiana was a damn beignet, which have less fat (though not by much) than a Krispy Kreme donut, and if made right, they are light and airy. Though not 30 minutes after you eat them. A good chicken (real Cajun cooks leave the meat on the bone and skin on, usually dark meat) and sausage gumbo will run up some mega calories. What about bread pudding--bread, rum sauce, sometimes caramel and/or white chocolate? Oh, and fried chicken. HOW did no state in the south have fried chicken?
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    HOW did no state in the south have fried chicken?

Kentucky did have KFC's Double Down. Which I don't care if it does have Kentucky in the name, couldn't they have found something good like Derby Pie or Burgoo?

vCash
    Maryland's Smith Island Cake looks delicious.

And mmmmm for the Vermonster. Meant to be shared among a large group of friends.

vCash
    As a born and bred Okie, I would gladly kill for a good quality Chicken fried steak here in NC. If you are ever in OKC and want to use up a year's supply of fat calories, I recommend Ann's Chicken Fry House .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Really?

Ingredients: Reindeer fat, seal oil, salmonberries, blackberries

I love ice cream in almost all forms.....
    Quite a few people I know claim there is not finer way to eat berries than with any of the following: seal fat, whale blubber, reindeer fat, etc. Most of the people in my area would eat their berries with seal oil and sugar(whale fat/meat would be considered a cultural taboo unlike more northern tribes).

I've never tried it primarily because I don't eat meat products and seals are too cute for me to justify eating their fat or skinning them. Also, I just like my berries fresh from the bush or in smoothies. Though I have made a vegan version using coconut milk that has been cooled so the water separates from the fat and can be poured out and the coconut cream is mixed with your berries.

The salmonberries they mention most likely refer to R. chamaemorus rather than R.Spectabilis.
    Last edited by Lainerb; 07-04-2010 at 11:25 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12