Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

How do we make skating popular again?

Does the sport need another Michelle Kwan? Another rivalry Kwan vs. Lipinski? Drama like the Nancy Tonya scandal or a change in the scoring system?

vCash
    It just needs a great American lady skater. Someone who not only wins the nationial title but also a world title. Not this recent scenario of girls winning the national title and then bombing at worlds while another skater does a lot better than them overall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    It just needs a great American lady skater. Someone who not only wins the nationial title but also a world title. Not this recent scenario of girls winning the national title and then bombing at worlds while another skater does a lot better than them overall.
    I agree. I'm not sure if Mirai is "the one" yet, but I think she might be getting there. Lots of personality that can engage TV viewers is one of her greatest assets.

vCash
    Sex tape.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Define "we". Skating is HUGE in some countries. Or are you only speaking about the US?

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    We need to eliminate all those other media options.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by igniculus View Post
    Define "we". Skating is HUGE in some countries. Or are you only speaking about the US?
    I guess I mean the USA but this can also apply to any country where skating has died out.

vCash
    we need a new michelle kwan. a star the public can embrace. a scandal wouldn't hurt. in addition to trying to increase the presence of figure skating on tv, also consider the other outlets people now go to for entertainment.

besides that, figure skating officials in general need to move forward. the small legion of devoted skating fans have created communities online and uploaded endless youtube videos, helping to expose many classic (and current) programs to the masses that would've otherwise been forgotten. despite the many forums that do exist and skaters' official websites, skating unions' official sites, so on so forth, in general I feel like fs is still very behind in this department.

as civil rights progresses and public opinion sways (the general public in the days of rudy galindo is very different from today's general public) figure skating's officials seem to be going backwards rather than forwards, alienating existing fans as well as not tapping into an extensive potential fan-base of urban young men and women.

all this and more

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Sex tape.
    Lol like this idea. The right person needs to do it tho, is there a Kim k in skating?... Haha

vCash
    tanith belbin has the looks

an evan/johnny sex tape would make my brain implode

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    It already looks pretty popular to me if figure skating in all countries is included. At least it looks popular according to the membership view count at the bottom of our FSU board.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Sex tape.

vCash
    fewer rules so that it can be interesting again. (many, many fewer rules....)

vCash
    Make the short dance have to be performed nude, ladies long now has to have a straight line pom pom segment, Pairs skating can incorporate the use of a pole or a table. Would these work?
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    Make the short dance have to be performed nude, ladies long now has to have a straight line pom pom segment, Pairs skating can incorporate the use of a pole or a table. Would these work?
    Can't believe no one else thought of it til now really.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    an evan/johnny sex tape would make my brain implode
    Oh god. Now that would just about do it, I think. It might not last, but it would definitely put skating back in the headlines. Incidentally, in a weird way it would explain a lot about their longstanding animosity for each other. Love scorned anyone?

vCash
    How do we make skating popular again?

Get a compelling competition going on. Some faces and personalities that stand out would also help.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    Does the sport need another Michelle Kwan? Another rivalry Kwan vs. Lipinski? Drama like the Nancy Tonya scandal or a change in the scoring system?
    All of the above -- but I think something dramatic needs to be done to restore some confidence in the judges. A change in the system won't work because people think that the judges are corrupt -- with corrupt judges, any system won't wok. Maybe, a "whack-a-judge" contest when judges are found to be unfair?

Still voting in the icenetwork "It's your move!" contest.
    vCash
    Weir/Lysacek vs. McElroy/Michaels in Blades of Glory II.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    How do we make skating popular again? Simple. At the conclusion of every ISU event, feature mud wrestling by Nancy and Tonya. Trust me--ratings will go through the roof.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast