Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I think the problem Billy, and I'm even having it, is that he was so built up last season, with the illness, and had so much build up to this season, and he's just not been able to regain the personality and energy he had last season.

Plus I think he's getting very overshadowed by the technique of Alex and the performance level of Robert. Plus we have Kent this season, and he's better at being Billy this season than Billy is.

Billy is an amazing dancer but he's just been lacking something so far.

vCash
    Y'all be craaaazy. I LOVED Billy's solo tonight, though I agree there was something lacking in his performance with Kathryn. I still think he can put it all together and be brilliant though.

vCash
    I liked his solo as well uyeahu. I just think in general, there is something lacking that wasn't in Season 6.

From a dance perspective, the duet with Kathryn was amazing to watch, but I expected there to be a lot more in this than there was. It seemed like Contemporary competition piece from his side. Kathryn performs the FECK out of everything she does, and I don't think Billy has the maturity to perform emotionally like that yet. Or he's just holding something back in his performance for some reason.

This piece SHOULD have been the performance of the night, and was expecting it to be a standout when I read of the pairing and genre, but it was just an okay performance.
    Last edited by LordCirque; 07-01-2010 at 07:31 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Partner dances:

She moved like a newbie drag queen wearing heels for the first time.
    Can we please make this an FSU status???
    _____ is moving like a newbie drag queen wearing heels for the first time? Pretty please?

Okay this was my fave show in a long time!!! Top 5 reasons:

5/ Instead of 2 Tyce pieces, no Tyce pieces!
    4/ Loved Adechike's solo! And he did well with his duet too!
    3/ They included a same gender duet!
    2/ I think the 3 judges are working well together
    1/ ALEX AND TWITCH!!!! I was just hoping that this would work since it was the first same gender dance and since I love Alex and wanted him to hold his own. But I loved it so much I was grateful that it was at the end so I could rewind it right away and watch it 6 times.

There needs to be a we're not worthy bowing icon!!!

vCash
    ALEX WONG......... YOU'RE A FECKING BEAST BEYOND ANYTHING. Just OMG.

That's all.

Okay, no, that's not all. Mary Murphy/Adam Shankman moment approaching:

WTF??? OMG wow, fecking wow, OMFG FECKING WOW!!!!!

vCash
    I have stopped counting the number of times I have rewatched that~!

vCash
    I've rewatched that and his solo quite a few times. Alex, Adechike and Billy all surprised me with the quality of their solo's tonight. Some of the best I've ever seen on this show.

vCash
    If I could force myself to rewind past the last number - I would re-watch those again too!

vCash
    Alex and Twitch just made me forget every other dance tonight. That dance was FABULOUS! At this point, I say give Alex the win and let's watch just him and a different partner every week.

vCash
    I don't really know how it happened, but Adechike is now my second favorite. And I kind of wanted him gone the first week.

I'm glad he's still in it.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Well, the one thing I said a couple of weeks ago was that I wanted to see how Alex handled hip hop to see if he could be loose enough, just to complete my impression of his brilliance. I got my answer.

I loved Adechike this week, both his dance and solo. He really stepped up my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by centerstage01 View Post
    Alex and Twitch just made me forget every other dance tonight. That dance was FABULOUS! At this point, I say give Alex the win and let's watch just him and a different partner every week.
    My daughter said almost exactly this last night.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LordCirque View Post
    I think the problem Billy, and I'm even having it, is that he was so built up last season, with the illness, and had so much build up to this season, and he's just not been able to regain the personality and energy he had last season.

Plus I think he's getting very overshadowed by the technique of Alex and the performance level of Robert. Plus we have Kent this season, and he's better at being Billy this season than Billy is.

Billy is an amazing dancer but he's just been lacking something so far.
    For me, it's that Billy is so small in comparison to the other guys. Even Jose, who hasn't filled out yet, seems bigger. Billy's thing is extension, but all the guys save Jose can match him AND look longer when they do it. I worry about Billy's partnering abilities as well. The balance has to be spot on for him to be able to do it. The all star ladies must shake in their boots when they draw him for anything with lifts.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    For me, it's that Billy is so small in comparison to the other guys. Even Jose, who hasn't filled out yet, seems bigger. Billy's thing is extension, but all the guys save Jose can match him AND look longer when they do it. I worry about Billy's partnering abilities as well. The balance has to be spot on for him to be able to do it. The all star ladies must shake in their boots when they draw him for anything with lifts.
    eta, Billy needs to find a trainer who has worked with wide receivers, defensive backs and point guards. He needs a nutrition and weight program that will give him that explosive power and allow security in the lifts. His dancing is great... body, not so much.
    (sorry about the reply, I thought I had hit edit)
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

following Eden around to the place where we're the only ones who think what we think
    vCash
    aaaaah, I was a few minutes late getting home from a meeting and missed Adechike and Lauren's dance. Sounds like Adechike finally did well.
    Yes, and I was glad for it because I love his solos.

Forget the Hot Tamale Train, there's a new drinking game in town and it's called "when you check the playback". Adam makes really good critical comments about 20% of the time, goes into completely OTT histrionics about 65% of the time, and spends the remaining 15% blathering about the effing playback.
    and to Adam

Billy - I didn't love it. I didn't even like it that much. The mesh of hip hop and contemporary didn't work for me, the costume really didn't work for me, and it was just blah.

Jose - he really is the Butoh Breaker, isn't he? I like what he does, and he has some really nice musicality, but for a hip hop dancer he moves slowly, fluidly, and it's a little odd. I don't hate it, but it's not what we're used to from the hip hop side of things at all.
    Jose isn't really a hip hop dancer, though. There have been straight-up hip hop dancers who don't b-boy (the exquisite Jamile and magnificent Twitch), hip hop dancers who are also b-boys/b-girls (Ryan, Hok, Sarah), a b-boy who also does hip hop (my son's all-time fave D-Trix/Dom), and straight-up b-boyers who don't seem to have a hip hop/having to learn choreography for group dances background at all (Legacy and Jose).[/QUOTE]

Melinda - best dance I've seen from her, including the auditions. I still think it's a mistake for her to tap to the music selections she's chosen, but this was pretty musical. I also felt a connection from her to the dance that has always been missing.

Adechike - My favorite solo of the night. Fluid, emotional, controlled, felt truly choreographed instead of a brief reel of tricks.

Lauren - I was so disturbed by Cyndi Lauper's cover of Unchained melody that I can't remember anything about this solo.
    Agree on all counts, especially re: Cyndi Lauper (whom I normally flove)

vCash
    Alex and Twitch's dance was the most enjoyable dance I have seen on SYTYCD. Emmy!!!

following Eden around to the place where we're the only ones who think what we think
    vCash
    As far as your assessment of the partner dances last night, gen: as much as Kathryn sparkles, and Anya sizzles, I think Allison has been the true rock star of the all-star dancers this year. Her technique, performance quality, and charisma have always been top-notch and she has been (for me) one of the most under-appreciated dancers of the entire series considering the dances she has done here. I'm so happy she is back.

I, too, am glad to have no relationship-related NappyTabs routines ever again. I know a lot of people like their Bleeding Heart routine, but I couldn't get the image of a petulant child throwing a tantrum at her workaholic dad the entire time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Alex and Twitch's dance was the most enjoyable dance I have seen on SYTYCD. Emmy!!!
    agreed

vCash
    Until last night I couldn't really understand why Alex was on the show. He already had what most of the others on the show dream about. He had an actual full-time professional dance career. I know Danny was much the same, certainly talent wise, but Alex had progressed further than Danny in terms of position in the company. What do most of the competitors get who appear on the show, they get the chance to earn a living dancing professionally. Alex already had that. I kept thinking was he so obsessed with being on TV that he'd give up a great job others would die for.

Then I saw him dance with Twitch. I got it. He wants to burst out and try new things. He wants to explore dance. He wants to perform. He was so unbelievably awesome I cannot even describe it.

Return to your discussion. I've vented.

vCash
    Has anyone posted a link to the TwiLex hip hop routine yet?

Anyhow, I agree with you pixie cut. I wasn't sure why he was so upset about not getting on the show last year (I actually thought the show might be too hokey for someone of his caliber, and that he might be better off not having to do ridiculously-choreographed paso dobles or kalinkas, etc.). I think he's fortunate to be on in the year of the all-stars. Getting to dance with people in their own style really allows him to shine.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyGray View Post
    As far as your assessment of the partner dances last night, gen: as much as Kathryn sparkles, and Anya sizzles, I think Allison has been the true rock star of the all-star dancers this year. Her technique, performance quality, and charisma have always been top-notch and she has been (for me) one of the most under-appreciated dancers of the entire series considering the dances she has done here. I'm so happy she is back.
    Allison has been up and down for me (although I loved her in her original season and agree she's one of the best the show has had). first week, great, last week I thought she over-emoted to the point where if she'd been a contestant she'd have been really called to the carpet over it. I wonder if TPTB said something to her, because this week she really reined in the performance to allow Kent to shine (but I still can't get over the aerial in heels). for the purpose of this show, I think Courtney may be my favorite because she always does her job: she performs beautifully, but in an understated way that puts the focus on the other dancer. But in terms of watchability, I'd say Kathryn/Allison are tied for the ladies for me.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast