Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

vCash
    That was freaking awesome. I loved that. Even my parents loved that.

vCash
    WOW!!!!! Is there a bowing icon??? We need one! That was the sh*t!!
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Alex and Twitch steal the show with that. Crowd is going wild. Cat has never heard a roar from a crowd like that.

Great number! Choreo, lighting, music, Nappy Tabs, 10/10. Right up there with the best of the show ever. And Alex was AMAZING. He should win win win. (if he's this much better every week!!!)

eta- Adam is crying.

The concept is Twitch is the psychiatrist and Alex is the patient. It was Lil Jon song.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    NappyTabs routines are so fantastic when they can't use SYTYCD to work out their relationship issues.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Wow, I thought that was awesome. There were a couple moments that I was like, um, I don't know and then all the sudden I was like, wait, this is great.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Alex is just brilliant. That was an awesome, fun routine. He really more than held his own with Twitch.

vCash
    I just realized from the playback that one...Kent looks like a cheesy magician in the face when he's performing. I keep expecting him to pull a rabbit out of a hat, or make his dance partner disappear.

And two, Alex out-danced Twitch....which is pretty amazing.

vCash
    My top three duos: Alex.............................Adechike, Billy (suck it judges )

My bottom three duos: Melinda, Kent, Ashley

My top four solos: Alex............Adechike, Lauren/Robert

My bottom three solos: Ashley....Melinda...............Jose
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    O-M-G!!! ALEX!!! Simply the BEST I've ever seen on this show. Brilliant doesn't even begin to describe it.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Rankings Alex
    Alex
    Alex
    Alex
    Alex places 1st to 4th

5th- Adechike- his number with Lauren was great, and his solo was truly lovely
    6th-Robert- I love the fire he dances with, and his solo was good.
    7th- Lauren, Ashely, Billy, all competent dancers who haven't yet found a place in my heart. Their solos were interchangeble for me.

Bottom two dancers:
    8th- Kent- yep the personality is really wearing thin, and that was a bit disappointing with Allison. His solo was better than Jose's.
    9th- Jose- I liked his salsa with Anya a lot, but I disliked his solo so much he gets the bottom.

If I've forgotten any dancer, I might have wiped my memory and hopefully that dancer will never appear on the SYTYCD stage again.

eta- I think this was one of the best shows ever of SYTYCD. It was a nice mix of solos and different choreographers. I like the judging panel this year, and Cat was really great as host tonight. She never missed a beat- so unflappable and supportive.
    Last edited by rjblue; 07-01-2010 at 03:13 AM.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    My top three duos: Alex.............................Adechike, Billy (suck it judges )

My bottom three duos: Melinda, Kent, Ashley

My top four solos: Alex............Adechike, Lauren/Robert

My bottom three solos: Ashley....Melinda...............Jose
    You're right about Alex. I feel like everybody else is competing for second place. Alex is just other-worldly. I liked all 3 of his performances. I can't wait to see him with Anja. Unspeakable, right?
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    So my rankings for today (which might be revised after I think about it more)

1. Alex & Twitch
    2. Billy & Katheryn
    (Alex and Billy also had my favorite solos)
    3. Ashley & Ade (but her solo was a waste of time)
    4. Lauren & Neil (liked her solo)
    5. Adechike & Lauren (really liked his solo)
    6. Robert & Courtney
    7. Kent & Allison
    8. Jose & Anya (his solo should have been better)
    9. Melinda & Pasha (I'm just not cultured enough to get her solo. And I just don't care)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slicekw View Post
    For some interesting Tyce being Tyce, try watching "Every Little Step".

Actually, SYTYCD fans should watch it, I bet most will find it interesting. It's a documentary about the casting of the re-staged "A Chorus Line".
    I just watched it and floved it. And yes, I hate Tyce even more now.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    Can next week's show be just Alex?
    Something with Kathryn, I don't really care what it is... he's the one contestant who will not be outshone by her.
    And a ballroom with Anya, maybe a waltz, something where he can be beautiful and romantic and charming.
    Then a couple of solos, one really isn't enough.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    My overall rankings after this week:

1. Alex (by a mile)
    2. Billy
    3. Adechike
    4. Kent
    5-6. Robert and Jose are in a dead heat for me.
    7. Lauren
    8. Cristina
    9. Alexie
    10. Ashley
    11. Melinda

vCash
    Finally watched it. Great show. Lots of fun. There was only one train wreck.

My rankings:

1. Alex and Twitch: Loved this thing so much. It was so much fun and I bet Alex is really thinking that this is what he left MCB for. He looked like he was having a blast and it was awesome.
    2. Ashley and Ade: This was very different and I adored it. I thought they were fantastic together. Ade, to me, is still so effortless in his power. He's such a fantastic partner. And Ashley was just so committed. It also helps that they danced to one of my favorite songs ever. I wish, though, that the choreographer looked happier. I don't think it had anything to do with the performance- he just looked rather miserable the whole night.
    3. Adechike and Lauren: I loved this too. They were great together. He was just so freaking endearing and funny. I love funny Dave Scott pieces. And he's such a beautiful man.
    4. Jose and Anya: Dmitri did well in not giving a lot of samba to Jose. But he led Anya well.
    5. Billy and Kathryn: I agreed with the judges that he didn't connect with Kathryn. She was very committed to the emotion and I didn't get it from him.
    6. Lauren and Neil: I wanted more from her. I thought the piece was fine but she dropped the character at times before the wardrobe malfunction and couldn't get it
    7. Robert and Courtney: I felt I'd seen this before. It felt flaily and unsure at times and I think Mia hit the nail on the head when she said that he needed to be more grounded. Not Sonya's best work either.
    8. Kent and Allison: His schtick is getting really old, really fast to me. And his whole I-admire-my-brother-and-he-has-great-morals just rubbed me the wrong way. I'm glad he's getting called out on his reliance on the same old Kent persona. His dancing left a lot to be desired and he was unable to meet Allison anywhere near where he needed to be. OTOH, I think Mandy moved away from the 80s so that's a plus.
    9. Melinda and Pasha: Atrocious. She danced heavy. Her weight was distributed poorly. Bad all around. I don't think the choreography helped either. However, there was no need for Mia and Adam to make any reference to Cristina. That was unnecessary.

Solos:
    1. Alex: He was just the man tonight.
    2. Billy: This is the first time I was truly impressed by him. I loved this piece on him.
    3. Adechike: Awesome. He was different and I liked him.
    4. Melinda: I really liked it. I thought she picked the subtleties in the music really well.
    5. Ashley: I really like her musicality, but I so wish she could stretch her legs more.
    6. Robert: Nothing to write home about.
    7. Lauren: Too much floor work.
    8. Kent: Competition-y and rather meh. I still think he's going to win the show, though.
    9. Jose: I keep wishing Legacy was on the show. I want to be wowed by Jose's b-boying and I'm just not.

IMO, the bottom three should be Melinda, Kent and Robert/Lauren. I have a feeling it's going to be Melinda, Ashley and Adechike. I hope not.

vCash
    Cyn, just put it on, I'm pretty sure Mia is sober tonight. Go back and watch Season 4 or 5, one of those, there was one season where I think she had the bong or bowl under the desk

Dee Caspary!!!! He's well known up in LA. I'm surprised it's taken this long for us to see him actually.

That being said, I'm not a fan of this piece. I love the choreography and I love the music, but I don't like the two together, they just don't fit together to me.
    Last edited by LordCirque; 07-01-2010 at 06:31 AM.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    aaaaah, I was a few minutes late getting home from a meeting and missed Adechike and Lauren's dance. Sounds like Adechike finally did well.

Forget the Hot Tamale Train, there's a new drinking game in town and it's called "when you check the playback". Adam makes really good critical comments about 20% of the time, goes into completely OTT histrionics about 65% of the time, and spends the remaining 15% blathering about the effing playback.

Oh, and I had so many notes (yes, I'm a nerd and I take notes during this show) about almost everyone's costumes that I'm ready to say the costume director for this show needs to be FIRED.

Solos first, since they're easier:

Billy - I didn't love it. I didn't even like it that much. The mesh of hip hop and contemporary didn't work for me, the costume really didn't work for me, and it was just blah.

Jose - he really is the Butoh Breaker, isn't he? I like what he does, and he has some really nice musicality, but for a hip hop dancer he moves slowly, fluidly, and it's a little odd. I don't hate it, but it's not what we're used to from the hip hop side of things at all.

Kent - I loved this. I really sensed his personality (as opposed to the Kent 'persona') and he manages to make the standard contemporary moves feel fresh.

Alex - his technique is impeccable but this choreography didn't do much to highlight what a great performer he is. meh.

Ashley - hated the costume, beginning of the dance was too cutesy poo, good energy later but she wasted a good portion of her limited solo time.

Robert - very raw, a bit rough around the edges, but this showcased his personality and power

Melinda - best dance I've seen from her, including the auditions. I still think it's a mistake for her to tap to the music selections she's chosen, but this was pretty musical. I also felt a connection from her to the dance that has always been missing.

Adechike - My favorite solo of the night. Fluid, emotional, controlled, felt truly choreographed instead of a brief reel of tricks.

Lauren - I was so disturbed by Cyndi Lauper's cover of Unchained melody that I can't remember anything about this solo.

Adechike
    Robert
    Kent
    Alex
    Jose
    Melinda
    Ashley
    Lauren
    Billy
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Partner dances:

Adechike/Lauren - I missed it

Ashley/Ade - Contemporary, Dee Caspary: I didn't think I was going to like this based on the preview, but this dance really highlighted Ashley's strengths. There were some truly lovely moments and there was great chemistry between the dancers. But best female contemporary performance ever? NO. Not even close.

Robert/Courtney: Sonya, so it must be "Jazz": Robert was completely competent in this boring piece, even though he had to wear really unflattering cycling pants. I think Sonya's kind of dialing it in this season

Melinda/Pasha: Salsa, Fabian Sanchez. Wow, way to add insult to injury - assigning Salsa the week after Cristina was sent home. Melinda was atrocious in this. God-awful. To the point that I was embarrassed for her. She moved like a newbie drag queen wearing heels for the first time. But that doesn't excuse what came flying out of Mia's and Adam's mouths. now THAT is adding insult to injury Melinda got dumped on enough, so I'll end by saying that she handled the dress issue very well and she always takes their harsh criticism with class. And she did do her solo very nicely after hearing all that crap.

Lauren/Neil: Joey Dowling Broadway: There was no chemistry between them and there was something very clunky about almost all the lifts. But I think the problem was Neil. I'm not just saying that because he's an unfavorite all-star - he really looked like he was not doing his job in the partnering at all, and he gave her nothing to play off of in the performance department. This is one of the fears I had about this format - when the pair does well, plenty of accolades for the all-star partner, but if things don't go well, it's entirely the fault of the contestant.

Billy/Kathryn - Stacey Tookey: choreographically, this showcased both of them evenly. Kathryn completely upstaged Billy, though. Honestly, he is just sinking like a stone on this show for me. I think he was screwed the first 2 weeks, but he finally gets contemporary and blows it.

Jose/Anya - Samba, Dmitri: I agree with the judges, although i'd articulate it a bit differently. What I find unique and so appealing about Jose is that even when he doesn't have the technique (at all), he goes out there with confidence. He creates a believable and enjoyable performance. He relates to the audience, he relates to his partners, and he looks like he is having the time of his life in a very authentic way. And it's true - he is the first guy so far to hold his own against Anya so far. So even though his shoulders were hiked up and his samba wasn't really samba, this was thoroughly enjoyable and the partnering was great.

Kent/Allison - Mandy Moore Jazz: I didn't hate this as much as the judges did. It came across more like a Broadway routine than jazz, and with that lens I thought Kent did pretty well. Gotta give HUGE props to Allison, though, for doing that aerial in HEELS!

Alex/Twitch - NappyTabs Hip Hop: I was more worried about this being a CrappyTabs piece than Alex doing hip hop. Having it go last in the program made me believe it wouldn't be a complete disaster. If Tabitha and Napoleon promise to only do non-relationship pieces for the show from now on I will welcome them back gladly Alex did a great, great job. held his own against the best hip hop dancer the show has ever seen, was believable and totally cemented himself as the leader of the pack this year. I don't agree that this was the best hip hop program the show has ever had, but it's up there. Great job!!!

My bottom 3 for the night are Melinda, Billy, and I'd have to say Lauren even though I don't think it was her fault. hard to say who the bottom 3 will really be...I don't think Melinda's even got enough support to overcome the Mia/Adam meanness, though, and if she's B3 I can't see anyone else leaving.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

moving right along
    vCash
    gen, I have to agree with you about billy. his solo was total blah. his face is blank so much of the time when he dances.

adecheke was a revelation in his partner dance and in his solo. bravo to him for doing a huge turn around and connecting with his audience and his partner.

melinda, go home.

alex is a joy to watch. his solo had some great pacing, liked the choreo a lot. his partnering with twitch was brilliant.

it was a very satisfying evening of dance. and it was hot tamale train-shriek free. most excellent.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast