Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Contacts that make eyes appear larger

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/04/fa....html?_r=1&hpw

Lady Gaga's anime eyes in Bad Romance video are causing a popularity in contacts imported from Asia that make eyes appear larger.

From reading this article, it seems like this fad's popularity is mostly among Asian girls for now.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Silly me, I thought that was some kind of special effects done on the computer or something.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Bizarre. I predict a lot of eye infections!

vCash
    Why would these contacts be any worse than regular ones?

vCash
    In the U.S. you can only get contacts from your eyes doctor. These "beauty" contacts can be ordered from the internet and worn by anyone without any pre eyes examinations. Your eye sights are too important to be taking chances like this, I think. The first question is who control the qualities of these contacts? If some manufacturer produces a cheaper version, don't you think more people will then buy the cheaper version without thinking the harms they might do?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    In the U.S. you can only get contacts from your eyes doctor.
    In the US, you can get contacts only with a prescription from an eye doctor. But you can get them online as long as you fax them a copy of the prescription.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I've always wanted a few pairs of these: http://bchieap.com/wild-eyes-contact-lenses.html

But they're too expensive for just an occasional prank.

The bigger eye thing? Meh. And no way would I use contacts I wasn't sure of.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    With such demand, I wonder why there aren't any US manufacturers selling approved versions of these.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    You can get contacts elsewhere and without a prescription, they just wont have a prescription in them so if you require contacts you would either be blind or have to wear glasses with them. I see them around a lot more during Halloween as people buy colored ones. I have seen them the most at the local wig shops, just don't ask why I have been in those shops, haha.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    They look creepy. Not sure why someone would want cartoon looking eyes..

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    I watched the video twice and don't remember her eyes being larger at all.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by altai_rose View Post
    With such demand, I wonder why there aren't any US manufacturers selling approved versions of these.
    Good question.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by altai_rose View Post
    It's probably a matter of time, or maybe they figure it's not worth it if it's a fad that will be gone by next month. I imagine it takes quite an approval process to be able to sell contacts in the US, even non-prescription ones. But there are places in Canada selling them that also ship to the US.

vCash
    I saw a YouTube video of some woman wearing Twilight-inspired red contact lenses.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash
    I read that since the lenses are larger, they can block too much oxygen which in the long term can damage the eye. And the article I read also indicated some kids are ordering them with random prescriptions. Prescriptions are not the only issue, contacts need to be properly fitted.

I'm sure my cousin's daughter will have these soon. While her parents are busy spouting xenophobic crap about immigrants, their 15 year old daughter is in her room pretending to be Japanese. I find the whole thing rather ironic.

vCash
    Please, don't anyone show this to Runaway Bride Jennifer Wilbanks! http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/v...ennifer_35.jpg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    I watched the video twice and don't remember her eyes being larger at all.
    Its the part where she is in the bathtub with the pink hair. Look at her eyes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jot the Dot Dot View Post
    Please, don't anyone show this to Runaway Bride Jennifer Wilbanks! http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/v...ennifer_35.jpg

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Her eyes are on Yahoo's main page now. I don't see anything special about them except for the really wide portion of her lower eyelids with white marker. I hope it's just an optical illusion and the edges of her lower eyelids are not that wide. You could put a cup of coffee there.

vCash
    Brrr... back at the end of 90s the contacts I used were reflecting the lights in the clubs. I looked like a freakin vampire with white eyes every time the ultra lights were on me. Can't count the amount of guys I scared with that. I ended up actually wearing glasses to the clubs so people will not freak out.

And yes, beats me why would anyone want to stick anything into their eyes unless they had to.

As far as the prescription goes, I've been buying my contacts without one for more than 10 years. In this country at least

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast