Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 267
  1. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    1,273
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by haribobo View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong someone....but how high/far her previous partner threw her has little bearing on what she could accomplish with someone like Rockne. All I care about is what jumps she can do on her own. Obviously a 2ax and some triple would be good.....
    I know, I just don't think she has great technique on the twist that would make it easy to turn into a triple. I don't know if she has her 2A yet. They did 2F and 2Lz in Novice last season, but it's possible she may have more than that.

    She lists herself at 5'4" on icepartnersearch so this is all a moot point anyway.

  2. #42

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,866
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11372
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    I vote for Rena Inoue.
    They're both great pairs skaters, but it might not be that great a match, even in theory.

    Does Rena have a reliable 3S? She did land one in 1994 nationals. She fell on it a 1997 nationals. The 3T and 2A and the 3Lz were her best & most reliable jumps.

    And it's not clear how much of I&B's problems with the triple twist are due to her rather than to him. She and her previous partner Tomoaki Koyama only did the double twist. They might not have that great a twist as a result.

    Plus she does the throw triple axel and he doesn't, and he can do the throw flip/lutz and she doesn't.

    OTOH, then she'd be going to the 2014 Olympics with her third different partner, and has gone to Olympics once as a singles skater so that'd be quite a record.

  3. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Two-foot skating = BAD
    Posts
    20,501
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Sigh. At this point I'm ready to pair Brubaker and Drew Meekins. Because at least they'd have each other.
    Yes to that!

  4. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,299
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Another comeback for Tiffany Steigler?

  5. #45

    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    France
    Posts
    3,550
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2947
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    You know who'd really do him justice in terms of energy and charisma? Meagan Duhamel

    lol, I was thinking 'let's hope Rockne will find his next partner in the same condition that Craig found Meagan'. He searched, searched, tried, .. and found her.

  6. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,802
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Plus she [Rena] does the throw triple axel and he [Rockne] doesn't, and he can do the throw flip/lutz and she doesn't.
    Rena doesn't do the throw 3A on her own, and Rockne doesn't do the throw flip/lutz on his own. Those are moves they can learn together if they come together as a pair.

  7. #47

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,675
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    43422
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Plus she [Rena] does the throw triple axel and he doesn't, and he [Rockne] can do the throw flip/lutz and she doesn't.
    McLaughlin/Brubaker never attempted throw 3F or 3Lz in competition, did they? I recall them doing throw 3S and 3Lo (with great distance and flow out when successfully completed).

    I remember Inoue/Baldwin trying sbs 3Lz at their first Nationals in 2001.

  8. #48
    podcast mistress
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    Posts
    7,823
    vCash
    2367
    Rep Power
    4368
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    They're both great pairs skaters, but it might not be that great a match, even in theory.

    Does Rena have a reliable 3S? She did land one in 1994 nationals. She fell on it a 1997 nationals. The 3T and 2A and the 3Lz were her best & most reliable jumps.

    And it's not clear how much of I&B's problems with the triple twist are due to her rather than to him. She and her previous partner Tomoaki Koyama only did the double twist. They might not have that great a twist as a result.

    Plus she does the throw triple axel and he doesn't, and he can do the throw flip/lutz and she doesn't.

    OTOH, then she'd be going to the 2014 Olympics with her third different partner, and has gone to Olympics once as a singles skater so that'd be quite a record.
    I was kidding actually, but it is an interesting breakdown you've written!
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

  9. #49

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Driving the Han Yan Fan Van
    Posts
    9,200
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    36844
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    But Drew isn't a strong jumper, is he?
    He's got his triples but is inconsistent. Anyway, both guys seem to have a similar problem--smallish for pairs (Drew is taller than Rockne but very slightly built rather than truck driver-esque), lovely lines, kind of dreamy looking. . .

    manleywoman, I thought Rena would be good for Drew. She might help his inconsistency on jumping because she's so dependable. Then again that didn't work for John "triple toe? what's that?" Baldwin. . .

  10. #50
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,072
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Has Anais Morand found another partner yet? I know that's a stretch with her being from Switzerland..

  11. #51
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I wonder if Ashley Cain would ever switch to skate with Rockne, she's 16 and just won the novice title with Joshua Reagan, she has a lot of nice qualities and where Rockne has a lot of experience and good results, the partnership could work. She looks kinda tall though, but very thin.

  12. #52

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,675
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    43422
    Ashley Cain's listed height in her USFS bio is 5'4" and she will turn 15 later this month.

  13. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Ashley Cain's listed height in her USFS bio is 5'4" and she will turn 15 later this month.
    Oh ok, so she's very young, and tall for pairs already, and likely to grow another inch or two before she stops. Nevermind then. I really like her skating though, she is so elegant on the ice

  14. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    1,273
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I wonder if Ashley Cain would ever switch to skate with Rockne, she's 16 and just won the novice title with Joshua Reagan, she has a lot of nice qualities and where Rockne has a lot of experience and good results, the partnership could work. She looks kinda tall though, but very thin.
    She's thin, but prepubescent at 14 yrs old. 5'4" is just too tall. If she ends up not being able to handle the higher level pair elements, she can concentrate on singles since she has done pretty well there too.... I think she was 2nd in novice last season.

  15. #55
    drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    c'est genifique!
    Posts
    29,983
    vCash
    325
    Rep Power
    39317
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    manleywoman, I thought Rena would be good for Drew. She might help his inconsistency on jumping because she's so dependable. Then again that didn't work for John "triple toe? what's that?" Baldwin. . .
    Don't forget that everytime John does land a triple, Rena has problems(possibly in surprise).
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

  16. #56
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Two-foot skating = BAD
    Posts
    20,501
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Has Anais Morand found another partner yet? I know that's a stretch with her being from Switzerland..
    She has found a partner straight away, never had to search IIRC. She's skating with Ilja Glebov.

    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Don't forget that everytime John does land a triple, Rena has problems(possibly in surprise).
    She's just so shocked, her focus goes totally out of the window.

  17. #57
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I wonder, would Felicia Zhang ever leave Taylor for Rockne? I found her very impressive this past nationals and she has solid jumps from her singles experience. She's also only 5' and thin so she would be the perfect size for someone smaller like Rockne. She is very promising and pairing up with someone like Rockne could help jumpstart her pairs career...

  18. #58

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    16,699
    vCash
    450
    Rep Power
    7993
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I wonder, would Felicia Zhang ever leave Taylor for Rockne? I found her very impressive this past nationals and she has solid jumps from her singles experience. She's also only 5' and thin so she would be the perfect size for someone smaller like Rockne. She is very promising and pairing up with someone like Rockne could help jumpstart her pairs career...

    I like Felicia and Taylor as a team. They've done well together for the short time they've been partnered, I would hate to see them break up.

  19. #59
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,667
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I remember last year, a poster reported that skaters had asked Katy Taylor to skate pairs. She totally refused.

  20. #60
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    180
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I wonder, would Felicia Zhang ever leave Taylor for Rockne? I found her very impressive this past nationals and she has solid jumps from her singles experience. She's also only 5' and thin so she would be the perfect size for someone smaller like Rockne. She is very promising and pairing up with someone like Rockne could help jumpstart her pairs career...
    I really hope that when Rockne goes partner searching it is not at the detriment of some other established pair team. We need to be supporting teams and encouraging them to stay together, not encouraging them the break up because someone "better" comes along. Rockne is extremely talented and I am sure he will have no problem finding another partner, however he is not the only talented pair guy out there, there are several other very talented pair guys out there and Taylor is one of them. I actually think that this season is going to be very exciting without Keauna and Rockne (as much as I will miss them). It will be very interesting to see which teams rise to the top.
    Last edited by hippychick; 07-02-2010 at 05:51 AM.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •