Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    No breaking up Dobbs and Jacobsen!
    Also, Dobbs' listed height is 5'4".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Also, Dobbs' listed height is 5'4".
    And she's even taller than that now, about 5'5" or a bit more, she was taller than Mao in pictures from 4CC small medal ceremony, and Mao towers over other skaters listed as 5'4", Amanda is quite tall for a pairs skaters, too tall for Rockne and plus seems to be doing well with Joseph.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I don't remember Blake doing pairs. I thought she did dance. Maybe she did both?
    Yeah but her jumps are a complete mess, and plus she's starting Harvard this fall anyway.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    There's no need to judge Blake Rosenthal's jumps by 2010 Nationals alone -- they weren't "a complete mess" when she won Eastern Sectionals last November.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Yeah but her jumps are a complete mess, and plus she's starting Harvard this fall anyway.
    Blake Rosenthal can jump decently (2A and 3S), but let's be honest, I just don't think she's a good pair skater (I realize she has very limited pair experience, but still). Her split double twist at Sectionals last year was absolutely tragic. You could blame her partner for that somewhat, but it's definitely her too. She's weak on the other pair elements as well... Her death spiral is particularly poor, and she was doing very basic lifts. Aside from that, she doesn't really know how to present well at all. She and her partner skated to Nessun Dorma last year, and it was just cold. Sorry if I'm picking this poor girl apart (her solo jumps do seem fine), but realistically, she's not going to be a high level pair skater anytime soon. It's not all about the jumps, that's for sure. Having to partner someone and complementing that person well is a completely different animal. (And as you mentioned, she's going to Harvard anyway.) But in general, you could see why it would be so hard for a singles skater to make a smooth transition to pairs.

Quote Originally Posted by haribobo View Post
    Yes, Kyoko Ina! If not her, maybe Jamie Sale, Shelby Lyons, or Irina Rodnina!
    How about Tamara Moskvina? ... She's still short.

Quote Originally Posted by aymkjb88 View Post
    Amanda Dobbs!!! She's young, she's fit, she can certainly jump, she's doing both single skating and pair skating and she's based in SoCal! She'll be a great partner for Rockne!
    You are not the only one who has mentioned this, and no offense, but how could people look at Dobbs and think she could skate with Rockne? She's practically his height! Even on TV she comes across as very tall for a pair skater.
    Last edited by stjeaskategym; 07-02-2010 at 11:33 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post
    Blake Rosenthal can jump decently (2A and 3S), but let's be honest, I just don't think she's a good pair skater (I realize she has very limited pair experience, but still). Her split double twist at Sectionals last year was absolutely tragic. You could blame her partner for that somewhat, but it's definitely her too. She's weak on the other pair elements as well... Her death spiral is particularly poor, and she was doing very basic lifts. Aside from that, she doesn't really know how to present well at all. She and her partner skated to Nessun Dorma last year, and it was just cold. Sorry if I'm picking this poor girl apart (her solo jumps do seem fine), but realistically, she's not going to be a high level pair skater anytime soon. It's not all about the jumps, that's for sure. Having to partner someone and complementing that person well is a completely different animal. (And as you mentioned, she's going to Harvard anyway.) But in general, you could see why it would be so hard for a singles skater to make a smooth transition to pairs.
    You probably don't realize it but Blake was an amazing dancer. She was sent to the JGP in both singles and dance, which is incredibly rare the only other US skater I can remember is Charlie White. I see you don't like her skating, but she really did have the partnering skills and good singles skills as well.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    However, stjeaskategym does raise the good point (that's worth repeating) that being a good singles skater (and jumper) does not automatically transfer over to being a good pair skater ... just as pairs and dance -- both in partnering and skills -- are very different disciplines.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    However, stjeaskategym does raise the good point (that's worth repeating) that being a good singles skater (and jumper) does not automatically transfer over to being a good pair skater ... just as pairs and dance -- both in partnering and skills -- are very different disciplines.
    Exactly... I'm not judging her ability as a dancer... I don't think I've ever seen her dance before, and if I have, I certainly don't remember it. I'm just commenting about her pair skating.

vCash
    He needs someone small with good jumping capabilities and talent for pairs as well. His best bet is finding a singles skater who'd like to try pairs.

There aren't many pair girls up to Rock's standards. Sorry to them :/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post
    How about Tamara Moskvina? ... She's still short.
    Why do I have images of Betty White's mancake calendar running through my head as I read this....

vCash
    Hated that Tracy Tanovich and Michael Chau broke up, but wouldn't mind seeing how she'd do with Rockne. Too bad she's so young. (Yes, much too young to skate with Brubaker. Plus, she'll probably have a growth spurt in a couple of years and get too tall, too.)

Maybe Rockne should move to Florida and see if Peterson/Johnston would be able to find him a partner there.
    Last edited by easilydistracte; 07-24-2010 at 03:45 AM. Reason: spelling, spelling, spelling

vCash
    [QUOTE=olympic;2825909]Why do I have images of Betty White's mancake calendar running through my head as I read this....[/QUOTE
    Last edited by OrioleBeagle; 07-24-2010 at 12:29 AM. Reason: wrong url

vCash
    Last edited by OrioleBeagle; 07-24-2010 at 12:44 AM. Reason: grammar

vCash
    Send Rockne up here to Canada. I'm sure he can find some nice Canadian girls willing to skate with him.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    It's a shame that there are so few good male partners to begin with, in both dance and pairs.

And yet when one appears, we can't find a good female match.

Poor Rockne (and Peter Tchernyshev too).
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    Send Rockne up here to Canada. I'm sure he can find some nice Canadian girls willing to skate with him.
    I don't think you have any up to his standard either.

vCash
    I haven't heard much of Daniele Kahle. Is she still skating? Maybe she would try pairs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    I haven't heard much of Daniele Kahle. Is she still skating? Maybe she would try pairs.
    She coaches in Simi Valley, CA...I think she may be too tall for Rockne.
    Happy Skating!

Crzesk8dad

vCash
    Tell Jennifer Don to dust off her skates!
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Tell Jennifer Don to dust off her skates!
    What a great idea! I forgot about Jennifer.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast