Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Media or no media, there is such a thing as a biological clock. Of course it's different for everyone, but there will be a day, sooner or later, when the Duggars can't have any more babies.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    I wish! 35.
    Sorry, your post (IMO) didn't reflect that. hell, you're almost over the hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Media or no media, there is such a thing as a biological clock. Of course it's different for everyone, but there will be a day, sooner or later, when the Duggars can't have any more babies.
    And you think that's when they're in their 40's?
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Ok, I do realize that you can still have a baby well into your forties, but usually you have to try for a while when you get older; they just make it look so darn easy the way they get pregnant at the drop of a hat (or the drop of something).... I would have thought that well would be starting to dry up now.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    And you think that's when they're in their 40's?
    That's when it happens for a lot of women.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    I have to ask - Wouldn't sex after 19 kids be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I have to ask - Wouldn't sex after 19 kids be like throwing a hot dog down a hallway?
    Someone feels impelled to ask that in every Duggar thread.

I have no scientific basis for this, but I wonder if pregnancies stimulate fertility in some way.

Again, no actual evidence, just I know of women who have gotten pregnant when they are perimenopausal and it has set them back years, to so to speak. And I know some women who really struggled to get pregnant for the first time at a relatively advanced age, then had second children right away.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Well, (and I believe in an episode Jim Bob gave a book of his to Joshua on his wedding day for "instruction" for his wedding night) their guide for Christian sexual behavior is Dr. Ed Wheat. I checked out one of his books ("Intended for Pleasure") at the library and well, there are secular books out there that I think are healthier for marriages.

I never went to a church this fundamentalist, but this kind of stuff is why I started to a more mainline church.

vCash
    Some woman in India had a baby at 70...

vCash
    Thank God they have all those daughters to continue the tradition .

I'm surprised non of the girls are married or even engaged yet. Aren't the older girls in their early 20s now?

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I'm surprised non of the girls are married or even engaged yet. Aren't the older girls in their early 20s now?
    Looks like the oldest one is 20.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/19_Kids_and_Counting
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I'm sure they are in no rush to have their oldest girls married off. Who would raise the little ones if that happened?

vCash
    There have been some rumors that either the oldest girl or the second oldest boy (twins) are engaged. They are the only two who are 20 and not married right now.

Judging from what the family has said in the past about marriage and engagement, the boy has much more say in it than the girl. Even the girl's parents have a huge say in it. Since the oldest girl is responsible for so much around the home, I doubt that Jim Bob and Michelle are that anxious to see her out the door.

As for the boys, they are expected to start their own businesses and secure a home before marriage. The second oldest boy seems to have done at least one of those according to the show. He owns and operates a towing company.

Over at another forum people are speculating all the time about an engagement. The twin boy has not been seen on the show much, as he stayed behind at the family home vs. going to Little Rock. Add to that, the oldest girl of a family the Duggars seem to hang out with a lot was photographed recently with a ring on her left hand that may or may not be an engagement ring...who knows?

It is sad to me that the girls' only escape is marriage. And given the family's views and statements about marriage and dating, the girls will likely marry someone their father approves of and likes. That probably means they are going to marry men with similar beliefs and practices to their father...continuing the cycle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovepaydays View Post
    I never went to a church this fundamentalist, but this kind of stuff is why I started to a more mainline church.
    From what they've said, they haven't gone to a church that fundamentalist. They have church in their own home or in a vacant house on the property they own. The only time you really see them in an actual church is when they are there to speak, get an award or are traveling/visiting someone.

I've never really been a scholar of religion, but this family does fascinate me. Their interpretations of things and beliefs in things is something I just can't even imagine. I couldn't imagine living within those rules and regulations. I also couldn't imagine being one of 19, who all have names starting with the same letter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtisticFan View Post
    From what they've said, they haven't gone to a church that fundamentalist. They have church in their own home or in a vacant house on the property they own. The only time you really see them in an actual church is when they are there to speak, get an award or are traveling/visiting someone.

I've never really been a scholar of religion, but this family does fascinate me. Their interpretations of things and beliefs in things is something I just can't even imagine. I couldn't imagine living within those rules and regulations. I also couldn't imagine being one of 19, who all have names starting with the same letter.
    If you are that interested in them and their movement, read Kathryn Joyce's Quiverful

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    If you are that interested in them and their movement, read Kathryn Joyce's Quiverful
    I have read it. I did a paper on them for one of my media and religion class in grad school.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12