vCash

Miki Ando - Mendelssohn recording

Hello. Does anyone know the exact recording that Miki Ando used for her 2006-2007 season free skate? The name of the violinist and orchestra as well as the year of the recording would be helpful. I've been listening to iTunes previews of the piece and I haven't been able to identify the one that Miki skated to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 9823u982 View Post
    Hello. Does anyone know the exact recording that Miki Ando used for her 2006-2007 season free skate? The name of the violinist and orchestra as well as the year of the recording would be helpful. I've been listening to iTunes previews of the piece and I haven't been able to identify the one that Miki skated to.
    As for the music, “Violin Concerto in E miner, Op. 64, by Mendelssohn” of FS in 2006-2007 season of Miki Ando, I hear that the violinist is Nathan Milstein and the Orchestra is the Vienna Philharmonic conducted by Claudio Abbado, but I don't know whether it is exact or not.

vCash
    Thanks for the information, Akira Andrea. I bought a copy of the recording you suggested and it sounds like the one Miki skated to.

vCash
    What a coincidence, Ice Network just announced Christina Gao will be using this piece for her SP!

vCash
    I was trying to find the exact recording of Double Life and Veronique that domnina and shabalin skaterd to and it can frustrating!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    I was trying to find the exact recording of Double Life and Veronique that domnina and shabalin skaterd to and it can frustrating!
    If you have an iphone (or maybe even if not), you can just use the "Shazam" application (there are others, too), and hold it up to the computer / TV when playing their program.

It will tell you the name of the music and the album, musician, etc.

vCash
    I just bought this recording of Isaac Stern with the Philadelphia Orchestra, which is suggested by YouTube, and it sounds like the Stern recording is the recording that Miki actually used. The Milstein recording is very similar, though.

vCash
    I thought it was the one by Joshua Bell?

vCash
    Is there a way to get a definitive answer to this? I'm happy with the recordings I bought, but it would still be neat to know that I'm listening to the recording that Miki skated to. This can indeed be a frustrating hobby. I think I'll try using Audacity tomorrow to match up the waveforms.

vCash
    Here's an update: Stern's recording, when played alongside Miki's performance, matches well (for more or less 18 seconds; until Miki's music cuts to a different segment). Milstein's recording has a somewhat different tempo. Milan, do you have a copy of Joshua Bell's recording to do a similar test?