Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhianna View Post
    Maybe they're making up for movie!HBP when the Death Eaters seemingly broke in just to break a few plates and leave.
    Hundreds of sleeping children and teachers, many of whom oppose the death eaters or have parents who oppose the death eaters, and oh right, the death eaters are EVIL. But we are supposed to believe that they broke into this nearly impossible to infiltrate castle and then all they do is BREAK SOME CROCKERY? This was easily the most annoying part of that movie for me.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Maybe it was supposed to be the *good* china.

I thought the end to HBP the movie was terrible. It totally ruined Dumbledore's death. Gah. I've nearly talked myself out of seeing DH.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Maybe it was supposed to be the *good* china.

I thought the end to HBP the movie was terrible. It totally ruined Dumbledore's death. Gah.
    Totally agree - I was never so disappointed in an ending. And don't get me started on why Dumbledore didn't stun Harry while wearing the invisibility cloak, instead, Harry just stood there like like a lump while his friend and mentor was murdered.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KatieC View Post

And don't get me started on why Dumbledore didn't stun Harry while wearing the invisibility cloak, instead, Harry just stood there like like a lump while his friend and mentor was murdered.
    DON'T GET THAT AT ALL!! What a strange thing to take out - not in character and takes away the reason Harry "knows" it is true. I was squirming in my seat!

vCash
    Don't get me started on the hot mess that was HBP. On to TDH - I just re-read the whole book twice while I was in Vegas over the holiday weekend, and I don't see any way they're going to even get down to two 2.5 hour films without a lot of judicious editing - there is just so much content and so much character dialogue and action in the book. Having said that - the trailer is pretty stunning.

Am I the only one seeing a great number of parallels between Harry and Frodo in Lord Of The Rings?

1. Both are orphans
    2. A great mission is thrust upon both of them
    3. They survive numerous narrow escapes, and many friends die en route
    4. The future (good vs. evil) depends almost wholly on them
    5. Their friends strongly support and encourage them, even when they feel defeated
    6. Multiple encounters with all manner of mystical creatures and places
    7. Huge historical back story leading to the final confrontation(s)

I'm not comparing Tolkien to Rowling - two completely different writers - but I have always wondered if Rowling was indirectly inspired by Tolkien's work.
    Last edited by ebayj; 07-06-2010 at 06:42 AM.

vCash
    #8 - Mentored by an older, wiser Wizard who sacrifices himself for the child hero.
    #9 - Destroy the "one ring"/Destroy Horcruxes

You can apply most of this to Star Wars IV-VI for that matter. I suspect a good many writers have been inspired by Tolkien's work.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Who was inspired by the classic good vs. evil writers of centuries past.

The only parallel that really annoyed me was Harry wearing the damn locket.

vCash
    The only parallel that really annoyed me was Harry wearing the damn locket.
    I know, like, just put it on a table!

I read an article a while ago that said Rowling was inspired by the rise of fascism leading up to WWII - all that "pure blood" stuff.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    Hundreds of sleeping children and teachers, many of whom oppose the death eaters or have parents who oppose the death eaters, and oh right, the death eaters are EVIL. But we are supposed to believe that they broke into this nearly impossible to infiltrate castle and then all they do is BREAK SOME CROCKERY? This was easily the most annoying part of that movie for me.
    OK, not to defend David Yates whose directing I dislike but the breakage was done by Bellatrix, right? She is supposed to be uber crazy with some sexual undertones when it comes to Voldemort. So no one would expect her to act rationally, just pure (crazy) emotion.

But there is no excuse for not DD not stunning Harry. None.

Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post

I read an article a while ago that said Rowling was inspired by the rise of fascism leading up to WWII - all that "pure blood" stuff.
    And as Prancer had correctly predicted, by Christian and preceding mythologies: self-sacrifice and death to save the rest with subsequent "resurrection".
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 07-07-2010 at 01:06 AM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    OK, not to defend David Yates whose directing I dislike but the breakage was done by Bellatrix, right? She is supposed to be uber crazy with some sexual undertones when it comes to Voldemort. So no one would expect her to act rationally, just pure (crazy) emotion.
    My issue is not that they broke plates. My issue is that they didn't attempt to kill any of the children. And I don't think Bellatrix is batshit crazy in a "I've forgotten to try to kill any of these sleeping children" kind of way. But even if she is, she wasn't the only one there.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Further evidence that David Yates is clueless: he says that the DH-1 is cinéma vérité.

Director David Yates says that breaking up the novel in this way creates a sense of two distinct movies. He said, "I didn't want the two films to feel similar in tone." He describes the first part as "quite verite, quite real," while the second is "much more operatic and colorful and fantasy-oriented."
    I get what he is saying but vérité (DH-1 is more vérité than DH-2, relatively) but Harry Potter and vérité don't belong in the same sentence.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    With the last movie, I found I liked it more after the third viewing. The first two times it just ticked me off. (Which is rather pathetic really, having to waste time rewatching before finally enjoying.)

As for "operatic and colorful and fantasy-oriented" - the end is pretty much war.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KatieC View Post

As for "operatic and colorful and fantasy-oriented" - the end is pretty much war.
    I think the description is fine. It's a vividly written Wizard war, not a "Saving Private Ryan" depiction of war.

My greatest fear with DH2 is that they won't handle Snape's crucial role in the whole saga correctly. I'll be very bummed if the payoff isn't there the way it is in the books. Alan Rickman deserves to serve it up as only he can!

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    If they short change AR, I'll be screaming at the movie screen and probably ejected from the theater. And if Dobby's funeral or Kreacher's tale don't make me cry, I'll be shouting obscenities. It's a given that Fred's death should be : Hm....I better get a big box of tissues.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I just don't understand how they are going to cram 24 chapters into the 1st movie.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Meh, I know I'm not going to like it. There are things in the trailor which I don't like, so the chance of liking the whole movie is slim I might enjoy it though. I've enjoyed a couple of them...but I really, REALLY hated movie 3. The one everyone loved. Except me.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    Meh, I know I'm not going to like it. There are things in the trailor which I don't like, so the chance of liking the whole movie is slim I might enjoy it though. I've enjoyed a couple of them...but I really, REALLY hated movie 3. The one everyone loved. Except me.

I also loved the third movie. It was very different from the first two.

A few days ago, I finished re-reading the fourth book and it got me so pumped for the seventh movie! I'm so exicted!

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Oh, no. You're not alone. I despised it.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    My niece, a HUGE HP fan, hates the third movie. Of course, I've always chalked it up to her being like 12 when it came out and that it was a bit OTT for her age .

I find that my first impression of the films is different than when I go back and re-watch. Honestly, I think the only one that just blows is film 4. The last 20 minutes are good, but the rest of it is pretty useless.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I find that my first impression of the films is different than when I go back and re-watch. Honestly, I think the only one that just blows is film 4. The last 20 minutes are good, but the rest of it is pretty useless.
    Having rewatched them this summer, film four really is particularly awful. Although I still haven't warmed up to number 6. Not even a little bit.

Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast