Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    I have to re-read Deathly Hallows now...
    Me too. People keep talking about where to split this and I'm like "Crap. I read every other book multiple times each. I read this one once from 1am to 7am. I don't remember any of this stuff."

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I re-read the whole series about 2-3 months ago, so it's still relatively fresh for me
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I'm nearing the end of Book 5 right now. Definitely didn't time that one right ... I'll have to go back to the beginning right before the movie. Though, I did that for HBP and all I could think about was how worse the film was than the book.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    I'm nearing the end of Book 5 right now. Definitely didn't time that one right ... I'll have to go back to the beginning right before the movie. Though, I did that for HBP and all I could think about was how worse the film was than the book.
    I do that also. I'll read the books again (I'm up to POA) and will listen to them on audio because I love Jim Dale's narration. Then I'll mutter all through the movie. People would think I was putting a curse on the film. It's not always the stuff they leave out. I get there's a time element. It's the stupid stuff they add in when they could have put a key plot point in the movie instead. I don't want choirs directed by SNAPE of all people, or other stupid things. I want what JKR wrote.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I do that also. I'll read the books again (I'm up to POA) and will listen to them on audio because I love Jim Dale's narration. Then I'll mutter all through the movie. People would think I was putting a curse on the film. It's not always the stuff they leave out. I get there's a time element. It's the stupid stuff they add in when they could have put a key plot point in the movie instead. I don't want choirs directed by SNAPE of all people, or other stupid things. I want what JKR wrote.
    And the stuff they inexplicably leave in but CHANGE FOR NO GOOD REASON like Harry and Ginny's first kiss.

vCash
    They felt that the movies didn't earn the kind of kiss Ginny and Harry had in the books. Unless it was done comically and they didn't want that for the couple. If you watch the trailer, Ginny and Harry come together for a great kiss in the mist of battle. That didn't happen in the books. Or from what it looks likes anyway. I heard that actors added it and the director decided to keep it. I don't know if that's true or not though.

vCash
    I don't recall any choirs directed by Snape... Flitwick, yes. Well, the same actor. But not Snape. That would be ridiculous

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I dno't recommend reading the book right before seeing the film - I did that for OoTP and really didn't like the film because all the book details were so fresh in my mind. I'd like to go back and watch it (and HBP) again before Deathly Hallows comes out. I will still be pissed about how wrong wrong wrong the characterization of Umbridge is, but I think the rest of the film will be fine.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Every now and then, I listen to Muggle Cast, a podcast that's put out every few weeks (for now). I was curious to hear what they thought of the trailer because they usually review it scene by scene and give opinions on it. It was pointed out that this trailer is an overview of both films, and that perhaps the closer we get to November, they'll release a solely Part 1 trailer. And it turns out that there are quite a few scenes in the trailer that are towards the end of the book. Maybe because that's when all the action takes place.

ETA - For those interested, the following link takes you to the page where you can watch the scene by scene breakdown while they talk about it. Muggle Cast
    Last edited by nerdycool; 07-02-2010 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Added a link

...Her?
    vCash
    Though, I did that for HBP and all I could think about was how worse the film was than the book.
    I read up until the book that the newest film is based on. Like I'll read up through HBP before seeing Deathly Hallows and once I see both parts I'll reread that book. In this way I'm not completely disappointed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I am so glad I am not the only one to think so.
    Thirded, didn't like it at all.

vCash
    The trailer looks good. I've never liked the movies more than the books--and I really, really disliked the last movie because of how much they deviated from the books--but I have high hopes for this one, mainly because they've split it into two films, which will hopefully give them the time to get everything in. I'm guessing that the movie will go from the beginning and up until Godric's Hollow? That seems like the most logical place to split it, for me.

vCash
    I have to keep the movies and books separate. No movie made by other people can rival the movie that plays in my imagination when I read the books.

BTW, I always thought the final battle took place at night. Something about the preview makes me think it takes place in daytime?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KatieC View Post

BTW, I always thought the final battle took place at night. Something about the preview makes me think it takes place in daytime?

I thought it was at night too, in fact I I think book makes it clear the battle is at night. But I might be remembering wrong.

I'm still trying to figure out how Hogwarts is so utterly destroyed, because in the book Harry goes to the headmaster's office after the battle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KatieC View Post
    I'd have to go back and read it again, but the battle in the book is quite long. I think it starts at night, but I always got the sense that by the time the presumed-dead Harry is brought out of the woods by Voldemort, daylight is breaking. But I don't know why I'm thinking that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out how Hogwarts is so utterly destroyed, because in the book Harry goes to the headmaster's office after the battle.
    It's clearly not utterly destroyed in the clip. Hogwarts has always been shown to be a huge place. While the battle surely leveled part of the school, several areas were not breached in the book or in the preview clip - and that likely means Dumbledore's office remains intact.

vCash
    Wow - I am so looking forwards to this - I just hope it isn't as big a disapointment as HBP was to me. (though please ensure we get lots of Alan Rickman - I just love him!!)

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorac View Post
    Wow - I am so looking forwards to this - I just hope it isn't as big a disapointment as HBP was to me. (though please ensure we get lots of Alan Rickman - I just love him!!)
    Frankly, Alan Rickman is the best part of the movies. Brilliant casting. He is Snape. I just wish Ian McKellen could have played Dumbledore even if the inevitable Gandalf comparisons would have been made. Michael Gambon has never managed to capture the humor of Dumbledore and he makes him too weird. Richard Harris was OK, but McKellen would have been better.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    It's clearly not utterly destroyed in the clip. Hogwarts has always been shown to be a huge place. While the battle surely leveled part of the school, several areas were not breached in the book or in the preview clip - and that likely means Dumbledore's office remains intact.

It shows the outer courtyard as destroyed, which is much more destroyed than I pictured from the book. I pictured Hogwarts as damaged but no where near the level it seems to be showing.

...Her?
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    It shows the outer courtyard as destroyed, which is much more destroyed than I pictured from the book. I pictured Hogwarts as damaged but no where near the level it seems to be showing.
    Maybe they're making up for movie!HBP when the Death Eaters seemingly broke in just to break a few plates and leave.

Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast