Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Wow, that short program. Thank you for reminding me of this.

I remember being totally blown away by it, I wasn't expecting it at all.

vCash
    I remember watching her when I was a kid. I really looked up to her because she was skating still at 26+, I thought that was so amazing because my coaches would tell me I'd never do triple jumps because I started so late ( I prooved them wrong btw ha ). Maria was my proof you could still skate when you're older. I just love her for never giving up. And of course she was so gorgeous I wanted to look like her. Does anyone know if she still skates or coaches. It'd be such a shame if she didn't.

I actually got to see her skate live and took a bunch of pics. Unfortunately I was in the nose bleed seats so the photos didn't turn out so good lol.
    Last edited by DickButtonFan; 06-30-2010 at 07:15 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    Does anyone know if she still skates or coaches.
    She coaches Emma Hagieva who is a Russian skater representing Azerbeijan and has been with her at 2009 Nebelhorn Trophy.

She looked really rough, with massive roots, and we could not believe it was actually her, until we made a picture and took a close up.

Oh Maria!

I would imagine she must have a lot of younger students who aren't competetive internationally yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    She coaches Emma Hagieva who is a Russian skater representing Azerbeijan and has been with her at 2009 Nebelhorn Trophy.

She looked really rough, with massive roots, and we could not believe it was actually her, until we made a picture and took a close up.

Oh Maria!

I would imagine she must have a lot of younger students who aren't competetive internationally yet.
    Good to know she is coaching. Yeah she looks like maybe she was trying to grow her hair out there. Maybe she didn't want to damage her hair from the dye? I noticed back when she was 20 something she was starting to lose her hair it's too bad but it's just part of the aging process plus she had a baby.

vCash
    Sorry for the late one.Happy birthday,Maria!One of my favourite skaters 4ever!

vCash
    Looking back at Maria's career there are 2 things I wonder:

1. If she had won the Olympic bronze in 1998 would she have been content turning pro after 1999 or 2000 and have had a much better pro career than she ended up having?

2. If she had skated better in the LP and defended her World title in 2000, making her a back to back World Champion, would she have been more of a force and threat heading into the 2002 Olympics than she ended up being?

vCash
    3. If judges hadn't been marking her unfairly all the way through her career, wouldn't she have been much more of a threat than she was?

(Rhetorical question )

Honestly, placing her SP below Kwan (huge cheat on 3flip and slight flutz) and Hughes (don't even get me started on that joke of a skater) at 2002 Olympics was just beyond .

vCash
    Belated happy birthday Maria. One of my all time favourite skaters. She had many great performances.

Winning worlds in 1999
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7r3F...eature=related

1998 Olympics Short
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7RkX...eature=related

2001 Worlds
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUYXt...eature=related

I thought she was robbed in the SLC short programme. It would be great to see her students have success on the international stage in the future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    3. If judges hadn't been marking her unfairly all the way through her career, wouldn't she have been much more of a threat than she was?

(Rhetorical question )

Honestly, placing her SP below Kwan (huge cheat on 3flip and slight flutz) and Hughes (don't even get me started on that joke of a skater) at 2002 Olympics was just beyond .
    Unfortunately her 2002 Olympics SP was not one of her best. I did think she was undermarked all the same but it also wasnt a great performance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Unfortunately her 2002 Olympics SP was not one of her best. I did think she was undermarked all the same but it also wasnt a great performance.
    On top of the bland music, Butyrskaya chose to do her two worst elements to close to program, and with no speed at all: a circular spiral sequence that really didn't do any favors for her lack of flexibility (something she was able to mask in other programs with different patterns), and the layback spin. I was obviously a huge Maria fan, but this short program was 1000 times worse than her three prior programs (Fever, St. James Infirmary, and Scene d'Amour).

In any event, she should have beaten Hughes. Then again, Sebestyen, Suguri, Robinson, Meier, and Gusmeroli all might have also deserved to beat Sarah.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy void View Post
    And I don't care what anyone says, this is the best ladies short program since Baiul's 1994 SP.
    Amazing performance. I dreamed with this SP.
    But this is the first time I hear about the story of the finger !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Amazing performance. I dreamed with this SP.
    But this is the first time I hear about the story of the finger !
    It's funny how some things stick with you, I guess, but I remember articles right after the short program finished where Maria said that she was afraid the blood was going to distract her throughout her performance. That gave her something else to be nervous about besides the skating, and it worked

vCash
    Happy Birthday Maria

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12