vCash

2000 Olympics- Women's All-Around Medals

I know that Romania swept the podium in these games and then Andrea Raducan was stripped of her AA Gold because of the illegal cold medicine she took before the competition. I also remember reading that the gold medal was offered to Simona Amanar and she refused it because she knew she didn't earn the gold, but the silver.

I just checked Wikipedia and it has Simona Amanar as the champion, Maria Olaru as the silver medalist, and Liu Xuan as the bronze medalist. Were the medals switched around like that? I don't ever remember reading an article that said everyone was moved one place higher because Raducan was stripped of the title. I know Wikipedia isn't the most reliable source, just making sure I didn't miss anything. Anyone know about this?

vCash
    I've always been a bit confused about this as well. I'm 99% sure that Liu Xuan actually physically has the bronze medal. I don't know about Amanar though, like you said, she refused it.

vCash
    With a little more research I was able to find out that the medals and places were switched around. Amanar initially refused the gold medal but on the advice of Octavian Belu and Raducan's father she accepted the gold medal so that it would come home to Romania no matter what. However, Simona Amanar stated that she returned the gold medal to Raducan upon returning to Romania because she knew it was rightfully hers. Also, Olaru and Xuan refused their medals at first too and changed their minds, but all 3 of them absolutely refused to have a formal medal ceremony.

This situation is so sad. The whole 2000 Olympics for the women was just drama and unfortunate circumstances. Andreea wasn't the best gymnast but she had something about her that made you like her and she had no idea the cold pill had an illegal substance in it. Now that drug is legal and the IOC STILL refuses to reinstate Raducan as the champion.

vCash
    Raducan wasnt the best gymnast in the sense that her bars was so bad it would have prevented her from winning the AA if some of the other favorites had hit, especialy Khorkina. However it could be argued in another way she was the best. If she had been in beam finals and hit her best routine and hit in floor finals she would have won both. She was the best in the World at both events at the time. On vault she was even capable of winning and nearly did (coming 2nd). So other than possibly Zamo she was better than all the other top gymnasts on 3 of the 4 events, and in the case of her teammates probably all 4. And Zamos bars IMO was completely unimpressive and should have scored no higher than Raducan, while her beam was also overmarked, but that is another topic altogether.

vCash
    WAG @ Sydney.

vCash
    I seem to also recall reading that Amanar gave the gold back to Raducan, and Olaru gave the silver back to Amanar. So if Xuan has the bronze, does that mean Olaru actually has nothing?

vCash
    Poor Olaru

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I seem to also recall reading that Amanar gave the gold back to Raducan, and Olaru gave the silver back to Amanar. So if Xuan has the bronze, does that mean Olaru actually has nothing?
    LOL god knows. It's all such a mess. Potentially Liu Xuan has given back TWO Olympic bronze medals. Poor love. At least she still has her gold.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Sudafed cost Raducan the OGM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiss My 1040 View Post
    Poor Olaru
    Considering her bars should have gotten something like a 9.2 it sounds like the womens AA podium has been set in its proper place with Raducan getting back her gold, Amanar back her silver, and Xuan keeping the bronze. Well apart from any of the chaos caused by the vault for Khorkina we can only speculate on (the other big players all cost themselves with falls or miscues on other apparatus, not the vault).

vCash
    If only Yang Yun hadn't cocked her BB up. I think she was better than any of them IMO. Oh but wait, was she the one who was about 8?

vCash
    The rumours are that Yang Yung was underaged too. I have read that many times. I doubt she will be ever found out or lose her bars bronze from Sydney though, and even if she does isnt it too late now.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I'm sure that after loosing that team medal, China has double checked all its tracks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    The rumours are that Yang Yung was underaged too. I have read that many times. I doubt she will be ever found out or lose her bars bronze from Sydney though, and even if she does isnt it too late now.

Yang Yun is yang wei's wife. This is the interview where the commentator suggest that she is 14 years old( 1:48) and she herself at 3:43.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx1u7oJPqSE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    Yang Yun is yang wei's wife. This is the interview where the commentator suggest that she is 14 years old( 1:48) and she herself at 3:43.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx1u7oJPqSE
    Interesting. Thanks for that. So why has nothing been done with regards to her? Is it too late.

At the time I was sad she didnt come through in the AA, and to a lesser degree Dong. Especialy as Liu Xuan ended up getting an AA medal for China after the chaos cleared, and Xuan isnt as strong an AA gymnast as either YY, DF, or the injured KY. Now I am relieved she didnt do anymore in Sydney than she did.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Interesting. Thanks for that. So why has nothing been done with regards to her? Is it too late.

At the time I was sad she didnt come through in the AA, and to a lesser degree Dong. Especialy as Liu Xuan ended up getting an AA medal for China after the chaos cleared, and Xuan isnt as strong an AA gymnast as either YY, DF, or the injured KY. Now I am relieved she didnt do anymore in Sydney than she did.

i think she said she made a mistake while giving the interview or something... insufficient evidence was given as the reason by the IOC and FiG in dropping the investigation against her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    i think she said she made a mistake while giving the interview or something... insufficient evidence was given as the reason by the IOC and FiG in dropping the investigation against her.
    I can understand that but this is already sufficient reason I am not willing to give her the benefit of doubt as much as I enjoyed her gymnastics in 2000.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post

That is what I recall reading. Olaru was left with no AA medal, but she said she didn't care too much because it wound up being a bad memory after her teammate was accused.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.