Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elfenblüte View Post
    I would love a SD with this song! It is sooo beautiful!! <3
    Me too... even though Aliya Mustafina (Russian gymnast) has reduced some of her choreography from last year she still has an enjoyable program to Hijo de la Luna.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twizzler View Post
    It's my understanding that the ISU is encouraging more "popular" music to fall along the lines of what "Dancing With the Stars" and "So You Think You Can Dance" are doing.

Here's hoping for some interesting variety.
    So could some couple use Take the A Train, say? A music student once told me A Train is a waltz [even thought it doesnt sound like one to me.] That might make an interesting and jazzy number.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by literaryfreak View Post
    I've never liked the DWTS format so the idea that the ISU would like the Short Dance to be similar to it is a bit revolting to me (is there a vomit icon?). I guess it will all depend on what music skaters choose. If there are top 40 hits involved...
    Just curious. What is it you find so revolting?

vCash
    I've always wanted to see an ice dance program to Viktor Gavrilin's waltz from the ballet Anyuta. I seem to remember that 2 Russian junior girls skated to it last year or the year before... but their choreography didn't impress me. Because the dance could be so beautiful and charming!

Here's Ekaterina Maximova and Vladmir Vasiliev dancing their (legendary) version:
    Waltz from Anyuta

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by altai_rose View Post
    I've always wanted to see an ice dance program to Viktor Gavrilin's waltz from the ballet Anyuta.
    Here's Ekaterina Maximova and Vladmir Vasiliev dancing their (legendary) version:
    Waltz from Anyuta
    It's a very pretty melody, and as music I like it, but I am hoping to see some programs with a little more PoV and artistic/emotional input that rises above being just another lilting, ballroom waltz - or for me the SD will be a snoozefest.

I also wasnt impressed with that DWTS clip - to me it was two people dancing not all that gracefully to music that didnt suit their movements all that well, with no connection at all between them and some very insipid choreography to boot. I am certainly hoping for something better than that from the ice dancers.

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Conga View Post
    Just curious. What is it you find so revolting?
    I don't find the idea of waltzes done to Vanessa Carlton (as in the clip Doris posted) to be all that appealing, even though I don't mind Vanessa Carlton and used to listen to her music when I was younger. The whole "using popular music" thing seems like pandering to increase viewership.

It could be done cleverly with interesting pieces of music...but I could also see it turning out terribly if people use cheap pop hits.

vCash
    I just want to say that I didn't like the clip either-but if the ISU has mentioned that they like the DWTS format, that's how the format works out with the Viennese waltz-so that's why I gave the link.

They want some pop sung remastered to have a clear waltz beat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    I just want to say that I didn't like the clip either-but if the ISU has mentioned that they like the DWTS format, that's how the format works out with the Viennese waltz-so that's why I gave the link.
    Oh, I was assuming you didn't like the clip too (since you didn't comment on it ) and that you were posting it purely for information sake, and also as an opposite extreme to shan's. I probably shouldn't have assumed that without mentioning it but it turns out I was right .

They want some pop sung remastered to have a clear waltz beat.
    Yeah, this is what makes me want to . If skaters pick thoughtful, interesting music, it might not be so bad. The one bright side to CDs disappearing is that we won't have to listen to the same old 5 tracks on repeat. The GW tracks were doubly for me.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    I guess it will all depend on what music skaters choose. If there are top 40 hits involved...
    Well, I guess I can say that I feel the same way about the top 40 SKATING hits ...Carmen, etc, etc, etc.

vCash

Yeah, this is what makes me want to . If skaters pick thoughtful, interesting music, it might not be so bad. The one bright side to CDs disappearing is that we won't have to listen to the same old 5 tracks on repeat. The GW tracks were doubly for me.
    Don't say I'm the only one who listens to the Yankee Polka CD tracks for fun! Love them!

I also quite liked the Finnstep tracks...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    Don't say I'm the only one who listens to the Yankee Polka CD tracks for fun! Love them!

Quote Originally Posted by Nmsis View Post
    Hijo de la luna by Mecano

I love this one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    I'm sure this is what the ISU had in mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YUJ9...eature=related

being infected by Radionova's obvious joy for skating
    vCash

Wheeeeeeeeee
    Rockin' Finnish commentator: "And that was supposed to be a flip but it turned out to be a flop."

vCash

The Yankee Polka ones and even some of the tangos I love (is there a CD with music from the compulsory dance available?). It's the waltz ones I can't stand...especially early in the morning. At any rate, more than 5 tracks per compulsory dance would be nicer on the ears.

vCash
    Hijo de la Luna is lovely. One of the most beautiful fast (ballroom viennese tempo) waltzes is the Embassy Waltz from the movie version of My Fair Lady. I could only find the whole scene on youtube, with the waltz itself near the end, when the prince asks Eliza to dance. Hmm--it's followed by a tango in that scene!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cmaC...ext=1&index=18

vCash
    I just watched the most incredible movie on TCM - The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T, a fantasy/musical based on a Dr. Seuss book about a tyrannical piano teacher and a little boy trapped in his crazy castle.

Great music, with all kinds of dances (a waltz, a hoe down, a latin dance), there's even a dance on roller skates. The music goes from classical to comic - it's really funny, with good songs and hilarious costumes.

The movie's from the 1950s, but it looks like the future according to Tim Burton. It appears there was a recent, c. 2002, Broadway revival, so there must be a CD of the score as well as the movie to look at.

vCash
    I also posted this in the 2010/11 Program Thread in GSD, but Isabella Cannuscio and Ian Lorello [J4 from 2010 U.S. Nationals] are using Billy Joel's "Piano Man" for their Short Dance this year. They are slated to compete at Cup of China in November.

vCash
    I've always loved Winter Waltz by Jim Brickman featuring David Klinkenberg. I don't know if the timing would work for the short dance, but I think its beautiful!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12