vCash

Help Restoring Files in Word

I have two files in Word 97-2003 that seem to have been corrupted. When I try to open them I get the "convert file" box and a preview that just shows a bunch of little squares in place of the characters. All the other files that were created by the same version of Word and saved in the same places are fine - it's just these two files that are wonky.

I tried the fixes suggested by Word Help (I'm now in Word 2007) which were basically to save the file in a bunch of different formats (.rtf, .html, and .txt) and then try reopening Word and reopening those files. Nothing worked. Then I tried using the Open and Restore function in Word 2007 and got the "convert file" box again, with the little squares.

This is a text files without any graphics, or appendices, or complicated formatting or anything like that.

Do any of FSU's techy types have any suggestions as to what else I can do? Thanks for any/all suggestions.
    We live in an ageist society where everything is based on youth, but I hated being 18. I don't like teenagers any more now than I did then. I'm 49 now and there is no way that I'd go back to my teens and 20s - even if I knew what I know now, I don't want to go through all that again. I found it a very difficult time. - Buzz Osborne of the Melvins

vCash
    Does it open okay in Wordpad? If so, it's a sign that the conversion system in your 2007 installation is screwed up.

vCash
    If you can do a save as and save the file to your desktop, you might be able to open it with a right click, and "open with".

I have run into that problem (with the little squares) when I have tried to convert files to pdf.....basically it is a mess.

Good luck.

If you have a hard copy...re-type.
    DH - and that's just my opinion