Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I convince myself that they wash the sheets and towels in boiling hot water with some bleach (that's why they are always white ). So, in my mind any germs are killed. But, then they are handled with hands that are likely not washed between rooms, so... but, if I think about that, I will never leave home .

I too have seen the "green" signs in hotels for at least the last 10 years, it's nothing new. And I want to know what hotels the author of the article stays in that changes the sheets every day. I always thought protocol was every 3 days, unless you are staying for less than 3 days (). And even 3 days is more than necessary.
    I like to bring my own pillowcases and first thing that happens when I get into the room is remove those comforters into a corner or stash them into the closet. I don't worry so much about the ones w/ duvets because I would like to think those are getting washed with the sheets.
    You are right though, you can't think of everything or you would never leave the house and we do like to travel!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    I was told at a hotel in New Jersey that it's state law for housecleaning to come in at least every two days in order to ensure that nothing illegal was occurring, e.g. a temporary meth lab hadn't been set up. Maybe they thought I looked like I was up to no good...
    LOL! I have seen this rule in some military temporary lodging, but for the most part most housekeeping staff seem to appreciate one less room to take care of, the only ones that I noticed that seemed to be a bit put off were German staff because they take their cleaning so seriously and don't like anyone to mess with their efficient order of doing things.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I don't mind not getting clean sheets every day but I do mind about the towels when I'm staying with my family. I really don't want to have to remember who used what towel and there aren't really enough racks to hang 4 towels out to dry and have them actually dry. Wet towels the next day are disgusting!
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I don't like having hotel staff come through my room anyway, so I'm all for it.
    Same here. Plus they often start at 7-8am. I'm either still in bed or getting ready to go out, and I don't need strangers in my room to slow me down and get in my way.

This germophobe will not hang a towel over the toilet or shower rod and then use it !
    I could understand the toilet (although you can close the toilet seat when you flush... which as a germophobe you should be doing it anyway), but why the shower rod? You could wipe it clean first if you think it's so dirty.

As far as cleaning - I never unpack.
    I don't either. I hate packing/unpacking and I would probably forget something.

Zhenya271, I hear ya! I just bring antibacterial wipes and wipe down what I need to - toilet seat, faucet handles... I get a little even about clean towels, I know that housekeeping does not wash their hands before they handle them, and they are cleaning all of the bathrooms. So, I have to mentally cope !
    If you're so afraid of germs and other things, how do you deal with the bed? The sheets may be clean, but there's other people's sweat, among other things, in the mattress.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I don't mind not getting clean sheets every day but I do mind about the towels when I'm staying with my family. I really don't want to have to remember who used what towel and there aren't really enough racks to hang 4 towels out to dry and have them actually dry. Wet towels the next day are disgusting!
    ITA. I don't care about having clean sheets every day and I don't need the room cleaned if it was clean when I checked in; we're not very messy.

But I HATE getting up to shower and having all the towels wet. It's not a problem if I travel alone or just with my husband, but all four of us? Ugh.

Otherwise, I don't care if I ever have housekeeping service in a hotel as long as the room is clean when I check in.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    If you're so afraid of germs and other things, how do you deal with the bed? The sheets may be clean, but there's other people's sweat, among other things, in the mattress.
    You probably just made several people cancel their vacation plans with that sentence.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deltask8er View Post
    Which probably means the hotel is understaffed and/or mismanaged.
    Not necessarily. I worked at a hotel one summer and was at the logistics that go into it. The hotel had around 400 rooms, and was usually between 80-90% occupied, though being 100% full was not unusual.

On the week-ends, especially Sunday, I'd say around 70% left between 11:00 and 12:00, the check-out time, and very rarely would anyone leave before 8am. The cleaning staff typically didn't come in till ten, because it would be useless and inefficient to bring in cleaning staff for the three people that checked out early and then pay them to twiddle their thumbs, and generally, people don't like to be told, come in, leave for two hours, and then come back.

Then, the housekeeping has to clean up to 400 rooms in three hours--I don't care if you had an army of maids, it would be nearly impossible to do that in three hours (check-in time). And only if the rooms didn't require anything more than basic clean-up. It's amazing the damage people can do in one night! And if you did hire one maid for every two or three rooms, the cost passed onto the guest would be astronomical.

My manager had been in hotels long enough to remember when you typically had to check out by 9am, and the rooms--all of them--were ready by 3. That's a reasonable expectation. People complained about wanting to sleep in, and hotels listened...and now they have to hear complaints on the back-end of those checking-in. Don't even get me started on guests that get there early and are peeved about waiting for rooms.

As for the original keeping green of the hotel, I'm sort of bad about that. I think it's a good thing, no matter what the actual reason, but if I'm paying over $120 per night, whether they clean my sheets every day or not which is the case in most hotel/hotel chains, damnit, I want clean sheets every day. If I'm going to pay luxury prices, I want luxury service. If I'm staying somewhere that's lower in cost anyway, I don't expect clean sheets/new towels every day.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    $120/night is 'luxury'????
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    I don't think I've ever stayed anywhere that has changed the sheets daily.. and I've stayed at some pretty decent hotels. I'm with the majority of you guys.. I don't change my own sheets everyday, and it's just me sleeping in them. Why do I need them changed everyday at a hotel? As long as they're clean when I get in them the first night that's all I really care about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    Same here. Plus they often start at 7-8am. I'm either still in bed or getting ready to go out, and I don't need strangers in my room to slow me down and get in my way.

I could understand the toilet (although you can close the toilet seat when you flush... which as a germophobe you should be doing it anyway), but why the shower rod? You could wipe it clean first if you think it's so dirty.
    Nah, don't want to touch it. And would never have to. And as I said, I don't like the smell of damp towels, I even wash my own every time.

I don't either. I hate packing/unpacking and I would probably forget something.
    But I don't unpack because I don't want anyone touching my stuff .

I understand that on an intellectual level. And for years I could not stay in hotels because I understand that and I am OCD about germs. I have managed to put some of the phobia away (so to speak). There are a few things that still bother me, but I compensate because I like to travel.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    $120/night is 'luxury'????
    Luxury is relative to your income, so yes, for me, $120/night is luxury.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdycool View Post
    It actually makes sense. Like it says in the article, it's absurd for me to demand new sheets every day. I don't change my sheets at home that often, so I don't need them on the road. Same goes for towels, though if there's a pool at the hotel, replacements for those are necessary.
    Demand? One of the things I really enjoy (in life) are clean sheets and towels.
    When I am paying hundreds of dollars a night for a hotel room, that is part of what I purchase. And a big part of what I enjoy on my vacation.

If there is a pool at the hotel, btw, I never think the bath towel should go down there. If I am on vacation....let's say a great resort in the Bahamas, I would expect (in fact I would check before I booked) about the pool services...the pool guy in the cabana...ready with wonderful huge towels........and right behind him, the cute waiter with the drinks.
    I don't think people should feel guilty for using or expecting the services they expected when the booked the vacation.

I also expect working elevators (which the Marriott did NOT have at Worlds last year), lots of hot water, powerful water pressure, etc, etc.,

DH - and that's just my opinion

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    On the west coast and in Las Vegas, it is fairly customary for hotels to provide a sign in the bathroom that urges people to save water by hanging their towels. If the towels are hung up when housekeeping comes through, they will not be replaced.
    When I used to travel for work in Las Vegas, Colorado, and California, there were signs next to the sink to ask people not to run the faucet if they didn't have to, to save water. (Like not running water while brushing your teeth.)

Quote Originally Posted by silverstars View Post
    I don't really understand why people aren't "buying" the green excuse. I'm not saying that that's the only reason why hotels are doing this--money is obviously a huge incentive--but by not washing linens every day, they're saving a massive amount of water and putting less chemicals from soaps and detergents into the ground.
    I've seen those signs for a decade traveling extensively for business and pleasure, and most of the time, I've hung up my towels back up on the towel rack or shower curtain rod, but only at two hotels -- last week in San Francisco and at one hotel in India -- did they not replace the towels with new ones. It made me crazy. In my favorite hotel in Barcelona, there were no signs, but they understood that over the shower curtain bar meant "We'll use them again."
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    This is funny.. whenever we tell people that there isn't daily housekeeping most of them say "oh we don't need that anyway.." and are perfectly happy with that. I've never had anyone kick up a big fuss.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    As for the original keeping green of the hotel, I'm sort of bad about that. I think it's a good thing, no matter what the actual reason, but if I'm paying over $120 per night, whether they clean my sheets every day or not which is the case in most hotel/hotel chains, damnit, I want clean sheets every day.
    I don't think of sheets slept on for one night as 'dirty'. If I stayed in a luxury hotel (which would be more than $120 per night in many parts of the world) I would expect the sheets to be of very fine quality, but would not expect or want them changed every day - would seem like a real waste of time and energy.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy View Post
    You probably just made several people cancel their vacation plans with that sentence.
    And WindSpirit was being very kind and generic about her descriptions

As my sister said the other day (although I can't for the life of me remember why this came up), never ever bring a blacklight into a hotel room, unless you're looking for a reason to NEVER stay in any hotel again.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I strongly suggest that none of you germophobes ever take microbiology and pathology.

OTOH, maybe you should.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Bath towels, yes, they get washed after every use. I can't stand the smell of towels that stay damp. Hand towels, no, they get used for a day or two. But the hand towels are on a towel rod and they dry. I have no place to let the bath towels dry adequately.
    What a waste of water. And the back of any door in your house will have adequate space for a towel rod.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    What a waste of water. And the back of any door in your house will have adequate space for a towel rod.
    While I agree it's a waste (but whatcha gonna do with OCD?) my bathroom door is a pocket door - no way to put a towel rod on that. I have hooks in the bathroom to hang towels, even in this Florida humidity they dry just fine.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    Don't even get me started on guests that get there early and are peeved about waiting for rooms.

Not that guests should get snotty, but sometimes guests can't help getting to a hotel early. If you are flying from the US, internationally, it would not be unusual to get to your hotel at 9:00/10:00 am. The hotels will store your luggage for you, so that you can go out and do something. But, often people are very tired after flying a long time and the time change, so it's not ideal. They might want to wash up and/or change their clothes (especially if there is a temperature difference). It can't be helped that the rooms are not ready that early, but it also can't be helped that some travelers arrive early. Patience and understanding are the rule .
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    When I used to travel for work in Las Vegas, Colorado, and California, there were signs next to the sink to ask people not to run the faucet if they didn't have to, to save water. (Like not running water while brushing your teeth.)
    I find that those signs go up in places where and when they are experiencing drought.

Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    It's not a waste. I don't just wash one or two towels. I wash 8/10 at a time. They are not that dirty, so they don't need a heavy cycle. Am I supposed to have towels draped all over the doors in my home? My husband occasionally puts the towels over the doorknob in the master bathroom. Because we have no windows that open in that bathroom and the fan is not vented properly, there is virtually no ventilation. Anything that you drape a towel over gets mildewed. And the towels don't dry, and they smell funky.

So, no, I do not feel I am wasting anything. I don't run the dishwasher unless it is completely full, I don't run the washing machine unless it's a full load. I take quick showers, and don't leave water running. I turn lights off, I don't run the AC unless it is unbearably hot. There are lots of ways to be wasteful, I'm sure there are things everyone does that others would consider wasteful.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast