Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by azskatefan View Post
    I think this is all pointless garbage. It's sad we live in a society with such double standards. A society where someone can make a remark that truly does or could make you question someone. But someone can't joke around about something that anyone with a brain knows is not true. And also, I think it's so tacky that people who are outraged about this tweet things 100 times worse to Evan, his agent, etc. They even attacked the company that does Evan and Johnny's websites! So much that Tara Modlin saw it and had to step in. People are so hateful these days. We take ourselves away to seriously.

I long for the days when Johnny made headlines only for brilliant Johnny things. Not for this crap...
    Seriously. It seemed like something you would hear in grammar school. Johnny and Evan don't seem to have a problem with teasing each other about their sexuality (although it is immature), so I have no idea why everyone else got so up in arms over it. People do take themselves too seriously.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quiqie View Post
    This is the whole message:
    What I was trying to say earlier was that those TWO messages together were the whole message (and not just the one you posted).

Quote Originally Posted by quiqie View Post
    Just for information, the way Twitter works is such that only messages of the account owner appear on their page.
    Oh, that was not the way with Lysacek´s account, other messages appeared there as well. Do you really believe that hackering Twitter is impossible, LOL, considering that hackers have hacked e.g. Pentagon?

Quote Originally Posted by REO View Post
    Poor Evan is always apologizing to Johnny.
    Yeah, it may sound odd to some people, but lots of people have been brought up in that way, to apologize even if they self have not done anything wrong.
    Last edited by Jaana; 08-10-2010 at 08:48 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    What I was trying to say earlier was that those TWO messages together were the whole message (and not just the one you posted).
    If you look once more at the both messages, you will see that the one I posted is the full version, created with Twitlonger which allows to post messages exceeding 140 characters. So I don't really see the point of posting the other one which breaks in the middle.

Oh, that was not the way with Lysacek´s account, other messages appeared there as well. Do you really believe that hackering Twitter is impossible, LOL, considering that hackers have hacked e.g. Pentagon?
    I believe it's possible, it's just not the case here.

And by the way, as you said
    Anyway, maybe Lysacek will choose his Twitter account to be such than only his messages appear on his page (if that is possible?), plus maybe those who he can trust.
    you probably know Twitter accounts that are hacker-proof guarantee, maybe Pentagon could also use those
    Last edited by quiqie; 08-10-2010 at 10:13 AM.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Who cares? If Johnny can imply that Evan is gay, on several occasions (Chelsea Lately, the remark about Tanith), I don't know why we expect him not to call Johnny a girl (which, really, he didn't anyway). Also, how would anyone take that seriously? Obviously Evan knows Johnny is a man since they compete in men's figure skating. Anyone who has seen Johnny in one of his onesies also gets a pretty vivid image that he's not a woman. (TMI? Sorry, his costume was so distracting in a recent exhibition.)
    I say this as a huge fan of both Johnny and Evan..Both of them have sad things that they shouldn't have..The "wink", Tanith...and Evan's comment re: Johnny and SOI..

I love them both and I wish that they would both just stop commenting about the other..Their paths are bound to cross in the future..in fact I'd love to see both of them in a show or tour...So shhhhh...guys..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    ... I love them both and I wish that they would both just stop commenting about the other..Their paths are bound to cross in the future..in fact I'd love to see both of them in a show or tour...So shhhhh...guys..
    If they were both in a show/tour, then their comments on the other (even if not really made by either of them) would probably be quadrupled for publicity purposes.

vCash
    Personally, I thought the "verdict is still out" response was pretty diplomatic given the nature of the question. Admittedly the politically correct response would have been to ignore the question altogether. But given the photos we've seen of Johnny lately, I found the reply particularly apt.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

vCash
    aymkjb88, thanks for all your work on this thread! Much appreciated!
    Amen!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    Personally, I thought the "verdict is still out" response was pretty diplomatic given the nature of the question. Admittedly the politically correct response would have been to ignore the question altogether. But given the photos we've seen of Johnny lately, I found the reply particularly apt.
    I am also rather impressed by this witty response. I didn't think the Lysacek had it in him.

And speaking as a female - I have no idea why it's such an insult to be called feminine or effeminate - I for one have been a woman for 25 years and am doing just fine. It's only an insult if you consider being feminine or acting in a feminine way to be shameful and wrong. And the Lysacek said no such thing, he just stated that to him Johnny's behaviour / attire seems to fit both gender roles. Just an opinion, expressed in a witty one-liner! I don't have to share it or Lysacek's definition of the two genders (but I can still laugh about it).

Of course he is trying to retract the statement or talk himself out of it now - what would you do if you had that kind of response on twitter / facebook / the net in general? I probably would destroy my entire Internetpersona.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gil-Galad View Post

And speaking as a female - I have no idea why it's such an insult to be called feminine or effeminate - I for one have been a woman for 25 years and am doing just fine. It's only an insult if you consider being feminine or acting in a feminine way to be shameful and wrong.
    are you serious? of course someone like johnny wouldn't mind nor find "femininity" offensive. but evan and a lot of society at large obviously DOES finds femininity in a man to be an insult and anyone with half a brain would know that, growing up in this world.
    questioning someone's gender (knowing they are biologically male) just cos they aren't "super macho" like evan is never acceptable. if johnny and his friends want to joke around or refer to himself as a woman, it obviously carries no negative connotation, evan's comment obviously did, simple as that.

anyone with an inkling of social awareness knows that questioning a man's "malehood" is pretty much the highest offense in our society to the general super-macho hetero crowd. surveys have shown guys think the worst insult is "faggot". which says a lot about sexism in our society and how women are viewed in relation to men (women can wear pants and are often accused of masculinizing themselves to gain more respect in powerful positions like CEO of a company or political office, but if a man dresses or acts like a woman, it's "degrading"). misogyny and homophobia go hand in hand, what a shock. evan's comment thus not only has serious sexist but also homophobic/transphobic connotations

I assume when you see bullies attacking a boy in the playground for acting like a girl you'd say "don't be silly, you should be proud! they're giving you a compliment!

Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    people like you are the reason why children still get shit and beat up in high schools. because it's all just a bunch of "light teasing" eh?

you realize that out of the hundreds of tweets that evan gets, he chose to respond to that one? after knowing the history of everything that has happened between them? as far as I knew things had cooled down between them for awhile. why the hell drag it out again?

and I can't believe ppl with the "double standard" crap. in the past when johnny and evan were throwing barbs at each other has the response from fans and anti-fans been this bad? ever stop to think it's because evan's comment goes a lot further than insulting just an individual and crossing over into offending an entire community??! what, evan fans don't know how to troll back? implying someone is gay is not offensive unless you're homophobic especially when it's coming from someone who all but came out. evan's tweet implied that he subscribes to a very ignorant kind of thinking which would obviously disappoint a lot of his fans, especially those who are lgbt or allies/friends of that community. it's pretty damn well near enough to calling johnny a "faggot" and if you can't see how that's different from johnny implying evan's gay with a wink you have serious issues. obviously from johnny's standpoint being gay has no negative connotation, for one.

yes this is all pretty frigging trivial. so are internet forums in general dedicated to following celebrities. trivial is relative, what's ur frigging point. it's trivial what celebs like evan tweet about yet fans still hang onto every word. he's held to different standards as a celebrity. it's quite presumptuous to police how ppl should be reacting to things when it has social implications as well
    Last edited by iarispiralllyof; 08-10-2010 at 06:51 PM.

vCash
    and for the record, I accepted evan's apology and moved on. my enraged comment is a response to some of you that think "trivial" comments like these are so harmless. this is the type of enabling that starts from trivial things like "harmless" name calling but snowballs into hate crimes and suicides.

recently a 20 year old man murdered his 17-month old stepson because he was acting "too girly" and he wanted to toughen him up. by punching him.

obviously evan's no baby killer but you must admit he does subscribe to similar ideals when it comes to gender norms, no? oh don't tell me, punching is going too far but teasing's ok right?
    Last edited by iarispiralllyof; 08-10-2010 at 06:57 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    obviously evan's no baby killer but you must admit h e does subscribe to similar ideals as this murderous douche when it comes to gender norms, no? oh don't tell me, punching is going too far but teasing's ok right?
    I think you need to step back and look at the situation for what it really is. Based on things that Johnny and Evan have both tweeted about themselves and each other, I really think this has been blown out of the water.

vCash
    I think you need to step back and look at the situation for what it really is. Based on things that Johnny and Evan have both tweeted about themselves and each other, I really think this has been blown out of the water.
    I think that overall in the grand scheme of things Evan didn't intend his comment to be so offensive but rather just a jab at Johnny. In that regard it has been blown out of the water. Both of them have been immature in the past and said stupid things.

I did forgive him after his apology tweet. That's the thing. But I don't think comments like that (whether in this situation or removed from it), no matter how trivial, are acceptable.

It goes beyond any lame Evan-Johnny feud. It is one thing for Evan fans to defend him regarding the context of Evan and Johnny's ongoing feud and to claim that Evan probably had no intention of offending an entire group of ppl, but on the other hand actually defending his comment as not only all right but "appropriate given the photos we've seen of johnny lately" is over the top and offensive.
    Last edited by iarispiralllyof; 08-10-2010 at 07:20 PM.

vCash
    How do we know that any of the "questionable" tweets/responses were actually made by Evan?
    Speaking here, as someone who does not use Twitter.

vCash
    and for the record, I accepted evan's apology and moved on.
    You accepted Evan's apology? What was he apologizing to you for?
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    http://www.twitlonger.com/show/310sov

Apologies to @JohnnyGWeir. Am taking measures to make sure something like this never happens again. The comment was insensitive, hurtful and offensive. Cannot apologize enough to Johnny and his fans.
    (again, it's hilarious he thinks only johnny's fans would've been offended). as if lgbt community + its allies and johnny's fans are one and the same

vCash
    if celeb A calls celeb B (who happens to be black) the n word, the insult has implications far beyond the individual but says sth about an entire race. celeb a thus as a public figure not only owes an apology to celeb B but if they were sane would issue an apology to the entire black community, etc., or anyone who was offended in general.

evan's apology was along the same lines.

just because the comment was made towards an individual doesn't mean (especially coming from a public figure) others weren't hurt in the process. obviously evan realized this or he would've only apologized to johnny.

I wasn't trying to be presumptuous in claiming that Evan owed me specifically an apology but I was among those offended along with being a Johnny fan, and he apologized to Johnny and his fans so..
    Last edited by iarispiralllyof; 08-10-2010 at 08:24 PM.

JEWELS.
    vCash
    GLAAD has written a blog post/response about the "Evan Lysacek Twitter Incident"

http://glaadblog.org/2010/08/10/evan...bia-in-sports/

Whether they realized it or not, what both Lysacek’s fan and whoever reportedly responded in Lysacek’s name may have thought was a cute jab at a rival, was actually rooted in the idea that anyone who does not adhere to rigid gender norms should be subject to ridicule. It’s no more innocent than the vicious bullying that children who are (or are perceived to be) LGBT have to endure every day.

vCash
    if celeb A calls celeb B (who happens to be black) the n word, the insult has implications far beyond the individual but says sth about an entire race ...
    IMO, use of that word (or any other racial/ethnic/ gender/etc. slur) says something about the speaker, but not about the group.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    You knew what he/she meant.

I'm one of the people who think that Evan made a poor taste joke and it's probably not the worst thing he's ever done or said in his 25 years. As far as the hacker nonsense goes, he needs to man up and own his mistake. As a Johnny uber I am quick to defend him and I see there are some Evan ubers who do the same. lol I don't think Evan would ever publicly bash and certainly not strike any other man whom he perceived as too feminine. I think it all has to do with his personal problems with Johnny (I have my own ideas of what those are). I don't think he's the brightest crayon in the box and he needs to consider what he puts out there publicly but he's not evil. Now let's all do the Vietnamese Waltz. lol

vCash
    I think it all has to do with his personal problems with Johnny
    I agree with this assessment, I think Evan is more Johnny-phobic than homophobic per se. Also, the real problem lies in the way Evan's tweet was interpreted, as some had ascribed to it a much broader, socio-political, and sinister context than was likely intended. It's understandable that certain groups of people possess sensitivities more easily impinged upon than society at large. However, I do feel like sometimes we savor taking sides and inveighing against slights or even perceived slights with bloviated indignation. I'm not an Evan fan nor am I a Johnny uber, well actually I like Johnny better than Evan, but my opinion is that this mini uproar has been way overblown.

Blogs, including celebrity blogs, can be verbal minefields ripe for media-driven scandals. Nothing generates publicity more than a perfect s**t storm, it's up to us to discern between fluff scandals and real outrage in order to respond appropriately.

Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast