Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Monaco's Royal to Wed

Prince Albert is engaged to a former South African Olympic swimmer. She is 32 and her name is Charlene Wittstock. No wedding date set yet for the longtime companions. According to protocol, they must now wait 6 months before they can wed.
    Congratulations!
    Royal Wedding

vCash
    Personally, I thought he'd never get married.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    Prince Albert is engaged to a former South African Olympic swimmer. She is 32 and her name is Charlene Wittstock. No wedding date set yet for the longtime companions. According to protocol, they must now wait 6 months before they can wed.
    Congratulations!
    Royal Wedding
    About time, isn't it? Albert is well into his 50s now. Congrats, anyway to the happy couple!
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Maybe he was inspired by seeing Princess Victoria of Sweden's wedding...
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    I'm surprised. I thought he'd keep living the life of a bachelor and that the throne of Monaco would pass to Princess Caroline.

But looking at the recent Swedish wedding invite list, I think they've been engaged for a while. Because why would Charlene be invited as a girlfriend to Prince Albert while Kate Middleton wasn't, as girlfriend to Prince William? Unless there was a personal friendship on Charlene's part to the Swedish couple, which I guess is possible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    About time, isn't it? Albert is well into his 50s now. Congrats, anyway to the happy couple!
    52. So early 50s!

Quote Originally Posted by nerdycool View Post
    I'm surprised. I thought he'd keep living the life of a bachelor and that the throne of Monaco would pass to Princess Caroline.
    I'm not surprised. I think, although I could be wrong, that the throne couldn't pass to Caroline. It goes through male hiers so unless he marries and produces a son, Monaco goes back to France.

It's one of those obscure and archaeic rules that no one thinks is still relevant, but no one wants to try out all the same
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    52. So early 50s!

I'm not surprised. I think, although I could be wrong, that the throne couldn't pass to Caroline. It goes through male hiers so unless he marries and produces a son, Monaco goes back to France.

It's one of those obscure and archaeic rules that no one thinks is still relevant, but no one wants to try out all the same
    I was in Monaco back in 1990 right after Caroline's husband died in the boating accident. The tour guide said if Albert does not have an heir, the throne would go to Caroline's son. Correct??

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    52. So early 50s!

No the Monaco succession has always been flexible. At the moment it is male preference primogeniture (ie sons before daughters, brothers before sisters, but women can succeed). At the moment, Caroline is Albert's heir, and her son Andrea after her.

There was a succession crises back in 1918 when the Prince of the time was unmarried and had no legitimate children, so they legitimated his out of wedlock daughter Charlotte (whose mother was a laundress!), and put her into the succession, having been formally adopted by her father. This was Ranier's mother, and she ceded her rights to her son, so she never did reign.

But as you see, they will do what they have to do to ensure the succession!
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Also I remember there was something about the last name Grimaldi, a few hundred years ago, a female was next in line, but her husband changed his name to Grimaldi to keep the name in tact.

vCash
    52. So early 50s!

I thought the Monaco going back to France rule was revoked a few years ago by France? Maybe I'm confused.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    I thought the Monaco going back to France rule was revoked a few years ago by France? Maybe I'm confused.
    No, you're right. In 2002, the Franco-Monegasque Treaty was renewed and made it so that Monaco would not revert back to France should a succession crisis occur. The original treaty was made at the end of WWI, when there weren't any legitimate heirs in Monaco. The nearest person at the time was a German prince, and France did not want that. Hence the first treaty.

Earlier in the 2002, the succession laws were changed so that heirs could only come from the ruling prince (at the time, Rainier III). But females could now be included, though males would inherit first. Should the line be exhausted (currently only 7 people), it would not revert back to France, but there would be a council that would elect a new ruler. The ratifying of the treaty with France later in the year made it official.

Franco-Monegasque Treaty

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    She is sort of Grace Kellyesque.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Prince Albert has certainly taken his time. He're hoping he has better luck at matrimony than his sisters.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    It's about time!! He and Charlene have been together for quite a few years now.

Many were saying on the weekend during the coverage of Victoria and Daniel's Wedding that Charlene was the best dressed lady there and that she certainly carried herself as a Princess. From all the photos I've seen over the last few days, I can't disagree w/any of that.

Congratulations to HSH on his Engagement and may Albert and Charlene be blessed w/much happiness!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post
    Personally, I thought he'd never get married.
    I'm shocked myself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    She is sort of Grace Kellyesque.
    She's pretty and regal looking but does she have pedigree? The part of me wonders if Albert's illegitimate children will be invited to the wedding.
    Last edited by Civic; 06-24-2010 at 04:54 AM.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Royals marry commoners all the time. I don't think Charlotte is a royal.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 06-24-2010 at 04:53 AM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Royals marry commoners all the time. I don't think Charlotte is a royal.
    I wasn't referring to titles but to her knowledge of and comfort around upper class Europeans. Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall was a commoner until she married the Prince of Wales. However, she grew up in a wealthy family, attended a Swiss finishing school and was already hanging out with a polo playing, fox hunting crowd when she met Prince Charles in the early 1970s.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I have no idea what her familiarity with court life is. But one can learn.

from Speedy Death

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Have you all seen the ring yet?

Now that's what you call a rock!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast