Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Duck Hunter
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    It's a matter of taste for the cat. Some like harder bristles and some like them softer. Given your cat, you might need a brush with harder and longer bristles, at least when the cat gets older. But, really, the trick is to get the cat to like it from the very beginning. My current cat likes being brushed, but my old cat would bite the brush (and get my hand) whenever I tried brushing anything besides the top of her head. You might want to look at reviews for various cat brushes at Amazon.

My cat's favorite toy is a wadded up piece of paper and a paper bag.
    Good point.. maybe we'll pick up a brush asap.

Thanks for the tips guys.. I think we might be a little obsessed with him because BF texted to tell me he (Tetley.. not BF lol) used the litter box

Oh.. we can't get him to drink any water. Is that normal for a kitten? He's eating soft cat food but so far he has no interest in the water.

vCash
    Cats don't drink a lot of water. No need to worry. And when he does drink water, there's a very good chance it won't be from his dish.

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    okay.. I know my parents' cat likes to drink it from the tap in their bathroom sink lol! He will drink if from a dish if he must though.. usually the dog's dish.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Awwww......what a beautiful kitten!!

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bobalina77 View Post
    Good point.. maybe we'll pick up a brush asap.

Thanks for the tips guys.. I think we might be a little obsessed with him because BF texted to tell me he (Tetley.. not BF lol) used the litter box
    Imagine the texts if you had a real baby!

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    That's what my mom said LOL!

vCash
    okay.. I know my parents' cat likes to drink it from the tap in their bathroom sink lol! He will drink if from a dish if he must though.. usually the dog's dish.
    But keep the toilet lid closed, because if kitty decides to have a drink from the toilet and falls in, it could be disastrous
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Tetley is so cute! I've heard that gray cats are super-cuddly. Our Frida is gray and black and she can be such an attention whore, especially when you want to go to sleep.

She likes drinking from the watering can. Once when she was little, she was exploring it and got stuck in the handle and freaked out for a good 10 seconds, running in a panic dragging this watering can behind her.

Kittens can get into trouble very easily, so make sure you close all containers/doors you don't want them getting into.

Frida's not much of a scratcher. We got her a scratching post early on and she took to it readily. We also trained any sort of play-biting out of her as well. When they scratch/bite you, make a cat-like yowl. That's how they know that they've hurt you and you don't like it. It's silly, but Frida learned quickly, and now doesn't make any sort of aggressive move at all, even when we're doing something that she doesn't really like. She's a total sweetheart.

vCash
    Yeah. My cat used to jump up on the bathroom sink and cry for me to turn on the faucet. She had me very well trained.

I was able to train her not to use her claws at a young age, though I still have some scars to show her sensitivity to loud noises. She once got so scared by a loud noise that she ran under the dishwasher, got caught up in some wires, freaked out and hyperventilated. So, the advice about being careful about what spaces are open is a good one. (I once accidentally locked my cat in the closet all day because I didn't see her run in there when I went to get my coat.)

in my underground bunker plotting your downfall
    vCash
    What a beautiful kitty! I like his name, too.

My cats don't like scratching posts but they love scratching boxes with corrugated cardboard. This isn't the kind I buy, but it's similar: http://www.petguys.com/-079593112000.html.
    When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed."
    Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Oh yes, do not leave any string attached to a needle around if you've been doing some mending. My parents found out the hard way when their cat started playing and chewing on the string to which there was a needle attached. She is not even a kitten.

She ended up swallowing the needle that had to be extracted by endoscopy. $1,500 worth of fun at the vet's.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Oh yes, do not leave any string attached to a needle around if you've been doing some mending. My parents found out the hard way when their cat started playing and chewing on the string to which there was a needle attached. She is not even a kitten.

She ended up swallowing the needle that had to be extracted by endoscopy. $1,500 worth of fun at the vet's.
    Lucky for me..and Tetley.. I don't sew much lol!

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Anything that resembles a string flapping around is considered a cat plaything. This includes bras or belts laying around.

vCash
    If he is not neutered yet be sure to do it before he learns to spray to mark his territory. If you wait you will never be able to break the habit and it will be impossible for him to be an indoor cat (unless you want to live in stench).
    Last edited by taf2002; 06-24-2010 at 03:02 PM. Reason: ETA: he's adorable

vCash
    He's so cute!

vCash
    Tetley is lovely!
    All of the suggestions here are good ones.

I'm sure that you will have a long and joyful relationship!

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    If he is not neutered yet be sure to do it before he learns to spray to mark his territory. If you wait you will never be able to break the habit and it will be impossible for him to be an indoor cat (unless you want to live in stench).
    Yes.. that will be done as soon as possible. We're both paranoid about that

Just me
    vCash
    Cute kitten. Beautiful eyes!
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    What a cutie! Congratulations!
    I don´t know in which type of a house you live, but be careful not to leave windows open. My first cat fell from th 5th floor when he was a kitten. (He then lived for 13 more years.)
    You will have years of happiness with Tetley. Great!

vCash
    Too cute!! If any of you are on my facebook, I posted pics of the kittens we had born under our shed by a mother cat. We took in one of them last week and found homes for the other 2. They are about 7 weeks old and 'Sally' is the cutest thing ever!! I love cats and I didn't think my husband would go for a pet but 'Sally' is ruling the roost already haha.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast