Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Skating schism at private Calgary club

Gone crazy. Be back soon.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    I had to read this article to figure out what a schism was, but this:

Figure skaters with ambitions, claim members of this “dissident group” — as directors call them — are favoured with all the ice time they need. Other are sidelined; forced to accommodate the preferred ice princesses’ schedule; stripped of a cherished coach who didn’t mesh with the new direction. Some parents allege their children have been insulted by coaching staff: called fat, or talentless.
    is pathetic. I can't imagine tolerating a facility that forced me to "accomodate an ice princess' schedule." LMAO. Absolutely hysterical. What world are these people living in?

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    I can't imagine tolerating a facility that forced me to "accomodate an ice princess' schedule." LMAO. Absolutely hysterical. What world are these people living in?
    It sounds like members aren't tolerating it - some are sending their kids to a public rink to get away from it.

I'm not part of the private club set, but I can imagine if I had a membership in a club that exclusive I'd have a hard time simply walking away over a shift in direction. The article is rather sensational, but I think the members have a point if what used to be a fun family center (for the extremely wealthy, anyway) is now repositioning itself as a training facility for elite athletes, especially if it's only in one area.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Yeah...I just have a hard time relating to this story, because I've never heard of a country club that has a skating facility, nor can I imagine what it would be like to have that opportunity, but I hope they get everything worked out. If I was a paying member and got bumped for an ice princess, that would be infuriating. I also had a hard time understanding why they banned certain coaches?

vCash
    Yeah...I just have a hard time relating to this story, because I've never heard of a country club that has a skating facility,
    I have, but the ones I know of only have ice for a few months in the winter, so they couldn't really sustain a competitive program, especially in today's competition environment.

vCash
    Well I think it's sad that little girls have to protest, they're kicking out coaches, and members being shunned. Skating should be fun and not causing this much drama. There are more important things in life than getting that caught up in your kid's training - perspective please!

vCash
    Ah the dramas of skating clubs. Happens everywhere.

The only ones who end up suffering are the skaters.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    The Glencoe was, like the Royal Glenora in Edmonton, one of the top skating clubs in the province at one time. The biggest difference at one time was that if a 'non-member' wanted to train at the Glencoe, it cost sometime like $10K just to get in the door (this from a parent of a skater in my town who moved to the Glencoe to train as part of a dance team). Getting into the Glenora was quite a bit cheaper up front. I have no idea what the fees were like once one got in the door.

The Calalta club has been growing for several years now. They have one sheet of ice at one of the public rinks in Calgary that was built for figure skating, and access to a second rink for things like test days and hosting competitions. It's much easier to get into Calalta than it is the Glencoe!

Ms. Weeks has a good reputation in skating circles in the province; it does not surprise me that her skaters would protest her dismissal. Good for them! I have to say though, it would be interesting to find out just how much 'extra' ice the 'princesses' were getting. Glencoe used to be very competitive; I can't imagine there was a ton of time for rec. skaters before. Did that change over the years as Calalta grew both in size and in reputation? Is someone now trying to bring a high level of competitive skating back to the Glencoe?

'Tis to ponder...
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    How is the Glencoe Club different than some of the clubs in Toronto?

This might be speaking out of ignorance, but aren't places like the Granite Club or Toronto Cricket/Skating and Curling Club private clubs? They certainly seem to be geared more to catering to the elite athlete than to creating a fun place for the family.

I don't know if they are comparable, though. Do they just have ice sports, or do they have other facilities like the Glencoe?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    How is the Glencoe Club different than some of the clubs in Toronto?

This might be speaking out of ignorance, but aren't places like the Granite Club or Toronto Cricket/Skating and Curling Club private clubs? They certainly seem to be geared more to catering to the elite athlete than to creating a fun place for the family.

I don't know if they are comparable, though. Do they just have ice sports, or do they have other facilities like the Glencoe?
    The Glencoe is very comparable to the Granite Club in Toronto, and the Royal Glenora in Edmonton - both of which cater to elite athletes and families at the same time. In fact they like having elite athletes around - it adds to the prestige of the Club. They are all private clubs with facilities for multiple sports. Strange that the Glencoe should all of a sudden get uptight about elite athletes training there. I think this is more about a popular coach being let go than anything else and I doubt that the writer is all that knowledgeable about figure skating. Vaughn Chipeur trains at the Glencoe, and Michael Slipchuk coached at the Glencoe for years before he became high performance Director for Skate Canada.

vCash
    Not sure if clubs are different in Canada than in the U.S., but I've never heard of a private club, or one that charges $10k to nonmembers. I've never heard of a club that you have to "get into." As far as I know, the clubs in the U.S., you pay your entry fee and that's it. Most clubs are probably around $100-$200 a year to join and anyone can join as long as they pay the fee. There's the rare club like Boston which requires over $1000 up front, and a few letters of recommendation from current members. That's the most difficult I've heard of to get into, but most clubs aren't like that at all.

vCash
    Not sure if clubs are different in Canada than in the U.S., but I've never heard of a private club, or one that charges $10k to nonmembers. I've never heard of a club that you have to "get into." As far as I know, the clubs in the U.S., you pay your entry fee and that's it. Most clubs are probably around $100-$200 a year to join and anyone can join as long as they pay the fee. There's the rare club like Boston which requires over $1000 up front, and a few letters of recommendation from current members. That's the most difficult I've heard of to get into, but most clubs aren't like that at all.
    You are misunderstanding. This is a private golf and country club. It's not just a "skating club" in the typical. This has golf, curling, swimming, a gym etc. It's like the Toronto Cricket & Curling Club where Yu Na Kim trains. You have to pay big money up front to join as a member, then you get access to their venues, restaurants, etc. Normally, you have to pay a monthly membership or dining room fee as well.

10K seems cheap to join. Most private clubs in Toronto and Vancouver are $30K plus to join.

Anyway, this sounds like a bunch of nouveau riche oil & gas and i-banker wives who are turning into skating moms from hell.

vCash
    Right, I get that it's a "country club" but I've never heard of one with an ice rink. Maybe they only have them in Canada. I also didn't understand why Calalta was a lot easier to "get into" - if Calalta is a public club, can't you just pay the fee and join?

vCash
    Right, I get that it's a "country club" but I've never heard of one with an ice rink. Maybe they only have them in Canada.
    There are some private multi-sports clubs in the US that include ice skating in the winter.

Here are a couple that I know of:

http://www.englewoodfieldclub.org/
    (Dick Button used to represent this one)

http://www.chevychaseclub.org/club/s...3004&NS=PUBLIC

As I mentioned, these only have ice in the winter and can't support competitive training without access to other ice elsewhere.

I don't know how many other such clubs there may be in the US or how they compare to Canadian clubs where winter sports are more central.

vCash
    Hm, interesting. Well I hope they get it all worked out and get back to skating.

vCash
    A number of the older skating clubs in the eastern US still have some remnants of the "country club" model. The Skating Club of Boston and Philadelphia SC&HS are probably the most expensive/exclusive, but e.g. at one point several years back I looked into a few other clubs in the New England area and they all had the same requirements about having sponsors submit your application to the club Board for approval, rather than being open to anyone who paid the dues. Broadmoor SC in Colorado does that too so it is not just an east-coast thing. The Detroit SC is very much a private club also but I have no idea how much it costs to join.

vCash
    Right, I get that it's a "country club" but I've never heard of one with an ice rink.
    Well skating of any kind is probably a lot more popular in Canada If you're curious about what services private clubs offer their members in Canada, here are links to some of their websites:

http://www.royalglenora.com/

http://glencoeclub.nemexinc.com/index.cfm?menu=2968

http://www.graniteclub.com/public/index.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    Vaughn Chipeur trains at the Glencoe, and Michael Slipchuk coached at the Glencoe for years before he became high performance Director for Skate Canada.
    I'm pretty sure that Vaughn Chipeur trains at Calalta.

Scott Davis' mother in law used to coach at the Glencoe - I'm not sure if she still does. Other than the coach named in the story, does anyone else know who coaches at Glencoe, or who their elite skaters are?
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    I noticed that none of these rinks have boards - the ice surface goes right up to the wall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Vaughn Chipeur trains at Calalta.
    So he does - my mistake - thanks for the correction. For some reason I thought they held a fundraiser for him at the Glencoe last year but clearly I was mistaken. Slipper coached there though right? (After he left the Glenora) Or did I get that wrong too?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast