Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I've heard lots of praise for Heyer's historical romances, but I don't care for the genre much. Maybe I'll pick up one some day just to see what it's like. But I got interested in her mysteries because I heard that Dorothy Sayers liked them, and I adore Sayers.
    Oh, you must read at least one!! I recommend Cotillion. I laughed so hard at the ending I cried! I don't usually do that It was my first Heyer novel and got me hooked. Within 18 months I'd bought close to 20 of her romances. Some are better than others, of course, but Cotiliion will always remain my favorite.

-Bridget

vCash
    Thanks, I'll keep that one in mind!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John 3 17 View Post
    I did however find a good use for the covers: on the new editions, there are a dozen small pictures of her romance books so I cut them out and made miniature books out of them.

-Bridget
    How does one make miniature books?
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John 3 17 View Post
    Oh, you must read at least one!! I recommend Cotillion. I laughed so hard at the ending I cried! I don't usually do that It was my first Heyer novel and got me hooked. Within 18 months I'd bought close to 20 of her romances. Some are better than others, of course, but Cotiliion will always remain my favorite.

-Bridget
    I'd recommend "These Old Shades" for a mystery lover. It's Georgian, not Regency, and the age gap between the two eventual lovers has squicked some modern readers out but the tale of twenty-year revenge is delightfully evil. The follow-up Regency "Devil's Cub" is good too.

But my favorite is and always will be "The Masqueraders" which pretty much launched the trend for cross-dressing protagonists and mixes in just about every other romance novel cliche to boot. I think it's great fun (hmmm, maybe time for a re-read.....although probably not, given the mountain of TBRs I already have.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    zaphyre, I haven't gotten to read The Masqueraders yet, but I did thoroughly enjoy Heyer's other female-in-disguise plot, The Corinthian!

-Bridget

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    How does one make miniature books?
    The way I do it: I cut out the little pictures on the back cover keeping the space of white in between. I fold twice to make a "spine". I place similar weight paper (poster board works) and attach it with glue to the white part to make a "back". Then I fill the space between the "covers" with blank printer paper using a glue stick. And, voila! my 1/6 scale diorama has a whole stack of Georgette Heyer romances like me!

-Bridget

vCash
    My mother offered me The Art of Killing Dragons by Ignacio del Valle. Has anyone read it?

vCash
    Oh Lord, I just hit the part in AK where Levin keeps stewing over the future of farming and the education of the peasantry. NOW I see why he gets called boring.

Why did writers used to have those huge digressions? Hugo with the Paris sewer system, Tolstoy with the future of farming . . . Say what you will about my adored Dickens, at least he had a firm grasp of the concept of "show, don't tell."
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Just skip over Levin and go back to Anna and Vronsky.

Thanks for the Georgette Heyer recommendations. Will be putting those on my TBR list.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    Just skip over Levin and go back to Anna and Vronsky.
    Alas, I can't. I cannot consider a book finished unless I've read every last word. Curses on the obsessive-compulsive genes I inherited from my dad!

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Alas, I can't. I cannot consider a book finished unless I've read every last word. Curses on the obsessive-compulsive genes I inherited from my dad!
    I'm so glad I do not have those genes. If I'm not hooked by the 2nd chapter, it gets tossed. Boggs down in the middle: tossed. I could be a great agent.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I'm so glad I do not have those genes. If I'm not hooked by the 2nd chapter, it gets tossed. Boggs down in the middle: tossed. I could be a great agent.
    I do exactly the same EXCEPT for books that are finishing up a series. I have to know how a series ends if I have invested the time in prior books. If the series ending book is really bad, however, I will just skim/read the end.

((Swedish skating dudes))
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jen_faith View Post
    I do exactly the same EXCEPT for books that are finishing up a series. I have to know how a series ends if I have invested the time in prior books. If the series ending book is really bad, however, I will just skim/read the end.
    I so wish I could do that. I think I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of works of fiction I've started and not finished. Most of the ones I never finished was for class. (There is no way in hell I'm finishing all 7 volumes of Remembrance of Things Past!).

I fell off the book buying wagon last week and ordered more books, which I picked up yesterday, so now I have 3 more Catherynne M Valente books to read, and a copy of Margo Lanagan's Tender Morsels. Whooops. I also downloaded the Kindle app for android phones, and gods only know how much that's going to end up costing me in the long run!

vCash
    I just realized that I lied. There is one series I did not/will not finish: Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.

I started reading the series one summer when stuck at a cottage on a lake with nothing to do. I found the books to be very funny (unintentionally) and had great fun mocking/predicting the concept and plot, especially the fine Scotsman and his lurvely arse being chased around the UK by an evil, rapist Englishman. It was heaving bosoms and all. Wheeeee! So I am easily and stupidly amused... *shrug*

I got her latest out of the library and found I had to return it only partially read. The story had become so convoluted and silly that I just couldn't bear to waste any more time on it. Seems most of the reviewers on Amazon agree.

So does this mean you will be reading books on the Droid? My eyes ache at even the thought of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilynn View Post
    I so wish I could do that. I think I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of works of fiction I've started and not finished. Most of the ones I never finished was for class. (There is no way in hell I'm finishing all 7 volumes of Remembrance of Things Past!).
    ... Whooops. I also downloaded the Kindle app for android phones, and gods only know how much that's going to end up costing me in the long run!

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jen_faith View Post
    I just realized that I lied. There is one series I did not/will not finish: Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.

I started reading the series one summer when stuck at a cottage on a lake with nothing to do. I found the books to be very funny (unintentionally) and had great fun mocking/predicting the concept and plot, especially the fine Scotsman and his lurvely arse being chased around the UK by an evil, rapist Englishman. It was heaving bosoms and all. Wheeeee! So I am easily and stupidly amused... *shrug*

I got her latest out of the library and found I had to return it only partially read. The story had become so convoluted and silly that I just couldn't bear to waste any more time on it. Seems most of the reviewers on Amazon agree.

So does this mean you will be reading books on the Droid? My eyes ache at even the thought of it.
    ITA about Gabaldon. I didn't finish the last one. She's decided she writes great literature and has lost all the humor and fun the first couple of books had. Now, I just find her annoying.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    I have really got to stop reading book reviews and start blocking e-mails from Amazon, Borders, and B&N. Two weeks ago, this appeared in my paper and I HAD TO HAVE IT NOW. So I bought it, but I was going to try to catch up with some of the books I already own.

Now this morning, this popped up in my inbox (under History Books, of all things), and of course I HAVE TO HAVE IT NOW.

*sigh*

Just me
    vCash
    ITA about Gabaldon. I didn't finish the last one. She's decided she writes great literature and has lost all the humor and fun the first couple of books had. Now, I just find her annoying.
    LOVED Outlander, each new one, less so. I've stopped reading them.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    I remember a series I gave up on reading. It was a mystery series, and the cat told part of the story, and that part was always humorous. When his human took over, it just all went downhill in about book three, when the author got away from the mystery aspect and SURPRISE! went for character over story. And I only liked the feline characters.

I just went to Amazon. It's the Midnight Louie series by Carole Nelson Douglas. I quit at around book eight, I think.

vCash
    for a great book, i'd recommend, "the twilight of american culture." it's so informative and one of my fav. books about the state of empire...if you will.

i just finished reading a thriller novel by koontz... "intensity." this book was very good. it's more thriller and not so much horror. i've read a few other of his books...

if you're into prehistory, i'd recommend, "reindeer moon." it's very hauntingly realistic...very stark and unforgiving novel about some siberian prehistoric bands surviving around 20,000 years ago. not quite as good as 'the clan of the cave bear,' but still worth a read.

if you're into classics, "emma," by austin is pretty good.

as for historical genre type books/romance... "legacy" is excellent. about eliz. the I.

i'm currently reading "1066." this is a history book about the norman invastion of course. it's not historical fiction... so far, so good.

vCash
    I like Gabaldon - with the exception of "The Fiery Cross", which dragged on and on and on.....

If you want something tighter, try her "Lord John" mysteries. They're more self-contained and while they contain some of the characters from the Outlander saga, the tone is completely different. And the whole 1700's gay subculture is pretty interesting.

I've given up on Laurell K. Hamilton completely. And I confess I've never made it through Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond Chronicles, no matter how many times I've tried.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast