Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Congratulations! I was not able to manage more than maybe 10 pages... I agree with you about Russian literature, I have tried to read Anna Karenina, War and Piece, Quiet Flows the Don, Dr. Zhivago, etc. with no luck, LOL.
    War and Peace killed me, but Anna Karenina was kind of interesting. Did you ever tried to read the Master and Margarita? I loved that book.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jl View Post
    War and Peace killed me, but Anna Karenina was kind of interesting. Did you ever tried to read the Master and Margarita? I loved that book.
    Oh, there are others around here who love Russian literature? I loved all those books, War&Peace, Anna Karenina and Master&Margarita.

Why didn't you like War&Peace? Too many characters, too long? In the beginning (I read it when I was 16 or 17) I had some problems to figure out who belonged to which family but then I loved it. I think, it starts off a bit slow, too many tea room conversations in French, lol...

vCash
    I did like Chekov's plays when I read a collection of them a little while back. I guess that was my favorite Russian literature. Dostoevsky has some interesting works, but (to me) has the same stilted feel as Tolstoy.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post

Good god, what kind of sick grad student were you? You don't actually read the book, you read the criticism. That gives you an early start on your paper and allows you to make sage and scholarly observations in your seminar.
    It was my very first class. I didn't know.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jl View Post
    I read both War and Peace and Anna Karenina when I was a teenager thirty years ago. I don't remember having trouble finishing them, although I never was able to get more than 1/3 of the way through any Dickens novel. My eldest daughter loved both War and Peace and Anna Karenina. I'll have to get her The Master and Margarita. Which translation is best?
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    I've been rather interested in Master and Margarita since Katia Gordeeva referred to it as her favorite book. [/frivolous] I may pick it up one of these days.

Some time ago there was talk of Andrew Lloyd Webber making that book into a musical. Considering the utter dreck he's been coming up with recently, let us hope he's given up the idea for good.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Everytime people start discussing how they're reading those ancient Russian tomes, I feel compelled to go read some smutty trash novel with zero redeeming value. On my way out to the pool with some smut.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    I loved Anna Karenina, at least the parts about Anna and Count Vronsky. Levin and Kitty bored me to tears. Also loved Doctor Zhivago.

I've been meaning to read Master and Margarita for some time. Perhaps someday I'll get around to it.

War and Peace scares me.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    I loved Anna Karenina, at least the parts about Anna and Count Vronsky. Levin and Kitty bored me to tears.
    Agreed. The goody-two-shoes tend to be boring.
    Also loved Doctor Zhivago.
    I honestly don't see why all the hooplah and the Nobel, no less. IMO, it's because it was the lone voice from behind the Iron Curtain. The language is just so awkward--I read it in Russian.
    I've been meaning to read Master and Margarita for some time. Perhaps someday I'll get around to it.
    Now THAT is a masterpiece. It would be good for you to be familiar with some of the Soviet history of the time to really appreciate the details. But you could still enjoy it. It's amazing.
    War and Peace scares me.
    As it should. I think Natasha Rostova is one of the most annoying literary characters. Yes, a lot more annoying than Daisy Buchanan.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Oh, I had a question about Anna Karenina that maybe one of you can answer. I don't think there's a female character in the entire book who isn't a princess. Dolly and Kitty are princesses, and Betsy, and I think Anna is one too, and on and on. What's that about? Either their criteria for princesshood was different from ours today, or some monarch somewhere had dozens and dozens of daughters.

vCash
    I enjoyed Anna Karenina and War and Peace. I read them when I was about 16. My English teacher was shocked and horrified and told me I was lying about reading them for book credit.

I don't know about all the princesses. I mean, you had Grand Duchesses, who were the daughters of the Tsar, and princesses would be their cousins and such. ie Tsar Nicholas II's niece Irina was Princess, while his daughters were Grand Duchesses.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I don't think Anna was one but Kitty was what is knows as knyazhna. Here's some info.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Oh, I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    ...Quiet Flows the Don...
    aka And Quiet Flows the Yawn.

BTW, for those interested: this the translation of Master and Margarita I recommend.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 06-28-2010 at 02:02 AM.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I enjoyed Anna Karenina and War and Peace. I read them when I was about 16. My English teacher was shocked and horrified and told me I was lying about reading them for book credit.

I don't know about all the princesses. I mean, you had Grand Duchesses, who were the daughters of the Tsar, and princesses would be their cousins and such. ie Tsar Nicholas II's niece Irina was Princess, while his daughters were Grand Duchesses.
    I remember reading one time that, by the end of the Romanov dynasty, to be a Grand Duke/Grand Duchess, you had to be a grandchild of a tsar.

Nicholas II's sister, Ksenia, married Grand Duke Alexander Mikhailovich, who was a grandson of Nicholas I. Therefore Irina was a princess.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    (just ordered a couple of Russian novels after all this discussion. Maybe I'm in need of pain!)
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Which ones, Kasey?

from Speedy Death

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    "Heart of a Dog" by Bulgakov and "Dead Souls" by Gogol. (but will finish up "Brida" and "The girl who played with fire" before starting either one!)
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post

BTW, for those interested: this the translation of Master and Margarita I recommend.

Thanks! Just put it on my amazon wish list.

vCash
    I don't care much for Tolstoy, but I'm a big fan of Chekhov (short stories) and Turgenev. Also Karolina Pavlova's A Double Life.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast