Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Re-registered User
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Sub-plots were left hanging and not picked up for thousands of pages - Matt's marriage to the Daughter of the Nine Moons being one example.

Maybe it would seem different if I read all the books at the same time, rather than waiting two years or so for each new one.
    I know I would have given up if I'd been waiting between books. I didn't read Harry Potter until after Deathly Hallows was published.

But the re-read is so much fun. There are things that happen in the first books that I completely missed or else didn't know it meant anything, yet are really neat to pick up on when you re-read it.

Spoiler

I'm a serial re-reader anyway. My Georgette Heyer, Jane Austen, Margaret Atwood, Isaac Asimov, Bernard Cornwell, Amy Tan, Orson Scott Card and Lois McMaster Bujold novels are all well worn. The only books I don't keep are the thriller/mystery type.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I would like to comment on some books, but I have misplaced my glasses after unpacking all my crap. Or rather, I'm certain a small orange ball of fur has misplaced my glasses.

I can only read like five pages without a headache, so I am reading, in five page sittings, Who Hates Whom. It's a somewhat snarky look at how a lot of modern conflicts have arisen.

I'd like to read more than five pages at a time. Sigh.

Hope you find your glasses soon!

May I just say Who Hates Whom sounds great. Off to put it on my wishlist.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Along with Empress Orchid, I am reading a Marilyn Monroe bio by Anthony Summers called Goddess. I had read it about 20 years ago but don't remember a thing. Plus my English wasn't as good back then so I wonder how much of it I understood.

I wanted to compare the biographical info with that of the novel Blonde I just finished. The novel is a tremendous, beautiful book and not in any way intended to be a biography. However, I do find a few drawbacks--one is the beautiful use of metaphor is marred by spelling out of the meaning as if JCO is afraid the reader won't get it. I get it, OK? You don't have to spoon feed me.

Another, a more serious flaw is that JCO had mostly failed to show Marilyn's very shrewd side and ability to advance in her chosen profession. She is mostly portrayed as a victim and a vastly insecure human being (which without a doubt, she was) but she could also be very smart in her career moves. These are not mutually exclusive character traits so I am not sure why JCO chose not to highlight yet another facet of this complex personality.

But the book is otherwise amazing. And the Summers biography is a good, absorbing read.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    Oh dear. *sigh*

I read all 11 books, bought the 12th and read it twice. Now I'm halfway through a re-read, made very enjoyable by Leigh Butler's re-read blog, and anticipating book number 13 due out later this year.

I have books I received as Christmas gifts still unfinished and a stack of books from a library book sale that I haven't opened yet.

Apparently I've morphed from a 48 year old woman into a 16 year old boy. I can't believe I only scored 97% on the nerd test.

(But the book is amazing during the re-read. I can't believe that Jordan could write a series with 1000's of characters and so many events and individual histories and yet have so incredibly few inconsistencies. It's like Harry Potter cubed.)
    THREE months?!? That's crazy! Each of those books is about 1,000 pages long. I salute you!

I should really read the first four books - I started with #5 since there was a 13 hour flight that I had to kill time on, and read forth from that. #5 took a really long time to read (obviously), but lots of the books past it were pretty enjoyable. Some of them are absolute bores, though - I think almost everything from books 9-11 could've been skimmed over in 100 pages.

What do you think of Brandon Sanderson's style in writing the last books? Personally I like it a lot, since it's so uncluttered and much more direct. No more page-long descriptions of dresses and 90% less sniffing. And I'm excited to see what happens in the last two books now.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jl View Post
    I should really read the first four books - I started with #5 since there was a 13 hour flight that I had to kill time on, and read forth from that.
    You should read them along with the re-read blog I linked. Leigh keeps pointing out things I miss even on the re-read. And Moiraine is such a key character but you've missed most of her contribution to the story.
    What do you think of Brandon Sanderson's style in writing the last books? Personally I like it a lot, since it's so uncluttered and much more direct. No more page-long descriptions of dresses and 90% less sniffing. And I'm excited to see what happens in the last two books now.
    There was no jarring change in style feeling, nor was there a feeling that someone was trying to copy Jordan. It just feels like someone else took over reading me the story of Randland and is reading at a better pace. The next book is going to be great because I think

Spoiler

‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Well, rfisher, if you want to know what happens to Archie and Gretchen, here ya go. If ya don't, just scroll on by.

Spoiler

So the possiblity exists that there will be MORE books.

In the grand tradition of rapidly produced series fiction, the first one was the best of the lot and the last one was the worst. And I think the main reason this series is so creepy is that Chelsea Cain seems to be very much in love with Gretchen herself.

Next!
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    You should read them along with the re-read blog I linked. Leigh keeps pointing out things I miss even on the re-read. And Moiraine is such a key character but you've missed most of her contribution to the story. There was no jarring change in style feeling, nor was there a feeling that someone was trying to copy Jordan. It just feels like someone else took over reading me the story of Randland and is reading at a better pace. The next book is going to be great because I think

Spoiler

Yes. The first four books are probably really good, since I keep reading abuot things like Draghkar and Darkhounds and piece it together from the Internet and all but it's not quite the same as if I'd read about them at first.

I hope so! I think Towers of Midnight (the next book) will have to be great because

Spoiler

I am such a nerd, geez! Though will we *ever* learn

Spoiler

I like that Sanderson didn't try to copy Jordan. That would've likely led to disaster, and I think had someone else went Jordan's pace I would've sworn off the series for good (though I thought I would've after Knife of Dreams, too).

vCash
    Hmmm...all these descriptions are tempting me to re-start the Wheel of Time (though I still stand by my original assertion that the only reason rjblue's SIL, IIRC, started her on the series is because he secretly hates her and wishes to drive her insane).

I started in between the fifth and sixth book, and by the time I had waited ten thousand years for the seventh and eighth books, I'd had enough. It was just Rand feeling sorry for himself, Nynaeve being bitchy, and everyone struggling to move three feet in the snow. But Jordan not writing them might be a plus for me--I think he lost himself in the details around the seventh book and couldn't come back.

Grrrrr...must resist...must not visit...library....
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    I'm plodding through Anna Karenina now. Holy moly, that thing is long. I'm starting to get into it now, though it took a while. Apologies to the fans, but Russian literature is really not my bag -- a lot of it comes across as rather stilted and stagy to me, no matter the translation (and this is supposed to be a particularly good translation). However, there's some really good stuff in here, like the part where Levin works on the farm. It seems to me Tolstoy wrote that sort of thing better than he wrote society parties.

And anyway, somewhere I picked up the idea that one ought to read Anna Karenina sometime during his or her life, so I'm going to read it or die trying.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Well, rfisher, if you want to know what happens to Archie and Gretchen, here ya go. If ya don't, just scroll on by.

So the possiblity exists that there will be MORE books.

In the grand tradition of rapidly produced series fiction, the first one was the best of the lot and the last one was the worst. And I think the main reason this series is so creepy is that Chelsea Cain seems to be very much in love with Gretchen herself.

Next!
    Gah. I suspected the last event would happen based on the 2nd book. I think I won't waste my money on this one. If the library gets it on audio I might listen. I agree that the first was riveting, the 2nd revolting and the 3rd redundant and boring. Cain is just recycling the plot through the books and apparently has nothing more to offer. I wonder if the sales have been sufficient for the publisher to waste their time on a 4th. I won't contribute to the cause.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I'm plodding through Anna Karenina now. Holy moly, that thing is long. I'm starting to get into it now, though it took a while. Apologies to the fans, but Russian literature is really not my bag -- a lot of it comes across as rather stilted and stagy to me, no matter the translation (and this is supposed to be a particularly good translation). However, there's some really good stuff in here, like the part where Levin works on the farm. It seems to me Tolstoy wrote that sort of thing better than he wrote society parties.

And anyway, somewhere I picked up the idea that one ought to read Anna Karenina sometime during his or her life, so I'm going to read it or die trying.
    At least you are reading Anna Karenina and not War and Peace.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    True.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash

If I had a nickel for every time I've started AK, I would never have to work again. However, I can never get past about page 40; it's at that point that I realize I don't want to spend 10 more minutes in the company of any of these people.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    I'm just about to start on 'Devil on the Cross' by Ngugi wa Thiong'o. Has anyone else here read it? I haven't read much African literature, other than South African novels and stories about apartheid and real classics such as 'Things Fall Apart' and 'A Grain of Wheat'. I thought Andre Brink's 'A Dry White Season' was over-rated but his 'Looking on Darkness' was so devastating that it took me about a month to recover from reading it.
    Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    If I had a nickel for every time I've started AK, I would never have to work again. However, I can never get past about page 40; it's at that point that I realize I don't want to spend 10 more minutes in the company of any of these people.
    Anna Karenina and Middlemarch, both. I would be an exceedingly wealthy woman.

vCash
    I did manage to make it through Middlemarch, but it was nearly the death of me. It wasn't the length; as I've said elsewhere, I'm absolutely batty about Dickens. But Eliot wasn't what you could call a lively writer.

vCash
    I did manage to make it through Middlemarch, but it was nearly the death of me. It wasn't the length; as I've said elsewhere, I'm absolutely batty about Dickens. But Eliot wasn't what you could call a lively writer.
    In grad school, I had a week to read that. My professor owes me a week of my life back.

vCash
    You have all my sympathy!!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Gah. I suspected the last event would happen based on the 2nd book.
    Yes, so did I; that was what I predicted to myself. But I kept hoping that Archie would pull a Holmes and go over the falls with his Dr. Moriarty. For one thing, Archie is clearly too damaged to ever be normal.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    In grad school, I had a week to read that. My professor owes me a week of my life back.
    Good god, what kind of sick grad student were you? You don't actually read the book, you read the criticism. That gives you an early start on your paper and allows you to make sage and scholarly observations in your seminar.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Congratulations! I was not able to manage more than maybe 10 pages... I agree with you about Russian literature, I have tried to read Anna Karenina, War and Piece, Quiet Flows the Don, Dr. Zhivago, etc. with no luck, LOL.

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast