Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash

We're Novel Lovers (But We're All Booked Up)

Carry on.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    This thread title seems the perfect slogan for a popular bordello.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    It's a slight variation on a bookmark I have .
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    I picked up the one Falco book I haven't been able to buy from the library last night, "A Dying Light in Corduba" and moved it to the read-before-sleeping slot, which relegated "Killer Cuts" to the bathroom.

I also collected three more of Marcia Muller's mysteries on tape to add to the two James Patterson's I have for car-listening. So I'm either going to have to take a couple of loooooooong trips in the car over the next three weeks or dig out a cassette player and headphones at work in orsder to get through all of those.

Add to that the nearly $200 haul from B&N last week (i had a bunch of gift cards and coupons so I paid less than half that) and I think I have reading covered for a while.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    I picked up the one Falco book I haven't been able to buy from the library last night, "A Dying Light in Corduba" and moved it to the read-before-sleeping slot, which relegated "Killer Cuts" to the bathroom.
    I have bedroom, bathroom, den, living room and car books all at the same time also. In fact, I have two bathrooms so there is a selection in each.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Thanks to Princess Victoria's wedding, I'm on a Scandinavian fiction kick:

The Mistress of Husaby by Undset,

The Royal Physician's Visit by Enquist,

and Music and Silence by Rose Tremain.

vCash
    Finished The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Purse and found it really disappointing after The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. The book doesn't really get interesting until over half-way through, and there are too many extra subplots that don't go anywhere. I understand that Bradley is setting up for the next few books, but it just muddied the waters, possibly because his mystery wasn't strong enough and instead of changing that, he added a bunch of extra filler.

I could deal with all that because I find in most mysteries, the actual mystery is the least interesting part if the characters were as good. In the first book, Flavia's sisters were kind of bratty to her, but in a mischievous, fun sort of way, and Flavia gave as good as she got. In this one, the sisters are downright vicious. The dad is more absent-minded, and there's a darkness in this one that wasn't as present in the first one. The secondary characters weren't as likeable or as fun to dislike.

But most disappointing to me was Flavia's voice--in the first one, she is precocious and does not act like your typical 11 year old, but it's written in such a way that you can suspend disbelief. In this one, she sounds more like the 50-some odd year old man that writes her, and her interest in poisons at certain points goes from being kind of naughty fun to signaling "future serial killer."

The one good thing about the book is that it gave me a new word--muddlerumpus, which basically means shenanigans. But in my head, I hear eccentric, middle-aged BBC characters in flowered dresses saying, "Mr. Thistlewaite, your addition of herring to the Earl Grey has caused a muddlerumpus of the first degree!" I'm trying to find a situation where I can combine "muddlerumpus" with "hootenany" to make the greatest, most annoying hipster sentence of all time.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Just finished "Walking into the night" by Olaf Olafsson. It's a novel about the butler of William Randolph Hearst, at Hearst castle. Decent enough read, with the main character being both likeable and despicable. There's a lot of back and forth between his current station and his earlier years.

Just starting "Veronika decides to die" by Paulo Coehlo. About three chapters in and it's quite intriguing.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Carry on.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    I picked up ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    Finished ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    Just starting ...
    Oh dear. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by rjblue on 07-19-2009
    My son-in-law gave me 11 volumes of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. I'm on page 81 of the first book- The Eye of the World.

I'll be back with my review of the series in three months...
    I read all 11 books, bought the 12th and read it twice. Now I'm halfway through a re-read, made very enjoyable by Leigh Butler's re-read blog, and anticipating book number 13 due out later this year.

I have books I received as Christmas gifts still unfinished and a stack of books from a library book sale that I haven't opened yet.

Apparently I've morphed from a 48 year old woman into a 16 year old boy. I can't believe I only scored 97% on the nerd test.

(But the book is amazing during the re-read. I can't believe that Jordan could write a series with 1000's of characters and so many events and individual histories and yet have so incredibly few inconsistencies. It's like Harry Potter cubed.)
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    I bought 42 books in the last 3 months (damn you, Feltrinelli International!) and, as usual, wanted to read them all at the same time. Finally settled on A Sultan in Palermo by Tariq Ali and Passione di famiglia by Cristina Comencini.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    Just starting "Veronika decides to die" by Paulo Coehlo. About three chapters in and it's quite intriguing.
    I read this one a while back. I'm anxious to hear your thoughts once you finish.

I just started The Last Child by John Hart. The premise is intriguing but it's off to a slow start. I'm hoping things pick up soon.

((Swedish skating dudes))
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    I read all 11 books, bought the 12th and read it twice. Now I'm halfway through a re-read, made very enjoyable by Leigh Butler's re-read blog, and anticipating book number 13 due out later this year.

I have books I received as Christmas gifts still unfinished and a stack of books from a library book sale that I haven't opened yet.

Apparently I've morphed from a 48 year old woman into a 16 year old boy. I can't believe I only scored 97% on the nerd test.

(But the book is amazing during the re-read. I can't believe that Jordan could write a series with 1000's of characters and so many events and individual histories and yet have so incredibly few inconsistencies. It's like Harry Potter cubed.)
    I'm going to start rereading them next year, I think. I haven't read book 12 yet, because I refused to buy any more of them in hardcover. I'm half hoping I'll hate Sanderson's take on it so I can get rid of all 15 of them once I'm finished with the series.

I finished 'Spirits in the Wires', and it was a middling effort from Charles de Lint. He still feels very "easy listening" to me, and I don't know if it's because his protags almost always end up with happy endings, which is a bit of an accomplishment considering how how many Newford books he's written by now. It's a pet peeve of mine when people write tech-y stuff into the plot and fall into the trap of naming the tech. It dates books quicker than Morozov can say "blonde!".

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilynn View Post
    I'm half hoping I'll hate Sanderson's take on it so I can get rid of all 15 of them once I'm finished with the series.
    Well. The Gathering Storm was the only book I had to re-read. I'm a new fan of the series, but from what I've read on the internet, I'd say the reaction to the book is 90% awesome, 8% adequate and 2% disappointed. Knowing that all the major plot points (all 485 of them) are all laid out and dictated by Jordan makes the transition to Branderson quite seamless.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Got a gift certificate for Mother's Day and have ordered The Help, Child 44, and a Thomas Cook book not out yet, The Last Talk with Lola Faye.

vCash
    I would like to comment on some books, but I have misplaced my glasses after unpacking all my crap. Or rather, I'm certain a small orange ball of fur has misplaced my glasses.

I can only read like five pages without a headache, so I am reading, in five page sittings, Who Hates Whom. It's a somewhat snarky look at how a lot of modern conflicts have arisen.

I'd like to read more than five pages at a time. Sigh.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I'm disappointed in Carolyn Haines' latest Sarah Booth Delaney. Ms. Haines is a better writer than this effort. Too much waffling angst from Sarah Booth and not enough and humor. I'm sending her an email with my issues. I hope she abandons the current story arc and goes back to what made the series charming and fun in the first place.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyCharm View Post
    I read this one a while back. I'm anxious to hear your thoughts once you finish.
    Finished this morning (last night was a slow night at work ) I really liked it, although I had the premise figured out pretty early in. It's mildly twisted (like me ) and at the same time, it gives one to thought of what we really are perceiving around us. Seriously, I think the mindset proposed in the book is similar to the one I've had all my life. Coehlo has a kind of unique writing style to my ears, hard to describe. The next book to start is "Brida" by the same author (was on a 2 for 1 sale).
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyCharm View Post
    I just started The Last Child by John Hart. The premise is intriguing but it's off to a slow start. I'm hoping things pick up soon.
    I just finished this book last night. It did drag in places, but I thought it was worth the time to read, and the ending was not what I expected.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    Well. The Gathering Storm was the only book I had to re-read. I'm a new fan of the series, but from what I've read on the internet, I'd say the reaction to the book is 90% awesome, 8% adequate and 2% disappointed. Knowing that all the major plot points (all 485 of them) are all laid out and dictated by Jordan makes the transition to Branderson quite seamless.
    I enjoyed Sanderson's book at lot - more than I enjoyed the last few Jorden books.

IMO this series was too long and Jordon lost control of it. There were two many wheels within wheels and they weren't moving in perfect alignment. Sub-plots were left hanging and not picked up for thousands of pages - Matt's marriage to the Daughter of the Nine Moons being one example.

Maybe it would seem different if I read all the books at the same time, rather than waiting two years or so for each new one.

But I don't think I can read them all again. The inspiration just isn't there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post

and Music and Silence by Rose Tremain.
    I read this some years ago and it was lovely and very memorable. The setting and era were not familiar to me and it really opened up a world. Made me reflect too on our understanding of various disabilities and "special" people now and how they were seen in the past. It's a little long and slow, but magnificent too.

Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast