Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    vCash
    Asia didn't host olympics since 1998, so it seems pretty sure South Korea will win, doesn't it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lexeoe View Post
    lillehammer is the sole bidder for the 2016 winter youth olympics.
    but that's not the same at all

vCash
    I'm banking on PC to win it. You know Asia gets all the "8s"

1988 Seoul
    1998 Nagano
    2008 Beijing
    2018 Pyeong Chang

But saw the pix of the biathlon competition in 2009 that took place in PC... they better have lots and lots of snow makers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lexeoe View Post
    2016 vote infuriated me big time. Rio was actually 5th before the shortlist but was put on the shortlist over Doha, Qatar since the IOC didn't like the dates proposed by Doha for the Games. IMO, that was the IOC paving the way for South America. No problem with Rio winning if they were the best bid but Chicago and Tokyo were far better bids and both cities went out in the first 2 rounds.
    But with the US and Japan in serious recession and Brazil with it's booming economy, I think this will be very positive for Latin Americans such as myself. Brazil has the $$$ advantage that they can use some of the same stadiums from the World soccer cup. Not bad for one of the top 10 world economies. Brazil however being more wealthy than Mexico seriously needs to have more than just 1 ice rink, it's depressing. If the weather is an issue, if Mexico could build a rink in hot cities like Merida, Villahermosa and very soon Cancun, I'm pretty sure you can build a decent sized rink in Rio.

Mexico housed the games pretty well in the late 60's. The genocide that happened in Tlateololco wasn't associated with the games, it was just political bad luck that both happened so close together.

Maybe Argentina and Chile will turn green enough to make a little push to improve their skiing and figure ice skating programs and might bid for a Winter Olympics someday. I still have a hard time believing Argentina has more ice rinks than Mexico but their best skaters are only juveniles and intermediates. They seriously need to hand out visas to Russian coaches like Mexico did.

I think housing the games in South Korea would be very interesting, wonder if North Korea would boycott the games or be accepting to open their borders a little more for the cash cow of tourism.

vCash
    AP newswire article: Bid cities for 2018 Winter Olympics make presentation to international audience
    The speeches and videos are an important warmup for next month's formal presentations to International Olympic Committee members in Lausanne, Switzerland. The IOC will select the host city by secret ballot at its session in Durban, South Africa, on July 6.

Pyeongchang, which is making its third successive bid after narrow defeats for the 2010 and 2014 Olympics, is considered the favourite as it makes its case for taking the Winter Games to a new market in Asia.

Munich, which hosted the 1972 Olympics, is seeking to become the first city to stage both the summer and winter games. Munich says it's time to bring the Winter Games back to Germany after an absence of 80 years.

Annecy, long viewed as the outsider, says it can offer "authentic" village-style games in the heart of Europe's most popular winter sports region.
    An article focusing on Munich's bid: http://www.gamesbids.com/eng/winter_...216135652.html
    Katarina Witt took the podium again to describe the athlete experience the bid will deliver.

“I came back to the Olympic movement to help Munich create a plan that delivers the ultimate athlete experience,” she said.

“We are not just promising full stadia, we guarantee full stadia."
    AP news brief: Japan considers 2020 [Summer] Olympics bid

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345