Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    is lutz crazy!!!
    vCash

2018 Winter Olympic Candidate Cities confirmed

Munich, Germany
    Pyeongchang, South Korea
    Annency, France

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...1z3FUYdRK78w0g

Haven't seen this anywhere else - sorry if I've missed it.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    What are the chances Yu-Na Kim will stay till 2018 if Pyeongchang gets it?

vCash
    Pyeongchang was also a candidate for the 2010 and 2014 Winter Olympics. Let South Korea host them this time!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    Pyeongchang was also a candidate for the 2010 and 2014 Winter Olympics. Let South Korea host them this time!

I'd be very surprised if they didn't.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post
    I'd be very surprised if they didn't.

Yeah, looks like they're already working on what seems to be accepted protocol for Olympic bids

http://www.insidethegames.biz/index....news&Itemid=71
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Ooh, Munich. With some comps held in Oberstdorf (lovely town with a ski jump)???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Ooh, Munich. With some comps held in Oberstdorf (lovely town with a ski jump)???
    Doesn't matter which country gets it Fumie will still want to go! Hehe jk Fumie.

vCash
    All SO far away! That's why I loved Vancouver.. 3 hour flight from LA and inexpensive flight and accommodations.. None of that to be had in Sochi or any of these other cities! UGH!

vCash
    Go Munich. Better bid, better venues, legacies of 1972 summer games, and better atmosphere. My philosophy after the 2016 Olympic vote is never sacrifice a quality bid just for the sake of spreading the games to other areas who haven't hosted them.

vCash
    Great post lexeoe! I wonder how Brazil's games will turn out!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eurodance2001 View Post
    Great post lexeoe! I wonder how Brazil's games will turn out!
    2016 vote infuriated me big time. Rio was actually 5th before the shortlist but was put on the shortlist over Doha, Qatar since the IOC didn't like the dates proposed by Doha for the Games. IMO, that was the IOC paving the way for South America. No problem with Rio winning if they were the best bid but Chicago and Tokyo were far better bids and both cities went out in the first 2 rounds.

i still can't forget how PyeongChang nearly won over Vancouver. good thing after Salzburg was eliminated all votes went to Vancouver thus paving the way for what was to be an excellent games sans the weather and the death of nodar kumaritashvili which will always cast a dark cloud over Vancouver 2010.

I think from an atmosphere point of view it may be excellent. not sure if they can equal Lillehammer, Sydney and Vancouver. The rest, i reserved judgement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    What are the chances Yu-Na Kim will stay till 2018 if Pyeongchang gets it?
    Or most likely to light the torch? Could still compete and light the torch too!

vCash
    if PC gets it Yu-Na will most likely light the cauldron.

vCash
    Asia hasn't hosted a Winter Games since 1998. It's probably their time. I was surprised PC didn't get 2014. But I would love to visit Munich, and this would be a great excuse. Katarina Witt would have to light the cauldron, no?

I thought France REALLY wanted a Summer Games. How serious are they about this bid?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Asia hasn't hosted a Winter Games since 1998. It's probably their time. I was surprised PC didn't get 2014. But I would love to visit Munich, and this would be a great excuse. Katarina Witt would have to light the cauldron, no?

I thought France REALLY wanted a Summer Games. How serious are they about this bid?
    I'm not sure how serious France is about the Annecy bid, but I believe Gwendal Peizerat is involved with the French bid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lexeoe View Post
    2016 vote infuriated me big time. Rio was actually 5th before the shortlist but was put on the shortlist over Doha, Qatar since the IOC didn't like the dates proposed by Doha for the Games. IMO, that was the IOC paving the way for South America. No problem with Rio winning if they were the best bid but Chicago and Tokyo were far better bids and both cities went out in the first 2 rounds.

i still can't forget how PyeongChang nearly won over Vancouver. good thing after Salzburg was eliminated all votes went to Vancouver thus paving the way for what was to be an excellent games sans the weather and the death of nodar.
    Chicago bid not come out very well during the second phase of evaluation, Madrid came out far better than Chicago. Chicago if at all, was in same level as Rio. I am glad Rio won it since this will be first games in south america.

PyeongChang will have competition from Munich since the most dominant winter olympic nation in recent years have only hosted one winter Olympics, that too in 1936 in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. So, lot of european member states will support the bid... PyeongChang can take some solace from the fact that IOC members may not want 2 successive winter games in europe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post

yeah Asia deserves the games but for me another bid is better than PC for 2018. As for Germany, either witt, maria riesch, andre lange or even katja seizinger would be choices to light the cauldron. i think france is really aiming for paris 2020 or 2024 and would liek to establish goodwill before the buenos aires vote in 2013.

vCash
    I'm all for Munnich!

vCash
    I have a strong feeling that Munich will get it. What do 2010 host Canada, 2014 host Russia, and Germany have in common? All are very dominant winter sports nations and big countries with a lot of influence within the IOC. Most winter sports athletes are from Europe and the majority of the rest are from North America. They want a European winter games for travel convenience and for the best facilities and atmosphere (i.e. the cheering crowds for alpine skiing or biathlon). Most of the IOC members are European as well, and there's a bit of political strategizing as well: they want to get Germany out of the running for the Summer Olympics for at least a decade or two. Also, a very prominent and influential member of the IOC is their vice president Thomas Bach of Germany, so I'm sure he will do a lot of effective persuading.
    Last edited by icedance21; 06-23-2010 at 12:14 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    Chicago bid not come out very well during the second phase of evaluation, Madrid came out far better than Chicago. Chicago if at all, was in same level as Rio. I am glad Rio won it since this will be first games in south america.

PyeongChang will have competition from Munich since the most dominant winter olympic nation in recent years have only hosted one winter Olympics, that too in 1936 in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. So, lot of european member states will support the bid... PyeongChang can take some solace from the fact that IOC members may not want 2 successive winter games in europe.
    Madrid was technically last in the evaluation. The second phase of the evaluation practically kicked Madrid from behind and was made obvious that it was the least likely to win of the 4. For Chicago there was an issue on whether Mayor Daley will sign the host city agreement or not which was eventually eased and even promised will write off any overruns, typical issue surrounding a US bid since US bids are privately financed as opposed to other bids. If you read the summary of the evaluation it was pretty skewed towards Rio. They're events are being held in four clusters with considerable travel times. its good getting the games in South America but as what i said not at the expense of better bids like Chicago or Tokyo. Samaranch's plea to give Spain one more games before he dies was not only in bad taste but may have also swayed voters for either chicago or tokyo to vote for madrid instead. there are considerable amount of cities in europe who wants to host 2020. rome is already the italian candidate so i'm certain they won't be voting for munich or annecy. i don't have problems about consecutive games in the same area. IMO, if a bid is really good but is on the same area as the previous host, give it to them. Plain and simple. Albertville as i read wasn't fondly remembered and wouldn't have hosted if Samaranch hasn't interfered to ensure victory for Barcelona over Paris. Falun, Sweden was the favorite to win the 1992 Winter Games after it placed second to Calgary but that didn't happen. You can read Andre Jennings' the great olympic swindle and you can paint a clearer picture.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast